Warmest hooded full suit and favorite winter gear

Jul 4, 2006
New England
Figure it's worth asking while there's still a forum to post on! Now that the air temperature is dropping, the water won't be far behind. Everyone has their limits, typically I'll surf down to about 20 degree air and 38 degree water. I'm probably due for a new hooded 6/5 or 5/4 and boots, and the older I get I just want to be warm. I think there are enough sub $500 options to rule out a custom suit, but my days of budget suits are in the past. The last 5 years I've had 5/4 drylocks and they've been okay, but my 2018/19 suit flushes bad in the chest, has since day 1, so I'm out on xcel suits for the next round.

I've heard good things about the billabong ultra carbon furnace and patagonia r4s (save for stretch on the r4s). Seems like most people up here have flash bombs, drylocks, or visslas.

Curious about the needessential 6/5/4 premium but again, don't want to cheap out vs a warmer suit. Feral is getting a lot of love in the 3/2 post going on and they have a 6/5/4 that is reasonably priced, but tough to spend $400 without any reviews/feedback.

As an aside, I've had good luck with hotline 7mm boots, and I don't think I've ever had bad pair of gloves or mitts (drylocks, visslas 7mm, flashbomb 3/2 gloves all work great).

So what have you been impressed with lately or have your eye on?

Last edited:
Aug 29, 2019
This is a good topic. Boots, good success with anything thick enough, oneill, Patagonia, needs, ripcurl. Patagonia lobsters and mitts for colder days, otherwise like Patagonia and oneills for thinner gloves.

Wetsuits are warm×flexible in this order: isurus 6/5, 7till8 6/5(think they only have 5/5 now), oneill psychotech 5.5/4, billabong furnace 6/5(warmer than oneill, but not as stretchy). Will soon try a new Patagonia R4, have multiple 5/4's but these are my summer suits.

Never been cold in the isurus, or 7till8's. This despite surfing pnw year round, and storm surfing...ie, snowing and 30-40kt winds, water 4-6°C(desperation surfing). Isurus the king for warmth and stretch, with 7till8 a nose behind. Will soon try feral. Really love Yamamoto rubber.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Billabong Furnace Carbon is pretty warm. I think Drylock or Rip Curl Flashbomb are a little warmer but the billabong might be a little more flexible.

Patagucci R4 is warm but is garbage in every other way. Stiff, leaky, itchy lining, etc.

My buddy says the needsessentials are similar to an Xcel or whatever but much cheaper. Can't speak on it myself though, haven't tried one.

I still think Xcel booties and gloves are my favorite. I prefer Infiniti gloves over drylock.

I'm still digging my 5/4 Buell for the water temps we get. I don't think it's quite as warm as the warmest 5/4's but it's pretty flexy, cheap and is holding up well.

Reactions: johnson7

billypilgrim

Nep status
Apr 19, 2017
Billabong Furnace Carbon is pretty warm. I think Drylock or Rip Curl Flashbomb are a little warmer but the billabong might be a little more flexible.

Patagucci R4 is warm but is garbage in every other way. Stiff, leaky, itchy lining, etc.

My buddy says the needsessentials are similar to an Xcel or whatever but much cheaper. Can't speak on it myself though, haven't tried one.

I still think Xcel booties and gloves are my favorite. I prefer Infiniti gloves over drylock.

I'm still digging my 5/4 Buell for the water temps we get. I don't think it's quite as warm as the warmest 5/4's but it's pretty flexy, cheap and is holding up well.
I only had to start rocking gloves last year, but the drylock gloves are a pain in the ass to get on. Are all gloves this annoying? I may look into the infiniti gloves. Was also considering just getting a pair of mittens. Don't really wear gloves, except for the coldest days here in SENC or if I go up to the outer banks. Also I just got a pair of 6mm solite boots. Excited to see how they go this year.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
I only had to start rocking gloves last year, but the drylock gloves are a pain in the ass to get on. Are all gloves this annoying? I may look into the infiniti gloves. Was also considering just getting a pair of mittens. Don't really wear gloves, except for the coldest days here in SENC or if I go up to the outer banks. Also I just got a pair of 6mm solite boots. Excited to see how they go this year.
no the infiniti gloves are easier, they don't have that tight gasket around the wrist that just ends up blowing out after a few uses.

none of the gloves last me very long. 6 months if the water is cold and I'm surfing a lot.

doc_flavonoid

Michael Peterson status
Dec 27, 2019
Old school but still abailable for a reason.

