Unreal waves for regular humans

bird.LA

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Jul 14, 2002
LA
It's interesting so far that the "wouldn't go" crowd is diverging at drop is doable/end section is a no go, and drop is an elevator looking easy because of the channel view.

I only watched the video once when I shared it, and by the end had forgotten about how heavy the first few minutes are. There are parts of the video where I would go try it, and much of it where I wouldn't. Unless I wouldn't at any size, you can never tell from a video. Looks warm and clean though, that's nice.
Have you been to Indo or surfed other reef pass waves like this?

I was shitting my pants at big Macaronis, but I'm a kook. Video and sitting in the line up are two very different experiences.

No fkn way I'd be out on this day.

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
it was No Kanduis until the OP Mentawai Pro, where AI, BI, Occy, and some others showed it was Kandui.

I surfed it on a small day and hit the reef so hard, I thought I broke my foot. Hideaways is scary, too. Kandui left and Rifles are two of the fastest/heaviest waves in the Ments.
hideways is heavy when pushing DOH +

Rifles wasn't that heavy IMO, we had it 2-3x overhead for a brief session before sundown and the beatings weren't too bad, next morning it was half the size but twice as good. Pretty easy take off but if you don't make the first section you'll get worked if it's solid

Bankvaults can be heavier and the inside section of reef is a cheese grater

Reactions: santacruzin

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017

I was shitting my pants at big Macaronis, but I'm a kook. Video and sitting in the line up are two very different experiences.

Yeah I booked a boat trip, paid $4500, no big deal (I made a killing selling nfts of my butthole in Andy Warhol style)
It was only like double overhead though, and I didn't want my first experience ruined, I'm waiting for tripple plus. Also they didn't have coffee? Excuse me, deal breaker. I left a one star review. I'll be on it next year, though. Got a new FireWire sitting in my rover just waiting for it.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
I was under the impression the Maldives being expensive would keep the Israeli and Brazzo backpackers at bay tbh.
It'll keep the backpackers at bay, but the median income in Israel isn't that much off our own, and there's a SHITLOAD of absolute turbopeasants at the bottom end, so there's definitely people with l00t.

Brazilians, the wealthy married ones, I'd assume there are some duuuus that want to go somewhere luxe for the wifey.

CutnSnip

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2018
Probably dropping in on you, California

and macaronis is supposed to be the mellow spot, lol.

im headed there soonish for that reason alone. surfed left reefs before but places like Ulus, Bingin, rocky lefts. Nothing like the perfection of the Mentawais.

Reactions: bird.LA

bird.LA

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Jul 14, 2002
LA
and macaronis is supposed to be the mellow spot, lol.

im headed there soonish for that reason alone. surfed left reefs before but places like Ulus, Bingin, rocky lefts. Nothing like the perfection of the Mentawais.
My first day there was small (like chest high) and rippable. I was stoked.

Second day I woke up and swell was up. People who worked there said biggest swell they'd seen in a long time. I got a few in betweeners and called it a day. :bricks:

From there it pumped the whole time I was there but never as big as that one day. You will be stoked on Maccas.

hugh shackman

OTF status
Mar 3, 2017
I’ve gotten my a** kicked in Indo on waves half that size, its an entirely different ballgame over there. As much as I want to think I’d give this a go, seeing anything that size coming down that reef and I’d sh*t my pants and paddle to the boat

Truth

Phil Edwards status
Jul 18, 2002
a stand up over head tube is HEAVY no matter where it is

as I told a grumpy friend saying that he could big pits in Indo it is so perfect

said sure but.......a lot goes into it

Need the time off work/family
Need the $
Willing to wait
Need to battle the crowds and actually get in position for a bomb (hardest part)
Have the balls to go
Have the skills to get deep and make it