Warmest hooded full suit and favorite winter gear

Jul 4, 2006
New England
Been keeping my eyes on pricing. Looks like there are roughly three price bands for the higher end range suits being made:

>$500 - custom Japanese Suits, Isurus ($700+), Patagonia r4/5, Cleanline shop suit, Bodyglove 6/5 Red Cell, Matuse Tumo ($600+)

$400 - $500 - Rip Curl Flashbomb, O'neill Psychotech, Billabong Furnace, xcel drylock, Feral 6/5/4, Bodyglove 5/4

<$350 - Vissla North Seas 5.5/4, NeedEssentials 6/4.5/3.5 ultra Premium thermal, second tier suits (infiniti, hyperfreak, Cyber, etc.)

Really curious about the 6/5/4 Feral...anyone try one of those? The absence of any fleece lining and smoothie looks like it could be problematic sub 45 degrees. Otherwise I'm between a Billabong Furnace 5/4 and a Psychotech 5.5/4; price is about the same and never tried either, both seem pretty well reviewed. Wonder if there will be the usual black friday/cyber monday sales this year...

Reactions: oeste858

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
My strategy is basically buy my 4/3 and 5/4 Drylocks in the spring for about $300-350 from Evo.com or similar. They last me 2 or 3 years. Don't rinse. Repeat.

Personally I wouldn't touch a Matuse for seriously cold water with a 10 foot pole after buying their crappy "4/3" that was like a light 3/2 and freezing in it when the wind threatened to blow. Utter crap.

Everything I've heard here and elsewhere makes me think Patagonia's are stiff as hell. Maybe older gen?

Wouldn't mind trying an O'Neill or a Billabong as Drylocks quality is going downhill. Would need to see a Japanese suit in person and try on before dropping the cash.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Been keeping my eyes on pricing. Looks like there are roughly three price bands for the higher end range suits being made:

>$500 - custom Japanese Suits, Isurus ($700+), Patagonia r4/5, Cleanline shop suit, Bodyglove 6/5 Red Cell, Matuse Tumo ($600+)

$400 - $500 - Rip Curl Flashbomb, O'neill Psychotech, Billabong Furnace, xcel drylock, Feral 6/5/4, Bodyglove 5/4

<$350 - Vissla North Seas 5.5/4, NeedEssentials 6/4.5/3.5 ultra Premium thermal, second tier suits (infiniti, hyperfreak, Cyber, etc.)

Really curious about the 6/5/4 Feral...anyone try one of those? The absence of any fleece lining and smoothie looks like it could be problematic sub 45 degrees.
I know you're looking at thicker suits, but I just got a Feral 3/2 in the mail. It's fantastic. If you've not tried a Yamamoto rubber suit before, it really feels different: denser, spongier- not sure how to articulate it. Can see how it will repel more water which should minimize the need for a liner. Not overly stretchy like a RC flashbomb, but seems plenty flexible. Seems really well built. Free returns, so I wouldn't hesitate to order the 6/5/4 and get it in your hands. For the quality and materials, it seems like you're getting value for your money and not just paying for branding, marketing buzzwords like some of the bigger labels.

Reactions: urchined

feralseppo

Billy Hamilton status
Feb 28, 2006
Personally I wouldn't touch a Matuse for seriously cold water with a 10 foot pole after buying their crappy "4/3" that was like a light 3/2 and freezing in it when the wind threatened to blow. Utter crap.
People either love 'em or hate 'em. I have a 4/3. Plenty warm for California, maybe not for frigid east coast winters. At least as warm as any other 4/3 I've had but way better fit for me and super flexible. 4/3 is a bit deceptive regarding where the 4 and the 3 are placed on suits. Matuse is basically an all 3 with only some 4mm placed in a small panel on the back and chest.

urchined

Nep status
Jul 20, 2019
NCSD, CA
I know you're looking at thicker suits, but I just got a Feral 3/2 in the mail. It's fantastic. If you've not tried a Yamamoto rubber suit before, it really feels different: denser, spongier- not sure how to articulate it. Can see how it will repel more water which should minimize the need for a liner. Not overly stretchy like a RC flashbomb, but seems plenty flexible. Seems really well built. Free returns, so I wouldn't hesitate to order the 6/5/4 and get it in your hands. For the quality and materials, it seems like you're getting value for your money and not just paying for branding, marketing buzzwords like some of the bigger labels.
the 3/2 feral is the quickest drying suit I have ever had because it absorbs no water. I had a 3/2 vissla north seas before that and those are night and day in comparison. the vissla is a heavy sponge. My ripcord flashbond is in the middle of those 2 suit in terms of water absorbtion.