O’Neil mutant. Done.
mutant is a great suit. one of the best warm to weight ratio available. suuuper flexible. but...

no way is it the warmest suit. good down to low 50's water as long as you keep moving and its not fucking cold howling offshores.

vissla north seas blows doors off the mutant in the warm department.

oh and hotline boots... no gloves

Reactions: sdsrfr
Jul 4, 2006
New England
I've been really happy with my 7mm visslas mitts, going in their 3rd season and first two years they were never a weak point.

Drylocks mitts and drylocks sleeves together might be the worst combination, with both ends having that tight drylock gasket.

I did try the 8mm solite boots and actually hated them, I'd get about an hour in to a session and then my feet would start to go numb. The fit wasn't great, my second toe is a little longer than my big toe so I'd start to get some pressure and then they'd go downhill fast. Also the hardest boots to get on and off, wasn't welcome when trying to change outside in 20 degree weather.

Those yamamoto suits look intriguing, but I don't know if I can convince myself to spend 700 on a suit. I usually buy a new winter suit every 3 years, sometimes 2, and cycle the older suit in for double sessions or morning sessions after an evening session. That extra $200/$300 would make me want to get at least 4 to 5 years out of a suit. I get 4 to 7 years out of my 4/3s and 3/2s (granted they're only usable May through October here), but I feel like those suits you can tolerate a leak or a repair. When it's a blizzard and you're getting rolled in sub 40 degrees water, the last thing you need is a leak or constant flushing, which is why I'm going to replace my drylock this year. Chest gasket just pours water in when water hits at the right angle. It's too bad, my previous drylock 5/4 didn't have the issue, I think there was more overlap on the neck gasket.

I will say, I love the newer fleece linings in most of the new gear, great addition in general

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
I like all my Drylock stuff especially the 7mm mittens and boots. The suits are less good than they used to be but I haven't found a replacement.

Yewstreet

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 8, 2019
Ive been using a 3.5/3mm Feral with a hood in SF. Warm, but I could see you getting cold if you were surfing a spot with long lulls

Reactions: oeste858

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
Are these really worth two 5/4 O’Neill hyperfreaks? More or less. Just curious cause I’m interested in trying one.

But it’s bit difficult when I know I can get two suits I like / that work for the price of one.

Reactions: mundus

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Are these really worth two 5/4 O’Neill hyperfreaks? More or less. Just curious cause I’m interested in trying one.

But it’s bit difficult when I know I can get two suits I like / that work for the price of one.
Having 2 5 mils is a really good thing for cold areas, always a dry suit to get in.

Last edited:
Reactions: oeste858

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
mutant is a great suit. one of the best warm to weight ratio available. suuuper flexible. but...

no way is it the warmest suit. good down to low 50's water as long as you keep moving and its not fucking cold howling offshores.

vissla north seas blows doors off the mutant in the warm department.

oh and hotline boots... no gloves
For Southern CA (San Diego) overkill but parts that actually get cold maybe not so much.

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
I get a new one of these every couple of years. Very warm and flexible. I've surfed NJ as cold as it gets in these suits. On the coldest days I can usually last an hour and a half. I've found 6mm suits to be overkill. Combine a good 5/4 with 7mm boots and good gloves and you can get through most anything.

Reactions: kconnor

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016

If I lived where i needed a suit like that I’d get two Isurus suits.

Right now I have two 3/2s and two 4/3s.

Reactions: chilly1

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
I get a new one of these every couple of years. Very warm and flexible. I've surfed NJ as cold as it gets in these suits. On the coldest days I can usually last an hour and a half. I've found 6mm suits to be overkill. Combine a good 5/4 with 7mm boots and good gloves and you can get through most anything.

Can you expand on the 6mm being overkill? Is it too stiff to make the act of surfing enjoyable? Would you last 2 hours, 2.5 hours?

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
Can you expand on the 6mm being overkill? Is it too stiff to make the act of surfing enjoyable? Would you last 2 hours, 2.5 hours?
I find 6mm suits to be too restrictive. If you can't move, what's the point. I'd rather surf a shorter session and be able to move.

Regarding lasting 2 hours......at what temperature? At 45 or above water and air absolutely. At 34 degree water and 15 degree air which is the coldest I've been out in in recent memory no way. 45 minutes barely at those temps.

Also makes a big difference if the sun is out. Bright sunlight makes a big difference.

Reactions: daave