Tomo MPH

sh3

Michael Peterson status
Dec 1, 2008
Tomo (and particularly Hilton, who works for/with him) have been great for ordering, but I get super uneasy ordering something overseas. My last order didn't work out at all for me, but not for anything they did. I ordered two boards and missed on volume. That hurt. A lot. A guy who is 20 pounds lighter than me absolutely scored from that.

So I ordered one more and am praying it works. Before I ordered, I contacted that guy and asked what color he wanted his new board.
:monkey:

The new board arrived today and looks like a weapon. Bottom contours are interesting, to say the absolute least. Nose has a far thicker foil than I expected, but is not a beak (which I hate). It looks killer.

Here's a couple of shots for the glitterati of the erBB:

DECK
OB1 Top.jpg

BOTTOM CONTOURS
OB1 QISC.jpg

NOT TOMO-RELATED ASIDE: I had an absolute sh!t experience with a shaper in San Diego, who I didn't even order a board from. I ordered a Byrning Spear many years ago when Alan Byrne was in town. Alan and I spoke, dialed in what I wanted and what he recommended, and then he shaped it. The other shaper was supposed to send it to me. Two months go by and I email him. He says its at the glassers. Seriously. Another two months go by. I email and he says it's about to go to the glassers. I sh!t you not. Two more months go by and I send him a nasty email, although I don't recall all the details any more. Regardless, I think that guy shaped a new one for me nowhere near the dims I ordered from Alan (because he didn't know them), stuck AB's lams on it, and sent it to me... complete with two screwdriver stabs through the delivery box and into the board. F that guy up-and-down. I will never get anything from him, even if they look beautiful. Someone here once sent me a message guessing who it was and he was exactly right. Apparently this guy screws everyone. F him.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
that looks fantastic! Wish it was a bit bigger... in case you don't like it. LOL
Hope it rips for you!
My x-wing has surprisingly foiled rails and nose so, underarm, it feels like less foam than the 33L I ordered, but it's just hidden well. Need to ride it more, always fun as a weaker wave boar- which is what I expected when I ordered (based on Dan's suggestion for softer SD breaks that he was familiar with).

Last edited:
Reactions: JDJ and ReForest

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Tomo (and particularly Hilton, who works for/with him) have been great for ordering, but I get super uneasy ordering something overseas. My last order didn't work out at all for me, but not for anything they did. I ordered two boards and missed on volume. That hurt. A lot. A guy who is 20 pounds lighter than me absolutely scored from that.

So I ordered one more and am praying it works. Before I ordered, I contacted that guy and asked what color he wanted his new board.
:monkey:

The new board arrived today and looks like a weapon. Bottom contours are interesting, to say the absolute least. Nose has a far thicker foil than I expected, but is not a beak (which I hate). It looks killer.

Here's a couple of shots for the glitterati of the erBB:

DECK
View attachment 148488

BOTTOM CONTOURS
View attachment 148490

NOT TOMO-RELATED ASIDE: I had an absolute sh!t experience with a shaper in San Diego, who I didn't even order a board from. I ordered a Byrning Spear many years ago when Alan Byrne was in town. Alan and I spoke, dialed in what I wanted and what he recommended, and then he shaped it. The other shaper was supposed to send it to me. Two months go by and I email him. He says its at the glassers. Seriously. Another two months go by. I email and he says it's about to go to the glassers. I sh!t you not. Two more months go by and I send him a nasty email, although I don't recall all the details any more. Regardless, I think that guy shaped a new one for me nowhere near the dims I ordered from Alan (because he didn't know them), stuck AB's lams on it, and sent it to me... complete with two screwdriver stabs through the delivery box and into the board. F that guy up-and-down. I will never get anything from him, even if they look beautiful. Someone here once sent me a message guessing who it was and he was exactly right. Apparently this guy screws everyone. F him.
Holy sh!t! Those channels look pronounced! :love: :love: I wonder if it has anything to do with being PU.
Looking forward to a ride report! That bottom picture is wonderful!

Reactions: sh3

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
I've dallied with ordering a 5'8 GMM2 a few times, but when it's summer dribble a mid length lets me battle the longboards better. Also, I think @ReForest should go first. He knows he wants to. Dunno how he can call himself a real Tomo fan without one in his quiver...
I dont think you can order the GMM2 from Dan. You'd have to go through XTR.
Pull the trigger Goodfish

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
curious, how is the local surf shop scene in Taiwan? do they get runs of good OTR boards from shapers?
There aren't that many and most just sell Firewire, Lost, CI, etc. Not really my taste. A couple of shops get Albums, but they sell them for the same price as it would cost me to get a custom shipped here. Makes more sense to get something I really want for the same price.

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
or have you ever considering ordering (OTR or custom) through a Japanese shop? I feel like they get all the good stuff.
A new Burch Squit fish will cost you over US$3000 in Japan. Check out slowlife.cal on Instagram...