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
More than any other suit I've ever had, the Matuse only works if it's sunny and windless. You can feel the material heat up in the sun.

Take away the sun or add some wind more than 10mph, or god forbid, both and I froze.

Also yeah, there's a 4 inch strip of 4mil on the upper chest of the "4/3" I had. Otherwise it's a 3/2 and not a particularly warm one.

Also the seam sealer turned sticky eventually and basically gave me a brazilian wax job every time I wore it.

Would not recommend.

I'd spend half the money and just get a Xcel comp suit. Same flexibity and a bit warmer (but not that warm) for less money. However, your hipster points go down a bit so you will need to compensate by growing a bigger beard.

People either love 'em or hate 'em. I have a 4/3. Plenty warm for California, maybe not for frigid east coast winters. At least as warm as any other 4/3 I've had but way better fit for me and super flexible. 4/3 is a bit deceptive regarding where the 4 and the 3 are placed on suits. Matuse is basically an all 3 with only some 4mm placed in a small panel on the back and chest.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Matuse certainly seems to be polarizing. I’ve had good experience with 2mm S/S (June-Nov) and 3mm full in SoCal- but it’s not exactly arctic here. I also didn’t pay full price. I’ve actually found the 3mil to be too warm until water drops into the 50’s. But the erBB consensus seems to be negative.

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
Bought mine in SoCal and it was OK at first. Brought it back to East Coast and it was a no go. Ended up leaving out in SoCal for trips out there in the winter till it disintegrated and exfoliated my nether regions in the process. Honestly wasn't too warm in Huntington area in December either.

Never had a wetsuit so region specific. Not really acceptible for the money they charge.

Reactions: jkb

VaB

Michael Peterson status
Nov 14, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
My strategy is basically buy my 4/3 and 5/4 Drylocks in the spring for about $300-350 from Evo.com or similar. They last me 2 or 3 years. Don't rinse. Repeat.

-agree

+1

Everything I've heard here and elsewhere makes me think Patagonia's are stiff as hell. Maybe older gen?

current ok; hope to try ew one soon

Wouldn't mind trying an O'Neill or a Billabong as Drylocks quality is going downhill. Would need to see a Japanese suit in person and try on before dropping the cash.

O’Neill are great, billabong is similar to mature without the hipster beard

rowjimmytour

Tom Curren status
Feb 7, 2009
I love my non hood no inside lining hyperfreak 3mm here in Southern CA 805. I also got Patagonia 2mm short sleeve full. Which I would not say super stiff but is only 2mm short sleeve but very well built with nicely done seams. Only complaint about new patagucci slow to dry in shade 24 hours later but like front zipper gasket design and wrist and ankle cuffs well designed. Also like front zip is zipper only no need for snap or even pull cinch.

Northern_Shores

Miki Dora status
Mar 30, 2009
I just bought the Xcel Drylock 6/5 2019 for half the price, only used a few times. The wetsuit material is super stiff, like a suit from 20 years ago. The hood is very good. Would not buy for full price. C-skins suits are way better. Had the cheapest 6/5 from them up until now, and the material is much stretchier.
Excel also has rubber on the stomach and back that will get rips and cracks.

Furthermore, Xcel boots are so wide they only fit Donald Duck.

Last edited:

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
I just bought the Xcel Drylock 6/5 2019 for half the price, only used a few times. The wetsuit material is super stiff, like a suit from 20 years ago. The hood is very good. Would not buy for full price. C-skins suits are way better. Had the cheapest 6/5 from them up until now, and the material is much stretchier.

Those half price suits wind up bricks about half the time. I'd try the conditioner soak.

Reactions: Havoc

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise

I think the stiffness is caused by the suit freezing in your frigid Norwegian waters. Try a lutefisk soak with the wetsuit to to soften it up

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
It's a bummer that Isurus shut off the discount.

Got a chance to try my TI evade 4/3. Generally, the suit is very nice and VERY warm. Especially when it's cold outside.

The paddling restriction is noticeable, especially compared to my hyperfreaks, but not as bad as I would have expected. Will be interested to see if it loosens up a bit more.

Across the board, I'm happy to have one in my wetsuit quiver. With the discount I would consider the hooded 4/3, but even then I'm not sure if the price is justifiable considing the hyperfreaks are warm enough and feel like zero restriction compared an Isurus.

