Warmest hooded full suit and favorite winter gear

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Feral sizing wouldnt work for me as a tall, slim person. Im curious how you hooded feral users cope with the lack of visor on the hood. That would bother me I think.

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
Feral sizing wouldnt work for me as a tall, slim person. Im curious how you hooded feral users cope with the lack of visor on the hood. That would bother me I think.
that's odd to me. as a two season hood wear doo I don't get it. I tore the hood off my mutant. what purpose does it have?

Jul 4, 2006
New England
Honestly it doesn't seem any different than a hood with a visor, other than it looks maybe a little aesthetically off. I think I'll get a full 3rd season out of my 6/5/4 feral in 39-43 degree water, limiting factor remains my feet, not my suit.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
that's odd to me. as a two season hood wear doo I don't get it. I tore the hood off my mutant. what purpose does it have?
You tore the visor off, you mean? I dunno they just look dorky without it, I think. Its nice to have a little sun protection too.

Reactions: oeste858

daave

Gerry Lopez status
Dec 28, 2002
Kind of wish it had a visor but don’t notice it much in water. Usually not that bright/sunny in winter here.

They are a little short. I’m a L in almost every brand. I’m only 6’ and L feral works for me but I think LT would fit slightly better. I might grab a LT 5/4 this season. My 6/5/4 will be going on 3rd season. Suits usually don’t last that long for me.

Reactions: Aruka
Aug 29, 2019
Anyone have the new O’Neill psychotech with the tb4 neoprene/liner?

Jus wondering if it is any warmer than the prior version tb3? Specifically 5.5/4+ thickness, or even the thinner ones if you have it, thanks.

Reactions: Aruka

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
i have 3 suits i never wear cuz theyre 5/4mm and hooded
i wear a medium but theyre large-short and fit ok
its more like a medium-wide

funny how i have a medium tall 4/3

i gotta get some trades goin

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
I just put my 4/3 on for the first time this season because it's been chilly up here. I use a standard 4/3 and then wear an Oneill Mutant hood under my chest zip flap. Works really well.

Last edited:

bluengreen

Michael Peterson status
Oct 22, 2018
SF x Encinitas
I negged my Need Essentials 4/3 after one use, but I'm finding that it's actually the warmest 4/3 in my quiver. Now that it has broken in, it fits well and isn't flushing. Sweating my ass off in this thing in 57 degree water. Not sure about longevity, but recommend for warmth. Also, quick to dry.

Mar 1, 2010
Anyone have the new O’Neill psychotech with the tb4 neoprene/liner?

Jus wondering if it is any warmer than the prior version tb3? Specifically 5.5/4+ thickness, or even the thinner ones if you have it, thanks.
i have last years model. don't know liner. its not nearly as warm as xcel. the oneill fits me better too. but its lighter and more flexible

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
I negged my Need Essentials 4/3 after one use, but I'm finding that it's actually the warmest 4/3 in my quiver. Now that it has broken in, it fits well and isn't flushing. Sweating my ass off in this thing in 57 degree water. Not sure about longevity, but recommend for warmth. Also, quick to dry.

lined?
Liquid taped?

or nah?

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Liquid sealed, taped and lined. 4 mil everywhere but shoulders and arms. Lined everywhere but shoulders and arms.

It's this one: https://www.needessentialsusa.com/collections/mens-wetsuits/products/4-3-liquid-taped-thermal-chest-zip-wetsuit-new

My only qualm is that the LT is a touch too small. Size calc recommended XLT, but they were sold out.

If this suit lasts 2 seasons, would bang again.
hmmmm
The 20% off code they were running seems to have ended.
I was strongly considering at $208. The zipper on my old Rip Curl F bomb just popped off.

Reactions: bluengreen