Waikiki During Quarantine

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
Uncle Pat came out to surf and he told us someone paid for his grocery bill at Foodland during the Kupuna hours. He only bought $15 of stuff but he was pleasantly surprised. I didn’t know the donor paid the bill for all the Foodland stores. Pat said the cashiers were so happy to tell him his purchase was taken care of. And Pat is a good guy he didn’t grab a cart and go back in to make house. He’s not hurting so he left room for others.

Last edited:

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
I have a young Hawaiian girl that has been coming by once a week and dropping off a box or big bag of mixed veggies and fruits because I'm an old Hawaiian or Kupuna. :LOL: Which is true none the less, so I take something and then go next door or across the street and pass on my good fortunes. These contributions come from local farmers / growers who just want to do the right thing and give back to their community.

WaialuaNate

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 19, 2011
Stoked. My dad lived in Hawi for awhile too. We'd go pick the mushrooms from the cow patties near his pad. Love it up there. We go up that side to get away... Kapanaia, light house and hike back to third valley. Let me know if you come around. We have kayaks you can use anytime.
Long way to third valley. I’m winded by Pololu. Probably coming home towards the end of summer. Beers in town for sure.

Reactions: Kaido

WaialuaNate

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 19, 2011
My Dad, was from the Kohala area. Not sure if I have any relatives left from there. My uncle Alex had the par 3, 9 hole golf course on Banyan Drive that he started in 1970. He was also a Silver Star recipient in France, Legion of Merit from Viet Nam and a one time commandant of the Kilauea Military Camp that sits adjacent to Volcano's National Park on the big Island of Hawaii. He didn't seem to melt well with his other two brothers.

Loved to drive up into the coolness of Kohala and the Hawi area from Kona along the upper road taking one into Kamuela, then hwy 250 rising up above the old lava plain of darkness and stopping at the lookout, giving you a massive view of Mauna Kea, Mauna Loa and Hualalai that spewed hot fountains of lava creating the Big Island over time. Loved living there before the dreaded Vog began, encompassing some areas with the smell of rotting eggs & sulphur.
I'll be on a plane asap, when inter-island travel starts up again. Pu'uanahulu, for starter's.
Talked to the my mom in double K town today. Clear as a bell. No vog for a while. Pine trees parking lot is open. Lots of smiles but some nerves about the future.

Reactions: Kaido

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
lots of good happening out there
people doing what they can as they can
Some have resources some just have themselves
I'd rather focus on that
on how we all can help now
and how we can get things back on track down the road

Than all the pilikia being bandered about about "woe is me", "woe is us"
cause that don't fix any thing like uncle wright bowman taught me, "shut up and do".

Hawaii isn't going away
It'll change like it always has over time
but it isn't going away
change is good

Stay safe but Hiki No

Last edited:

griffinsurfboard

Duke status
Oct 31, 2004
Palm Coast , Florida
Visit site
The octopus nature of the unions and state/county employment system here is a major drainer like GG said we all know it.
Tie that in with the in-efficiencies of their operational infrastructure and workforce and you got as mess
when you lay over that the influence of the various worker unions on top of that you have a catrastrophy.
Hey, but that's hawaii.. been like that since the Nisei took over.
That's why there were like 90+ FCUs year awhile ago. One FCU per union.

Even tho my wife does not want to talk about this negative stuff - I asked tonight

She said all states are in deep debt with retirement and what they will do is why her company would not do work for them .

Forever there was the Purple van on the North Shore that fed familys weekly . What a great thing

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Well well. Haven’t seen Kauai coffee on our local shelves for a couple of years now, and lo and behold look at what I found at the local, discounted no less. A few cups of this and a slack key compilation and it’s like I’m transported. I wonder if Kauai coffee started shipping to mainland again because no tourists there to buy locally?
D077519C-C689-42D1-9677-4A531FF02DB0.jpeg

Reactions: PJ

Beerbelly

Michael Peterson status
May 14, 2010
Well well. Haven’t seen Kauai coffee on our local shelves for a couple of years now, and lo and behold look at what I found at the local, discounted no less. A few cups of this and a slack key compilation and it’s like I’m transported. I wonder if Kauai coffee started shipping to mainland again because no tourists there to buy locally?
View attachment 91577
I’ve been on the lookout for some Lion’s. Stumbled upon some about a year ago. The smell brings back the best memories of Hanalei mornings.

Kaido

Billy Hamilton status
Feb 22, 2002
Hawaii
Long way to third valley. I’m winded by Pololu. Probably coming home towards the end of summer. Beers in town for sure.
Sounds good. Pololu, we'd run up and down with our boards and mostly surf it alone. It's become a popular tourist spot but still barely anybody surfing there. On certain days it can get real fun. Third Valley is a good half day hike. Bring water and lunch. Get some great views and scenery.

PPK, yeah that is one of the best drives on this island. The views from atop 250 are world class. The vog is pretty nonexistent now. After so many years of breathing that crap. Sooo much nicer, can see Maui with ease and sometimes Kaho'olawe and Lanai.

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
isn't that lions stuff like 10%-15% real kona?
The 100% real kona from the big island costs an arm and a leg
especially from the small growers.

I only drink the free cafeteria coffee these days
been saving hundreds of dollars a month not having a starbucks anywhere nearby
even not having one of those single cup machines in the office (they're banned here) saves a tons of money on kcups and extras.

HarryLopez

Phil Edwards status
Jan 17, 2007
Neck deep
Friend of my dads had a small farm on the BI. Was growing mac nuts, then went to vanilla, coffee, and some other little things, and he would give us some once and a while. So ono!

• Love
Reactions: afoaf

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Spent all afternoon down at Queens with the boys pushing all their kids into waves and catching them before they got to the jetty. Saw some friends I haven't seen in decades. Everybody surfing and enjoying the beach. Non stop chest to head high waves. Got some great ones with my nieces. Came home and neighbor up the street dropped off 6 pounds of ahi he caught 5 hours ago.

Pretty, pretty good!

Bullnutts

Gerry Lopez status
Nov 14, 2004
Hawai'i
Depends where you pick up the coffee from. If you go to a supermarket then the mark up is pretty nuts. Cost U less and Costco has good prices on 100% Kona. Stop by a farm or some other places and they know you Kama'aina you going get a better price than advertised. Still costs more but that's what good coffee is. I mix one pound Kona or Ka'u with one pound Jose's or some other brand from Costco/Cost U Less. Makes a damn good pot of coffee.

Reactions: racer1

craigj532

Kelly Slater status
Nov 9, 2002
The two best Hawai’i coffees I’ve ever had:

Expensive as hell, but probably cheaper than drinking Starbucks everyday. Caffeine doesn’t much agree with me anymore, so it’s mostly Intelligentsia decaf for me on a daily basis. But when I’m in Kona I always stop at Kopelani, and on the rare occasions that I’m in Waikiki I hit up Kona Coffee Purveyors.

I’m also a fan of Island Brew Coffeehouse and Morning Brew.

And in Kaimuki there’s the Curb and Bean About Town. The Curb is more popular it seems, but I prefer Bean About Town.

Damn. There’s a lot of really good coffee places on Oahu now.

griffinsurfboard

Duke status
Oct 31, 2004
Palm Coast , Florida
Visit site

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
50 active cases in the whole state
zero new cases for two days

it's a simple formula
physical distance+exposure time