Warmest hooded full suit and favorite winter gear

Aug 29, 2019
i have last years model. don't know liner. its not nearly as warm as xcel. the oneill fits me better too. but its lighter and more flexible
That’s interesting that you notice this. I’ve felt that my O’Neill 5.5/4+ psychotech was a bit warmer than my xcel drylock x 5/4. I will try them again on the same day soon. They are both nice suits for sure. But I am looking for warmer!

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
I bought a new PsychoTech 5/4 last year hoping to replace my 5/4 Drylock. Unfortunatley the stretchy material in the shoulders and arms is also pretty wind permeable so if it's in the 30s or 40s and there's some wind, you feel it.

The O'Neil is more of a sunny day or early winter suit than a February/March freezing blizzard suit. Had to go back to my leaky DryLock for when it's cold.

I think basically it's flexible or warm. Choose one.

That’s interesting that you notice this. I’ve felt that my O’Neill 5.5/4+ psychotech was a bit warmer than my xcel drylock x 5/4. I will try them again on the same day soon. They are both nice suits for sure. But I am looking for warmer!

Aug 29, 2019
I bought a new PsychoTech 5/4 last year hoping to replace my 5/4 Drylock. Unfortunatley the stretchy material in the shoulders and arms is also pretty wind permeable so if it's in the 30s or 40s and there's some wind, you feel it.

The O'Neil is more of a sunny day or early winter suit than a February/March freezing blizzard suit. Had to go back to my leaky DryLock for when it's cold.

Good point about the wind. I hadn’t noticed but now realize that I don’t use the O’Neill in the wind but defer to them ther heavier suits. Thanks for the info.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
sorry, I meant dung at the horizon
Pretty sure you meant dong
Damn, that stinks. Shouldn't be that way.
My search is over: Isurus zipperless in LT is my goldilocks suit. Fits me like a glove. I have only tried one brand's suits with Yamamoto rubber, but it has the best combo of warmth + flex of anything I've worn in 35+ years. I understand there are other similar brands and proprietary rubbers that are surely comparable. But no need for me to reinvent the wheel. I've now got the same suit in 3 thickness/styles and am stocked no matter the season. Everyone's needs, tolerances, preferences, and body shapes are different, so YMMV

May 14, 2011
I've just got a 5/4/3 TUMO from matuse - first go with the brand but they had a friends/family sale back in September i had to jump on it given the price.

The "3" part has me a little concerned for deep winter here in NY - anyone have experience?

daave

Gerry Lopez status
Dec 28, 2002
Do not have experience with that suit… but do have a good amount of NE water time and would not want it for NY

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
I've just got a 5/4/3 TUMO from matuse - first go with the brand but they had a friends/family sale back in September i had to jump on it given the price.

The "3" part has me a little concerned for deep winter here in NY - anyone have experience?
@Aruka from NWP :cheers:

Reactions: Aruka

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW

I've got a 5/4 Tumo. I'm not sure if it's got 3mm or not? It's warm enough for the PNW (47F-55F or so) and overall I like the suit. Well designed hood and chest zip and all that. I have no idea how it would hold up for deep NY winter. In my mind that would be 6/5 territory but I'm a tall, skinny guy who's a baby about the cold.

Reactions: ReForest and jkb

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
When they first came out I bought a Matuse 4/3. It was very flexible and worked OK in California winter when the sun was out.

Once I got it back to NY, it was a complete fail. There was very little 4 mil material and unless the air temp was warm, I froze in it. Not good for windy or cloudy days which unfortunately comprise lots of my surfing. It felt like a moderately warm 3/2 at best.

I swore off Matuse but perhaps they improved since that first round of suits. I imagine they have or wouldn't still be in buisness. I relegated mine to CA till it fell apart.

Reactions: lovisa and jkb
May 14, 2011
Thanks all - seems Matuse has their cold water suits designed with California in mind... colder air water temps and warm air.... wont fly by me... looks like it's going up for sale soon...

Mar 2, 2019

Bought one on the same deal. Great suit for PNW as stated. It's a little stiff compared to a sponge like O'neill. Much better quality though, and holds it temp rating for a long time, unlike previous mentioned sponge that's only good for a few months.

NY winter? No way. You'll freeze. I'd want a 6/5 Billabong or Xcell.

Reactions: Aruka