May 10, 2018
@ReForest I know you sometimes have the inside word...Any details on when the rest of the Slater Designs/Tomo range will be coming out in Ibolic to replace LFT? Seems weird they are saying Ibolic is stronger/better but only offer it in the Revo and FRK and continue to offer the weaker LFT in other models?

Oct 5, 2021
Reckon like the other big brands they prob have made way too many boards the last year or so and need to clear some warehouse stock out now people have all gone back to work and not buying new boards. I asked FW aus about sci fi2 in ibolic last year and they said maybe 2023 release or might not ever bring it out either. Looks like they have a sale on to get rid of all the helium white boards at the moment, not sure if this is to go volcanic or ibolic on current models?
for what it’s worth I ended up jagging an almost new ibolic revo late last year instead, seems to be holding up well so far. I reckon it’s a good construction for smaller waves, wouldn’t be getting it myself for a good/bigger wave board though. Bit too lively and too much flex in the bigger stuff for my liking, but absolutely unreal in smaller surf up to slightly overhead. My fav board at the moment as a dd.

Reactions: ReForest and noise
May 10, 2018
Reckon like the other big brands they prob have made way too many boards the last year or so and need to clear some warehouse stock out now people have all gone back to work and not buying new boards. I asked FW aus about sci fi2 in ibolic last year and they said maybe 2023 release or might not ever bring it out either. Looks like they have a sale on to get rid of all the helium white boards at the moment, not sure if this is to go volcanic or ibolic on current models?
for what it’s worth I ended up jagging an almost new ibolic revo late last year instead, seems to be holding up well so far. I reckon it’s a good construction for smaller waves, wouldn’t be getting it myself for a good/bigger wave board though. Bit too lively and too much flex in the bigger stuff for my liking, but absolutely unreal in smaller surf up to slightly overhead. My fav board at the moment as a dd.
Ha funny you say that because I also asked Firewire Aus the same thing in October re. the sci fi 2 in Ibolic and got the same response. I also figured maybe they are over stocked and trying to sell everything they have first. I ended up just buying another sci fi 2. My mate got the Revo and loves it in up to over head waves too.

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
I spoke to Mark Price at the boardroom show last year and he said that they are phasing out LFT so all "future" models will be in iBolic. I doubt they would re-construct older model with this tech, although I think iBolic would go great in the Hydroshort and Omni.

Price also mentioned phasing out the FCS boards. So I guess the future of Firewire will be Futures boxes and iBolic construction.

Last edited:

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Assume you meant ibolic. So they would only use that construction for shortboars? Would replace LFT and Helium and basalt as well?
Yes - thank you. I meant iBolic.

I dont exactly remember what he said about helium, but I think I remember him saying they will keep that tech. He did comment that basalt is a great tech and feels better than carbon. I think I remember him saying that basalt is a little stiffer than carbon, which is probably why they only made models out of basalt in the bigger dimension boards (for the big fellas).

Reactions: oeste858

Sam_K

Legend (inyourownmind)
Dec 11, 2019
Rad board!

That looks like a Hydronaut to me.

Does it say Hydroshort on it?
Nah it doesn't say anything! Literally the only thing written on it is "For Evan"

So if you happen to see Evan please ask him what model he ordered

Regardless of what the hell it is it goes beautifully, I'm a happy customer

May 10, 2018
I spoke to Mark Price at the boardroom show last year and he said that they are phasing out LFT so all "future" models will be in iBolic. I doubt they would re-construct older model with this tech, although I think iBolic would go great in the Hydroshort and Omni.

Price also mentioned phasing out the FCS boards. So I guess the future of Firewire will be Futures boxes and iBolic construction.
Just on the bolded bit. They re-constructed the original round tail FRK in ibolic as well as the Sci Fi 2 grom boards in ibolic. Both were previously in LFT. I'm still hopeful the Sci fi 2 gets the ibolic treatment. Just call it the sci fi 3 and pretend its a new model haha

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Rode @jkb 's old Deathstar on Saturday. I'd been staring at it for months with the delam hole exposed, that I cut out. I wanted to ride something new, so I patched the delam and stuck a new tail pad on it. I rode it in 1-2 beachies. It felt good under arm and didn't question the dims too much. Dims are 5'1" x 17 1/2 x 2 1/8 (no volume). Got a couple good ones despite the small conditions and didnt really have that much trouble paddling it around or riding or anything. I got to the office yesterday and decided to try and check the volume for shits and giggles. Seems to be between 21L and 23L!!! :oops: :oops:

I was shocked! Unbelievable how well that board paddles and planes. Sort of blew my mind a little bit.

When did you order this board @jkb? 2014 ish?

IMG_2241.jpeg

IMG_2242.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: jkb and schex