If I lived in a super cold environment I'd probably opt for the Isurus for the edge on warm over flexibility but for around here the hooded hyperfreaks (4/3 and 5/4) definitely get the job done at $350 a pop.

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
Send in my xcel for repair and got it back within a week. No cost to me.

Lot of bashing of xcel on here (myself included) but that's pretty cool.

chilly1

Nep status
Jan 4, 2010
It's a bummer that Isurus shut off the discount.

Got a chance to try my TI evade 4/3. Generally, the suit is very nice and VERY warm. Especially when it's cold outside.

The paddling restriction is noticeable, especially compared to my hyperfreaks, but not as bad as I would have expected. Will be interested to see if it loosens up a bit more.

Across the board, I'm happy to have one in my wetsuit quiver. With the discount I would consider the hooded 4/3, but even then I'm not sure if the price is justifiable considing the hyperfreaks are warm enough and feel like zero restriction compared an Isurus.

If I lived in a super cold environment I'd probably opt for the Isurus for the edge on warm over flexibility but for around here the hooded hyperfreaks (4/3 and 5/4) definitely get the job done at $350 a pop.
Because I have a 4/3 hooded TI front zip isurus and a 3M zipfree hooded I will chime in that the zipperless is FAR FAR less stiff, partly due to the less TI material. The Zip free 4M could be a good all around colder water option OBSF, wish I had that instead of the 4/3 TI as I don't like to be that restricted and would rather just be looser and colder on the coldest days and wear gloves maybe.

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
Because I have a 4/3 hooded TI front zip isurus and a 3M zipfree hooded I will chime in that the zipperless is FAR FAR less stiff, partly due to the less TI material. The Zip free 4M could be a good all around colder water option OBSF, wish I had that instead of the 4/3 TI as I don't like to be that restricted and would rather just be looser and colder on the coldest days and wear gloves maybe.
That is a good point and forgot to mention that my only gripe was that I felt like the zipper area was stiff and something about the seams/overlap made it feel like it was pulling/especially tight over my left shoulder which I didn't really care for. Kind of freaks me out bc shoulders are our golden joints.

I did think the zip free 4:4 would be an interesting option... Is the 3M zip free warm enough for year-round use? FWIW I honestly think the 5/4 hyperfreak is about the same, or maybe event less restrictive, than the 4:3 TI Evade and I'm only cold in it on the absolute coldest days of the year. With that suit, I can get by an entire year without booties.

chilly1

Nep status
Jan 4, 2010
That is a good point and forgot to mention that my only gripe was that I felt like the zipper area was stiff and something about the seams/overlap made it feel like it was pulling/especially tight over my left shoulder which I didn't really care for. Kind of freaks me out bc shoulders are our golden joints.

I did think the zip free 4:4 would be an interesting option... Is the 3M zip free warm enough for year-round use? FWIW I honestly think the 5/4 hyperfreak is about the same, or maybe event less restrictive, than the 4:3 TI Evade and I'm only cold in it on the absolute coldest days of the year. With that suit, I can get by an entire year without booties.
For me, the 3m hooded is my go to for OB-SF-S. Cruz. In a perfect situation I wish I could switch my 4/3 TI for and all 4 zip free for when I know I will be at a notoriously cold location. Aside from the warmth scale the two suits almost seem like different companies made them. All the TI and whatever else is in the Yellow and red (maybe blue) is too cumbersome and honestly less fun surfing inside of, and for me way too hot most of the time. Even with full 4M all over with just the black rubber that suit would probably be a magic next step up from all 3M.

surfer57

Michael Peterson status
Oct 5, 2007
NJ
I've started the serious hunt myself. Checked out a few of the usual brands in person today. All look pretty much the same. I'd go with the Vissla or the Oneill based on cost/quality if I went with one of the available OTR.

Curious if anyone has used the 5/4 Buell in seriously cold conditions? Reached out to a buddy who won the contest for suits for life from them but haven't heard back yet.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
I've started the serious hunt myself. Checked out a few of the usual brands in person today. All look pretty much the same. I'd go with the Vissla or the Oneill based on cost/quality if I went with one of the available OTR.

Curious if anyone has used the 5/4 Buell in seriously cold conditions? Reached out to a buddy who won the contest for suits for life from them but haven't heard back yet.
le
The Buell is good for upper 40's, at least when newish, but I wouldn't get one for anything colder than that. It's not as warm as a 5/4 Drylock or Flashbomb, for instance. It's fairly warm, it has a decent hood and slant zip, some fuzzy lining and it's much more flexible than those other two but I wouldn't get one for East Coast winters unless you're part polar bear.