Tomo MPH

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Haha…yeah, I’ll admit I plead ignorance bc I don’t pay attention to what they do. But I don’t know what kind of marketing spin MPrice/FW could’ve used to implement volcanoes into surfboard construction or their ride characteristics(feels ridiculous that I actually typed that out!) - Not everyone is picking up what that brand is dropping
I dunno either. sounds super cool tho. #primordialtech
tmp.giftmp.gif

Last edited:

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
View attachment 159640
Look what came in the mail today. Don’t be jelly @ReForest
Hoping these go better for me than the krypt hatchets.
I am jelly. I almost bought those off Racer when I saw him drop the price. But then they were gone. If you dont like them let me know. They go great as a set or just use the rear fins with your favorite front fins. I also tried just the fronts with a very small upright rear fin and that felt pretty good too. I have them in FCS and kinda wanted a set for futures.

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Haha…yeah, I’ll admit I plead ignorance bc I don’t pay attention to what they do. But I don’t know what kind of marketing spin MPrice/FW could’ve used to implement volcanoes into surfboard construction or their ride characteristics(feels ridiculous that I actually typed that out!) - Not everyone is picking up what that brand is dropping
lol. It's their version of carbon, although I haven't really seen FW post much feedback on how they feel. I need Noel to do a review on it. I want specifics dammit! lol. I want to sit back, have my favorite drink, and have someone tell why I need the Volcanic tech.

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
lol. It's their version of carbon, although I haven't really seen FW post much feedback on how they feel. I need Noel to do a review on it. I want specifics dammit! lol. I want to sit back, have my favorite drink, and have someone tell why I need the Volcanic tech.
maybe they have demos you can try sample?

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
maybe they have demos you can try sample?
Good idea. I'm sure they don't have it for the size i want but maybe I can get a feel for it with a bigger size. (y)

On a side note... I went into Chemistry in Oside to check out some boards and Bennett let me take one of their Zen 4.1 boards to demo for a couple weeks. Super cool. I walked in as he was shaping and we talked board and fins, etc. Cool experience.

But again, board felt slow, not the same drive as I'm used to, and made me miss my Tomo.

Reactions: Havoc, jkb and JDJ

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
Good idea. I'm sure they don't have it for the size i want but maybe I can get a feel for it with a bigger size. (y)

On a side note... I went into Chemistry in Oside to check out some boards and Bennett let me take one of their Zen 4.1 boards to demo for a couple weeks. Super cool. I walked in as he was shaping and we talked board and fins, etc. Cool experience.

But again, board felt slow, not the same drive as I'm used to, and made me miss my Tomo.
post cholo shot footage on the Zen and let us be the judge!

good on you for going in to check out Chemistry. they've been an Oside boardbuilding staple for forever

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California

To go really fast, you're going to need a red Album. :)

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
Been riding the Hydroshort a lot. Perfect length, flex and speed. I found this magic fin setup. Kraken fronts and mini stabilizer in the quad boxes.
You should do yourself a favour. Since you like the Krakens take the next step and buy yourself a set of S wing pro 440's in green (the flex for your weight) or orange if you're riding it in larger waves too.

Reactions: Havoc and ReForest

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
You should do yourself a favour. Since you like the Krakens take the next step and buy yourself a set of S wing pro 440's in green (the flex for your weight) or orange if you're riding it in larger waves too.
I've been eyeing these S Wings for a while now. They make a Mid Keel 470 that looks appealing. Ever tried that one? Are the 440's more for performance surfing?

Reactions: Havoc

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Yep. I use the 470's in mid lengths or mini-Simmons. For your Hydorshort and for short arc turns like the Hydroshort will do the pro 440's would be my first pick. They come with a centre trailer fin for a thruster set up but you can use quad trailers of your own choosing too. The pro 440's were the ones Curren ran in his heat against Occy riding a Black beauty.
See the last page of the mid length thread (should you dare to go there at the risk of being infected) to see some pics of them.
If you make an account you'll see you get a better price straight away and if you buy 2 x sets you'll get free postage.

Reactions: Havoc

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
My opinion on using S-wings on a shorter board.......get a twin set and get a stiffer construction.

I felt the thruster set lacked drive because the fin bases are fairly small. I could also feel the fin cavitate through bottom turns.

There is something special to them for sure. They feel amazing through roundhouse turns but I think a larger, stiffer set would solve the problems I encountered.

Reactions: ReForest

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
My opinion on using S-wings on a shorter board.......get a twin set and get a stiffer construction.

I felt the thruster set lacked drive because the fin bases are fairly small. I could also feel the fin cavitate through bottom turns.

There is something special to them for sure. They feel amazing through roundhouse turns but I think a larger, stiffer set would solve the problems I encountered.
Sounds like the mid keel 470s then.

Reactions: jkb