Waikiki During Quarantine

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
I looked up the Kauai Coffee and it is expensive. I want one of those tshirts so I may have to break down and place an order. FWIW, Olukai will be shipping me some fwipfwops soon too.
oneula, is there a thread or could you tell me a little about your boards? I am a woodworker with a small but very well equipped garage shop and I spray finishes outside occasionally. I will be doing a new tent booth later this year. Just curious about your home depot blanks and general set up, mission clientele etc.??
started around 2004 when I took a composite board building class from my soon to be mentor to make my brother a christmas present.

Last edited:

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
my kids are asking for boards and I just dusted off the bag and pump
for a pull test to see if I still had the juice....

I had horrible flashbacks on sanding, re-coating, sanding, re-coating and
i stuffed it all back in the box and took to the whiskey

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
You are a real craftsman. You ever thought of building a traditional Polynesian canoe?

YeahNo

OTF status
Jan 20, 2017
Kelly's Cove
There’s a little coffee stand inside the Shirokiya village walk that is really good
I hope those places in there survive this shutdown. That's a cool spot for food.

FWIW, Olukai will be shipping me some fwipfwops soon too.
Olukai is a Southern California company. Comfy, but $$$

Have you been to Bean About Town? It's pretty remarkable, too.
Have you tried Punchbowl Coffee? I like trying different little coffee places when we adventure around. This one looks a little hipster as well. Kind of like that cafe at the Surfjack. Kona Purveyors was a nice addition to the area. I'm getting spoiled by the coffee apps around SF. Order ahead, and skip the line.

craigj532

Kelly Slater status
Nov 9, 2002
I haven't tried Punchbowl Coffee yet.

To bring this back to Waikiki, I walked through the International Marketplace yesterday, and it was like a ghost town.

I felt bad, so I got dinner from the Burger Hale.

Purveyors was closed (they're temporarily closing at 3, which I didn't know); I was bummed.

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
You are a real craftsman. You ever thought of building a traditional Polynesian canoe?
From page 26. Uncle posted about working on restoring a koa canoe at school.

“As 7th grade border students bored out of our minds "quarrantined" on campus, Kawika(David) Eskaran and I begged Wright Bowman our drafting teacher to teach us how and let us help him repair an old koa canoe he was restoring on the weekends.
It was a boring repetition of drilling holes along a crack line and then hammering bamboo skewers into the holes hundred of these over and over again. So we started jabbering away when Mr Bowman looked up with his cockeyes behind those thick glasses pointing his hand at us, the one with the chopped off finger yelling "boy, no talk, do! or go home. Do, no talk".
Never forgot that life lesson. Deeds matter, words only distract.”

Reactions: bluemarlin04

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
five generations of waikiki entertainment I grew up with

Andy Cummings
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Mills Bros
" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Alfred Apaka

Don Ho

Buddy Fo (I saw Mackey Feary do an unreal acoustic version of this)

Last edited:
Reactions: PJ and teeroi

TeamScam

Miki Dora status
Jan 14, 2002
Mid-Atlantic
Olukai is a Southern California company. Comfy, but $$$

Now that I think of it I think I discovered that before. I feel like a cool. Oh well. Fools be merry!

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Lee Cataluna from today's Star Advertiser newspaper:

Star-Advertiser - May 27, 2020

Focus on getting better rather than getting back
By Lee Cataluna

"Some people are saying — carefully, as though bracing for blowback — that Hawaii is actually greatly improved with so few tourists here crowding every little corner of the islands and pushing their way around.
Others aren’t even being careful about it.
They’re just flat-out loud and proud about beaches finally being enjoyed by the people who live here, skies finally free of the noise of tour helicopters and traffic being so much more sane.
Another thing COVID-19 has laid bare is the deep ambivalence Hawaii feels about tourism. It’s never been a secret that Hawaii residents smile through their teeth about the whole sordid “sell paradise” industry. It’s a way to make a living for many people. It’s a way to make a killing for a few.
Or maybe ambivalence, defined as mixed feelings or contradictory ideas, isn’t the right word. Maybe the feeling isn’t mixed at all. Even people who make their money off the tourism industry were getting the uneasy feeling that it was all becoming terribly out of control, with more and more people tumbling off the planes and staying in cheap rooms far outside the tourism districts and spending next to nothing while they light bonfires on the beach and take danger- selfies on closed trails.
But right now we’re standing at the point where things could go in a different direction.
The worst thing of all would be to aim at 10 million visitors a year as the long-term goal or as the mark of “full recovery.” That’s like an obese patient surviving a heart attack and setting their sights on getting right back to gluttonous habits. “Recovery” needs to mean moving forward to something new and healthy, not going back to the way things were, because that was bad.
Tourism made us sick. The virus flew here from elsewhere. That poor Waikiki bartender who became the most personalized case of COVID-19 in Hawaii, languishing in a coma while his sweet mom cried about wanting to cook Filipino food for him, he probably got sick on the job from a tourist who brought the virus with them on their Hawaii vacation.
But even before the new coronavirus, tourism was making Hawaii sick. The damage to coral at Hanauma Bay. The sunscreen that bleached out the reefs. The beaches they sell to build their hotels. The trade-off has always been money versus health, whether it’s the health of the ocean, the aina, the people or the way of life.
The only way Hawaii can “get back” its economy is to open up to the virus again. But the goal should not be to get back, but instead to get balanced.
If this total implosion of the state’s economy doesn’t inspire a change in the way Hawaii values its own well-being, then maybe nothing will, and we’ll keep charging right to the ugly end when Hawaii becomes so cheap and degraded that even the bargain hunters don’t want to come here anymore.
Recovery should be toward health."

