Tomo Talks...on Shred Talks...

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
In your infinite knowledge, I know it must be hard to accept statements like this then:

"Everybody has their own personal preferences, and every designer/shaper has their own vision and reason for doing what they do, how they do it."

Not you! You're doing it RIGHT! Everyone else is wrong (unless they're doing what you said).

prjwebb

Michael Peterson status
Feb 13, 2011
UK
I'd love to hear your take on how various bottom contours behave, Greg.

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
It would be great if you could take the time to write out in full detail your interpretation of the various bottom contours as that article has done.
I for one would really appreciate it since I'm happy to learn all I can about design.

Colin

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 11, 2005
east oahu
I whole heartedly and sincerely request an explanation of spiral vee from Mr. Griffin or any shaper on this forum.

Colin

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 11, 2005
east oahu
Right, I'm being sincere. What's the diff between spiral v and double concave? Is spiral v the same thing as taking a vbottom and cutting concaves in each of the 2 v panels?

Goes without saying but that is a SICK carve

griffinsurfboard

Duke status
Oct 31, 2004
Palm Coast , Florida
Visit site
"I whole heartedly and sincerely request an explanation of spiral vee from Mr. Griffin or any shaper on this forum."

I have posted the interview with Bob Mctavish , him creating the term Spiral Vee in describing his early Vee bottoms .

Slight roll -wide arc - in the bottom spiralling down to the small arc in the center forming the Vee panels in the tail .

As well as an interview with Richard Brewer where he says he uses Bob's spiral Vee in all his boards from a year or so latter .

Shapers and surfers of note since have changed that to being double concave , in error .

There is nothing Spiral there .

But it stuck . :smile2:

Tfads father can remember the Croteau built boards of the 70's I mentioned .

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Ahhhh, so the spiral isn't in the bottom contours, but in the shape of the bottom contours as you look from middle of board down to tail (if board was standing up against a wall, string parallel to wall)?

griffinsurfboard

Duke status
Oct 31, 2004
Palm Coast , Florida
Visit site
Spiral

Wide arc spiraling down to narrow arc .

Top mid 90's shaper used this term for double concave tails - it stuck . :smile2:

The site good fish posted talks about the rail line dropping down to the stringer at the end of the tail being what a Spiral Vee is .

I know the shaper who stated this - no Spiral there .

Pick your poison . :smile2:

griffinsurfboard

Duke status
Oct 31, 2004
Palm Coast , Florida
Visit site

Bob Mctavish interview
While vee itself is a design feature, the "vee-bottom board" refers to a design McTavish came up with in 1967: a wide-backed, thick-tailed "plastic machine" that opened up the late-'60s shortboard revolution.

"Spiral vee," popular in the '70s, is a slightly cone-shaped version of vee, with the point built into the area just below the surfer's back foot.

Richard Brewer interview 1 - 2 years later
What shapers have been influential on you?

Bob McTavish showed me how to make a spiral vee. I’ve used it ever since.

Read more at http://www.surfermag.com/blogs/eos/dick-brewer-last-shaping-guru/#GGqKdCTcgsF6ZViH.99

toddo

Nep status
Jul 24, 2010
greg,

what do you call a double concave with a spine lower than the rails? or worded differently a vee that is concaved instead of flat?

Colin

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 11, 2005
east oahu
So....picturing spiral v as a cone shaped v with the point just behind the rear foot... What do you as a shaper do with the rest of the bottom area to the right and left of this point on a wider tailed square or rounded pin? If I am understanding the phrase correctly. Spiral v has been an elusive concept for me personally for quite some time. I appreciate the insight.

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
Colin said:
Spiral v has been an elusive concept for me personally for quite some time. I appreciate the insight.
Same here.

Mahalo Greg! Now I can fake it when someone talks about spiral vee.

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
Greg Griffin said:
That's your hostile interpretation .

let's discuss what is claimed about spiral vee .
Not being hostile, just teasing you, Greg!

Thanks for your alternative explanation!