Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
Just found this...Watching now...

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsRIw03xTVg[/video]

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
Fascinating interview. Interesting to hear what he says about the Evo - 'Everythings gonna have that bottom in it, or at least something similar..."

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
caramel_Sea said:
Tomo doesn't understand that concave reduces lift.
The hybrid channel/concave in the nose of the Vanguard would be a direct example of concave providing lift. Literally impossible to pearl whether you're nose or tail first. You actually feel it lift off the water. You could drop in on a square with it.

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
Enjoyed the design talk and the fact that he appreciates where he's at. Gives perfect explanation of why he went with FW. He's living life for sure.

Setting with the non participation audience seemed awkward!

Wish the interview was longer.

Still cool though, thanks for posting

Ivanmeister

Michael Peterson status
Dec 16, 2010
Cabo, Mexico
He may be goin faster and turning tighter.. but those carves everyone does on a tomo are... well... weak, almost in slo-mo

isurfcardiff

OTF status
May 8, 2014
Great video. Tomo has a good head on his shoulders. Stoked for his success!
I really like his quote regarding a good high performance board should be easy to ride.

PES78

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 2, 2011
San Diego
I was there that night and came away with a lot of respect for him and what he's doing. This is where I do my boards.There was questions asked by the audience but those edited out. Wish the showed that most likely it would have cost more to have that in there. I'll ask the next time I'm there maybe they can post those. Two weeks ago we had Donald Brink was there which really good as well. Next is Ryan Lovelace at the end of the month.

griffinsurfboard

Duke status
Oct 31, 2004
Palm Coast , Florida
Visit site
Concaves are for control and direction .

I am stoked for him , right time ,right guy .

Maybe O.T. can ask Timmy Watts about his 14 concave Croteau boards from 40 years ago . :smile2:

Similar effect what Daniel is experiencing .

fonker

Michael Peterson status
Apr 18, 2006
HB
Very cool video. Seems like a good dude

Where did they dig up that audience though? Looked like a bunch of 30 something hipsters from Portland.

gbarsby3

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 15, 2012
Look at the mr buzz...

1/4 " of concave in the double...

Board literally is like a little hovercraft because of it...

Concaves utilized properly certainly do not adversely effect lift- they provide it...

shikaka

OTF status
Mar 10, 2003
I appreciate that he talked about the Lis fish and wakeboards being his design inspiration rather than sacred geometry, Pi, golden mean, etc.

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
PES78 said:
I was there that night and came away with a lot of respect for him and what he's doing. This is where I do my boards.There was questions asked by the audience but those edited out. Wish the showed that most likely it would have cost more to have that in there. I'll ask the next time I'm there maybe they can post those. Two weeks ago we had Donald Brink was there which really good as well. Next is Ryan Lovelace at the end of the month.
Wow, you're a lucky dude. What kind of questions were asked?

PS. Were you the guy with the hipster beard? Oh, wait...That was everyone! Haha...

PES78

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 2, 2011
San Diego
It was about a month ago so don't remember to much. Someone did ask about the concaves and how they effect things, he was asked that about 100 times through out the night. He was there a solid 3 hours going over his boards and some of his theories. There are a lot of hipsters that are members but who gives a sh!t they dont bother me. Hell I'm way off the reservation when it comes to what comes out of that place. Someone did say that glassers must hate you, and he said he's glassed a few of his boards so he appreciates them.

griffinsurfboard

Duke status
Oct 31, 2004
Palm Coast , Florida
Visit site
Look at the mr buzz...

1/4 " of concave in the double...

Board literally is like a little hovercraft because of it...

Concaves utilized properly certainly do not adversely effect lift- they provide it...

What part of the concave creates this feeling ?

Oceanslide

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2008
Oceanside, CA
I really enjoyed that video..thanks for posting!
I've heard some pretty rough/odd stories regarding custom orders. My impression
(Ymmv) is that he got to a point where the demand was such that he couldn't
provide great service on his personal handshapes due to demand. Sounds like now
he has someone finishing cut boards via Xtr and also the Firewire thing going...
and he's free to travel/promote/refine. Good for him!! He seems stoked on his current life, which is what we all hopefully strive for.