AMEN>

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
I had a really long and angry thing typed out but i deleted it

All of your pessimism and cynicism are belong to me. Mahalo.

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
we tried to do a 4 man our way so we could paddle out to the outside reefs infront of our house. I even bought a 20' vac bag. But my little pump setup was too small for such a big bag. Eventually the carpentersbee eventually got to the shaped blank since my brother left it sitting outside his house. Allot of work gluing of many hotwired panels gone to waste.

PICT0823.JPG
IMG00140 - Copy.jpg

normally I can pull down two boards with this 10 gallon setup

queens

Last edited:

PRCD

Tom Curren status
Feb 25, 2020
we tried to do a 4 man our way so we could paddle out to the outside reefs infront of our house. I even bought a 20' vac bag. But my little pump setup was too small for such a big bag. Eventually the carpentersbee eventually got to the shaped blank since my brother left it sitting outside his house. Allot of work gluing of many hotwired panels gone to waste.

View attachment 91801
View attachment 91787

normally I can pull down two boards with this 10 gallon setup

Val at the wall

<iframe src="https://player.vimeo.com/video/15613761" width="640" height="480" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; fullscreen" allowfullscreen></iframe>
<p><a href="
">Paipo</a> from <a href="https://vimeo.com/hydrodynamica">Hydrodynamica</a> on <a href="https://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>
You'll never know if something doesn't work if you don't try. We learn more from failures.

I'm thinking of building this one but don't know where to put it. My kit-built 12' dinghy is taking up a lot of space. I love the look of the Polynesian canoes and sails. Gary Dierking has a lot of plans for plywood canoes but they're heavier.

teeroi

Miki Dora status
Oct 21, 2007
eastside oahu
Oahu is starting to open more areas. Got an email from my sons school that in person church services are going to start bank up this Sunday. Limited to 200, mask required and you need to request a ticket for reserved seating. I rarely go to church so we’re going to pass.

The city has been starting to put up cones for contra-flow traffic. Don’t miss that but there is a noticeable increase in cars driving around, which is a return to normalcy.

Saw a friends post on ig about the traffic jam going to Aloha Stadium yesterday for food distribution. He wasn’t really complaining but he was about the extra 15-20 minutes it took for him to get where he needed to go. I was almost going to reply. He’s a fireman so he hasn’t lost his job or put on furlough but the folks sitting in that long line of traffic are just trying to get help feeding their family. Me, me, me.

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
Saw a friends post on ig about the traffic jam going to Aloha Stadium yesterday for food distribution. He wasn’t really complaining but he was about the extra 15-20 minutes it took for him to get where he needed to go. I was almost going to reply. He’s a fireman so he hasn’t lost his job or put on furlough but the folks sitting in that long line of traffic are just trying to get help feeding their family. Me, me, me.
I got caught in that traffic. It was jammed packed and people waited for hours. I didn't complain though. Just took an alternate route and got to work a bit late.

Don't take Halawa exit from the H-3 on Wednesdays.

Reactions: racer1 and teeroi

jamesgang

Miki Dora status
Aug 9, 2006
Location Location
Things are opening up. We are decorating our truck as a float to drive around out town for my son's sixth grade graduation (that's a thing) parade. People are getting out more. It feels good.

Many beautiful evenings surfing Sunset Point and Val's and Rockies lately with the kids, all families and people you know, smiling, laughing. Wow.

Got an invite to head to Makaha tomorrow morning to play on the skis with Brian K. Dream come true for me.

Tourism will come back. It's nice to have visitors. Hawaii is beautiful and no one should hoard beauty. But do you want visitors poking around in your underwear drawer? Rifling through your secret stash? No. If you want to share the special intimate things with people who appreciate it, share them. But when you are visiting someone, you are respectful to their home. Rake the yard, do the dishes, cook some meals, fill the icebox with groceries, ask how you can help.

We can do tourism right. That comment about visitors spending no money, lighting bonfires, and taking selfies on closed trails is so spot on. It's been an influencer and budget traveler invasion, and I hope it has come to an end. Enough casting our pearls before swine (there's some New Testament for you Bible people).

oneula

Miki Dora status
Jun 3, 2004
left early yesterday to buy a graduation card from longs (forgot it was today)
I hit stop and go freeway traffic at 4:30PM through pearl city to H2 merge
first time since the lockdown
allot of people must be back to work
so much for the enjoyable high speed drives to and from work.
it was nice

oh and the toilet paper was well stocked on the shelves
picked up a "just in case" package of 12.
my sister went to costco and she said no tp there

but the checkout lines still suck
barbershops open friday!
going get buzz cut bolo headed so no need worry for a long time
just hope it grows back
not so guarantee at this age..