Warmest hooded full suit and favorite winter gear

trevorbc

Michael Peterson status
Jun 27, 2012
cold
I’ve gone through all the brand’s winter suits and I’m back to O’Neill being the best. The hood does need a little improvement though still as it is really tight on the jaw.

• Love
Reactions: YakAk and wedge2

trevorbc

Michael Peterson status
Jun 27, 2012
cold
The body glove mitts I use to swear by however I couldn’t find them last season. Dead of winter the 8mil solute boots plus their little under socks are my go to. State of Maine for reference. Winter surfing for 33 years, I’ve gone through a lot of cold water gear.

kdropin

OTF status
Feb 28, 2010
LI,NY/ TI,NC
I’ve gone through all the brand’s winter suits and I’m back to O’Neill being the best. The hood does need a little improvement though still as it is really tight on the jaw.
you don't think the xcels are warmer? love the oneills, fit me the best but i dont think theyre all that warm

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
My issue lately is that the Xcels are warmer for sure as far as wind/outside temp but my last few leak in the seat (despite being sent back for repairs) so I'm warmer on the outside but sitting in a pool of cold ass water literally freezing my balls off.

Tradeoffs...

you don't think the xcels are warmer? love the oneills, fit me the best but i dont think theyre all that warm

Reactions: kdropin

wedge2

Billy Hamilton status
Jan 20, 2011
Maine looking ready to fire next week

Reactions: trevorbc

menobrah

Gerry Lopez status
Feb 28, 2021
My issue lately is that the Xcels are warmer for sure as far as wind/outside temp but my last few leak in the seat (despite being sent back for repairs) so I'm warmer on the outside but sitting in a pool of cold ass water literally freezing my balls off.

Tradeoffs...
I eventually pee through all the seats of my wetsuits too.....

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
Unfortunately the suit was leaking from the get go. Although peeing in it probably didn't help.

My theory is that compared to my older Xcels the seam tape on the newer ones is narrower in the seat. So when you are sitting and the seat flexes, the seam stretches and leaks. The old wider tape prevented this.

Or the quality and construction have just gotten worse over the years. Both may be true.

I eventually pee through all the seats of my wetsuits too.....

nowayout

OTF status
Nov 8, 2010
So no go on the Xcels? The Rip Curl I ordered doesn't fit good. Xcel ML always fit the best.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
So no go on the Xcels? The Rip Curl I ordered doesn't fit good. Xcel ML always fit the best.
The rep on the Rip Curls is they're light and flexy but not that durable. I've had a springsuit that matched that. Shortsleeve fullsuit is only one season and one trip old so too soon to tell.

Xcels fit me pretty well. I don't have as many complaints as others but generally by the end of the second season, latest, some gloop needs to get glopped onto the **** compartment zone.

Reactions: nowayout
Oct 25, 2019
Data point: wore my psychotech and Buell back to back the other day, both MTs, and the Buell is definitely slimmer fitting. I’m 6’1 165 and built like a stickbug.

I’d say my Xcel MT sits in between, perhaps closer to the Buell.