Tomo MPH

cdes

Nep status
Oct 9, 2006
I have one of the OG sci phis an old vanguard and an old nano.
Keeping my V4 till it dies.
Never rode a Vanguard but I've heard its an insane board. Nano would be sick!
[/QUOTE]
Vanguard was sick. I’ve been trolling Craigslist for another one in the next size up, so I can rock it like it’s 2013 again.

• Haha
Reactions: jkb and ReForest

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
I went and felt one up. Did not cop.

To really feel a Tomo, in my opinion, is to ride them really small so you can get behind that wide straight outline and push it through turns. My friend owns a shop that had demos and I got to ride a wide range of Sizes of Evos and Nanos. If you ride a small size they drive through turns and project you into the lip, but if you go too long they get more pivoty and move away from that drivey feeling. It’s truly a unique surfing experience when sized right. For example a 5’5 Nano to me felt top 3 in my life, while the 5’6 felt absolutely horrible. A 5’4 Evo felt like zero drive and a 5’3 Evo felt like the most drive I’ve ever felt in a board shorter than my height (6’1”).

The 5’6 Revo felt too long and narrow for my height. I’d want too ride a 5’4 but the narrowness was to skinny and volume was too low for me. They didn’t have a 5’5 maybe that would feel okay. But too long and Tomo’s lose that magic.

Last edited:
Reactions: JDJ

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
I think this video illustrates what I'm saying best:

Stu and Dan are riding from the back of the board and driving up and down the face.
They also aren't moving their back foot at all, it's locked into the tail kick the whole time.
At 1:32 you can see Dan's foot isn't all the way back on his first turn and his turn slows down a bit, when he comes down he shuffles it back to the kick and the next two turns are back to that drivey snap.

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
I went and felt one up. Did not cop.

To really feel a Tomo, in my opinion, is to ride them really small so you can get behind that wide straight outline and push it through turns. My friend owns a shop that had demos and I got to ride a wide range of Sizes of Evos and Nanos. If you ride a small size they drive through turns and project you into the lip, but if you go too long they get more pivoty and move away from that drivey feeling. It’s truly a unique surfing experience when sized right. For example a 5’5 Nano to me felt top 3 in my life, while the 5’6 felt absolutely horrible. A 5’4 Evo felt like zero drive and a 5’3 Evo felt like the most drive I’ve ever felt in a board shorter than my height (6’1”).

The 5’6 Revo felt too long and narrow for my height. I’d want too ride a 5’4 but the narrowness was to skinny and volume was too low for me. They didn’t have a 5’5 maybe that would feel okay. But too long and Tomo’s lose that magic.
Revo is intended to be ridden longer than other MPH designs. For the feeling you’re describing, I would stick to a Vader or Nano.

Reactions: ReForest and racer1

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
I ordered a 5’5 Revo from Dan without the Vee bottom and it seemed not as quite as narrow as the FW version.

Reactions: racer1

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Revo is totally different bro. Its the first Tomo that can be oversized and still rides and performs excellent. The Vee is crazy. The outline suits it perfectly. I agree that a Tomos needs to be ridden to be understood, but this Revo does not need to be sized small. I think that concept has faded out since the Evo. The Cymatic, Omni, Scifi and every board since then can be sized larger. For example Timmy Reyes rode the 5'4 Omni and that board is big for a guy his size. He also rode the 5'7 Scifi when the 5'6 was more his size preference.

I would give the 5'6 Revo a try @racer1 I bet it will surprise you.

Reactions: racer1

sizzld1

Phil Edwards status
Mar 31, 2009
Brand new Revo's are $499 in pretty much any store you check right now. Crazy. Did Firewire overproduce them or are they scrapping ibolic already or something? Think I'm going to grab a 5'7''. I'm 6'2'' and about 190lbs.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Brand new Revo's are $499 in pretty much any store you check right now. Crazy. Did Firewire overproduce them or are they scrapping ibolic already or something? Think I'm going to grab a 5'7''. I'm 6'2'' and about 190lbs.
That’s a pretty big discount like 30%. Must be clearing out models that didn’t sell as well as expected. Didn’t seem to be a big marketing push at release (no KS clips like Cymatic) and Tomo was injured at the time.

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
That’s a pretty big discount like 30%. Must be clearing out models that didn’t sell as well as expected. Didn’t seem to be a big marketing push at release (no KS clips like Cymatic) and Tomo was injured at the time.
I think Firewire has a lot of boards in their warehouse and need to make room for the new 2023/2024 models so they put them in shops and discount them.

sizzld1

Phil Edwards status
Mar 31, 2009
Have you ridden iBolics ReForest? I've never messed with Firewire (or Tomos), but I'm generally open to epoxies/alt techs, and the Revo looks pretty rad at that price range.

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Have you ridden iBolics ReForest? I've never messed with Firewire (or Tomos), but I'm generally open to epoxies/alt techs, and the Revo looks pretty rad at that price range.
Revo is next level! Its an amazing board design.

iBolic is the best tech Firewire has ever made, by far. Its the closest to XTR in my opinion. I can hold up my iBolic to the light in my garage and see the fin box right through it. Its translucent just like XTR. There is no deckskin on the bottom and a very thin one on the deck. It doesn't feel anything like the LFT or FST or Helium. Its honestly the best tech they've ever introduced IMO.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Haha. You’re nothing if not consistent! glad the hyper-Bolic tech works for you. LOL.
Actually saw my first one in the water today. Didn’t recognize the older long grey-haired guy but he caught a few in-betweeners. I gave him the benefit of the doubt on one and didn’t drop in on him… and bless his heart, he made the drop and section!