Tomo MPH

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
btw I drove through murrietta this weekend man i felt like i was in the fkn bayou or st. why do u live way out there?
Every time I drive by there on the way to Mammoth or somewhere, I always think “wow, there’s so many housing tracts in Temecula. What do all these people do for work out here? Do they commute to SD?” And then that’s immediately followed by, “hey, Murrieta. that’s where DF lives! Man, i can’t believe he lives here and still surfs”

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Every time I drive by there on the way to Mammoth or somewhere, I always think “wow, there’s so many housing tracts in Temecula. What do all these people do for work out here? Do they commute to SD?” And then that’s immediately followed by, “hey, Murrieta. that’s where DF lives! Man, i can’t believe he lives here and still surfs”
We moved there from South America (my mom is Ecuardorian). I grew up there, went to High School there and ended up not leaving. Now my kids go to the same high school I went to and have a few of the same teachers, so it would be hard to move them out of all that. Oside is the long game. Once they are gone maybe me and the wife will live on a boat at the Harbor. That would be the dream!

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
We moved there from South America (my mom is Ecuardorian). I grew up there, went to High School there and ended up not leaving. Now my kids go to the same high school I went to and have a few of the same teachers, so it would be hard to move them out of all that. Oside is the long game. Once they are gone maybe me and the wife will live on a boat at the Harbor. That would be the dream!
I know some folks who raised their kids in the Murrieta area but always made trips to NCSD to surf. Now that those kids are grown with kids of their own and live by the coast, they sold their house and moved to a manufactured home in Oside and are loving it, being closer to their grandkids.

Reactions: JDJ and ReForest

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Yeah. And I just meant that I’m always awed by your willingness/ability to drive that far for surf, when I realize how far it actually is.
:shaka:

toowalled

Nep status
Jul 3, 2014
[/QUOTE]Do you surf mornings and get back home before 1:00? Driving the 76 made me stop surfing:socrazy:

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
What are your thoughts on the Deathstar vs Vader? I've never tried a Vader.
Different rocker and pivot. It feels like the deathstar has the same rocker as the Vanguard, but never confirmed with Tomo. The Vader has more tail rocker than both. I feel like the diamond tail of the Vader pivots better than the deathstar. I personally like the Vader better, but the deathstar is still super fun. Out of all the board I got from you, this is the only one that I kept. lol.

Reactions: jkb

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
Different rocker and pivot. It feels like the deathstar has the same rocker as the Vanguard, but never confirmed with Tomo. The Vader has more tail rocker than both. I feel like the diamond tail of the Vader pivots better than the deathstar. I personally like the Vader better, but the deathstar is still super fun. Out of all the board I got from you, this is the only one that I kept. lol.
That Deathstar is an old one too. I got it in 2012.

I'm surprised you didn't like the Psyko. Man that board was a fricken scalpel in good waves.

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
Going to put a vader on the list, do you guys like the qisc or vqc on it? Board will be five fin and my height, i want the rail length

• Love
Reactions: ReForest

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
Seeing the Burch thread pop up, then watching the Tomo clip of him on a 5'1" Vader at Trestles gave me an apipheny.
For myself the Cymatic I have now is probably the closest board I can have to be able to draw the same kind of lines on a wave as with a Burch picklefork.
Not that they would actually happen as I imagine of course.
I think of that Haleiwa Slater clip on the Cymatic and Bryce Young on the picklefork in his last movie and equate them to be similar in the "mind machine" category (I just made that category up) of surfing. Go wherever you want on a wave with the capacity to do short arc turns and instantaneous line adjustments on a wave that other more conventional boards don't seem to facilitate as effortlessly.

Anyone else with me on this Tomo/Burch similarity or am I tripping?

Last edited: