Tomo MPH

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
Seeing the Burch thread pop up, then watching the Tomo clip of him on a 5'1" Vader at Trestles gave me an apipheny.
For myself the Cymatic I have now is probably the closest board I can have to be able to draw the same kind of lines on a wave as with a Burch picklefork.
Not that they would actually happen as I imagine of course.
I think of that Haleiwa Slater clip on the Cymatic and Bryce Young on the picklefork in his last movie and equate them to be similar in the "mind machine" category (I just made that category up) of surfing. Go wherever you want on a wave with the capacity to do short arc turns and instantaneous line adjustments on a wave that other more conventional boards don't seem to facilitate as effortlessly.

Anyone else with me on this Tomo/Burch similarity or am I tripping?
I get what you’re saying, but I feel there’s a smoothness to Burch’s boards whereas Tomo’s are more slashy. Both the Vader and the Picklefork need clean conditions to really go tho.

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Description of the Vader 2.0

The Tomo Vader has returned with the addition of the Vee Quad Concave hull design (VQC)

A fresh perspective on perhaps the most 'disruptive design in modern surfing' VADER V2 is set to make another major stir with optimisation of the outline, bottom contour and nose entry curves.

This 'ultra high performance' design once again defies traditional logic and offers an incredibly intuitive ride quality, effortless rail to rail transitions and an almost supernatural acceleration through turns.

Despite the tiny dimensions, the rectangular outline combined with the deep spine like nature of the of the Vee bottom , provide a balanced volume distribution under the chest for comfortable paddling and great wave catching, while still maintaining a fine rail profile for sensitive rail control.

Tomo strongly feels the Vader2.0 is "the Fastest surfboard design in Modern Surfing" and will level up the surfing of anyone who rides it.

• For good surfers looking for maximum perfomance: Size Vader V2 at 5-6 inches shorter than customers standing height ( or equal to the tip of ones nose) same volume as lowest functional comfortable level or minus 1 L from a traditional performance shape.

• Quad fin or 5 box setup recommended.

• Best suited for Good To Advanced Surfers.

Last edited:

Leonardo

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 10, 2020
Description of the Vader 2.0

The Tomo Vader has returned with the addition of the Vee Quad Concave hull design (VQC)

A fresh perspective on perhaps the most 'disruptive design in modern surfing' VADER V2 is set to make another major stir with optimisation of the outline, bottom contour and nose entry curves.

This 'ultra high performance' design once again defies traditional logic and offers an incredibly intuitive ride quality, effortless rail to rail transitions and an almost supernatural acceleration through turns.

Despite the tiny dimensions, the rectangular outline combined with the deep spine like nature of the of the Vee bottom , provide a balanced volume distribution under the chest for comfortable paddling and great wave catching, while still maintaining a fine rail profile for sensitive rail control.

Tomo strongly feels the Vader2.0 is "the Fastest surfboard design in Modern Surfing" and will level up the surfing of anyone who rides it.

• For good surfers looking for maximum perfomance: Size Vader V2 at 5-6 inches shorter than customers standing height ( or equal to the tip of ones nose) same volume as lowest functional comfortable level or minus 1 L from a traditional performance shape.

• Quad fin or 5 box setup recommended.

• Best suited for Good To Advanced Surfers.
Long description ay

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020

MrSteve

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 1, 2015
NJ
How does the Vader work over sized? Ive seen RK ride planing hulls (cant remember which) really long

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
Wonder how the tweaked VQC in the Vader 2.0 will go? The VQC in the Revo seems to be a polarising feature. See plenty of barely ridden Revos for sale here.
From the Blog Frosty posted:
"Recently, the Vader V-2, which is the latest iteration of the Vader planing hull which was first released in 2009. This new board I’ve got a new hull configuration which is like a spine double-concave Vee hull that blends into a quad-concave Vee out the tail So, a super technical hull design I’ve been developing which is an offshoot of the V-quad (VQC) concave of more recent years. What that hull design gives you is all this really instantaneous rail-to-rail transition where the board will roll along a spine-vee onto a very narrow surface from basically the stringer of the board to the rail which is nine inches or so. So, riders will be surfing these really narrow concave planing surfaces which give the board such an incredible acceleration and speed. You know, it feels unparalleled to any other hull design I’ve ever ridden. Especially with the outline of the Vader which is an ultra-straight rail line. Just the speed it generates through a turn is the fastest I’ve ever experienced in my life. These new rectangular designs with vee-double concave to quad concave, I feel like it is a new benchmark for my designs."

• Love
Reactions: ReForest

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
I get what you’re saying, but I feel there’s a smoothness to Burch’s boards whereas Tomo’s are more slashy. Both the Vader and the Picklefork need clean conditions to really go tho.
Never ridden or even held a vader. Why is it not a better graveler with that parallel-railed outline? Rockered for good /steeper waves?

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
The Revo bottom is a straight Vee, nose to tail, with Quad Concaves running through the middle. So as Tomo says, "its basically a Jet Ski hull" but obviously more subtle Vee that a jet ski. My first experience with the VQC felt like i was on a teeter totter. I did not like it. It was strange going straight or dropping in because it wasn't very stable. But once you got used to the Vee it provided instantaneous response when you bottom turned . Almost too fast because you didn't have much time to move your weight back for the turn (like a sharp turn on a jet ski). Eventually I got used to and loved it! It required less effort for sharp turns. But turns off the lip felt different because the Vee would force it on rail. So you have to quickly turn it on rail right at the top of the lip or get it on rail quickly under the lip to throw a good spray. I think those adjustments discouraged a lot of people. Plus you couldn't really ride it as a thruster either because the Vee was so prominent. With this new blend of the Vee into the Quad Inside Single I think its going to solve all those problems. I think its going to work as a thruster, provide mor stability, but still have that same instantaneous response of the Vee. I'm honestly super excited to try it! I think it could be unreal if it works the way its supposed to.

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
While I appreciate he’s willing to think outside the box… Sounds complicated / overdesigned.
A penny for GG’s thoughts LOL
Its basically just a Vee bottom entry into a quad concave out the tail. Super responsive on turns with the Vee spine entry... but has speed and hold from the QISC out the tail.

Reactions: JDJ

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
From the Tomo quote in my above post:
"This new board I’ve got a new hull configuration which is like a spine double-concave Vee hull that blends into a quad-concave Vee out the tail."
Frosty said:
"With this new blend of the Vee into the Quad Inside Single."
What am I missing here?

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
From the Tomo quote in my above post:
"This new board I’ve got a new hull configuration which is like a spine double-concave Vee hull that blends into a quad-concave Vee out the tail."
Frosty said:
"With this new blend of the Vee into the Quad Inside Single."
What am I missing here? It's gotta be one or the other.
Unless there is a mini Vee down the middle of the concave I don't see how its possible to have a Vee in a concave? Maybe it was a typo? I have a text that says "its more of a double concave spine that blends into a quad concave through the fins". Also, when I did a picnic table interview with Tomo at the boardroom show, I asked him about whether or not the VQC was a dedicated thruster or not and he went on to say that minor adjustments could be made to make it work as a thruster, but he would have to make the Vee in the front with a concave out the back, but it would be difficult to blend into the rocker. He may have already been experimenting with this bottom when I interviewed him? I dont know?

Obviously I would defer to DT, but from my perspective I think its a vee into a quad concave out the tail.