Tomo MPH

twinzerfan

Michael Peterson status
Oct 26, 2006
Floriduh
Swapping the tails of these aircraft would drastically affect both.

Perhaps you’re better at board design than you are with words, as ReForest suggested earlier.
exactly. Because the overall design of each aircraft is completely different.

I admit using aircraft as examples for surfboard design is apples to oranges. Much higher velocities, and pressure than a surfboard planing at 25mph(?) but that’s referencing back to Tomo’s original message

if you take two identical surfboards, say two diamond tails, and I cut a 1” flat out of the center of one, do you really think it would dramatically change the performance? Maybe at the absolute highest level of athletic ability, in the most critical situation, maybe. More likely, said athlete would be using the rail more than a mere mortal and that tiny change would be overcome.

and do you and reforest agree that all those corners release water instead of creating hold? If not, then I guess we’ll just have to agree to disagree

Last edited:
Reactions: need 4 speed

twinzerfan

Michael Peterson status
Oct 26, 2006
Floriduh
Bear in mind, I’m not saying that you shouldn’t design to that standard, just talking design and practical application

this all started because I said that there’s only a few types of tails, and that a double diamond tail is essentially a swallow tail, and that all those wings are for release, not hold.

then it went off the deep end…

round, pin, square, swallow, diamond. That’s it

Last edited:

twinzerfan

Michael Peterson status
Oct 26, 2006
Floriduh
F97547CB-55E8-4B9B-87F1-9AEC7851ECA0.jpeg
4016DB4C-A5D4-40BE-A24B-C15CFE34EDDA.jpeg

icing on cake between these? Absolutely. Both are sweet, and satisfying. Are they worlds apart? Not so much.

does the outline, rocker and foil make more or less of a difference?

hopefully that clears up my intent of explaining

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
and do you and reforest agree that all those corners release water instead of creating hold? If not, then I guess we’ll just have to agree to disagree
I don’t know. I have a cymatic and was under the impression that the bat tail ‘clawed‘ water. That kinda makes sense, I guess, because it’s literally kind of like a claw, and that when pivoting the points would cause friction that a round tail would not.

I would tend to agree that wings, being on the rails, release water.

Reactions: j_mac

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Maybe we should start (another) thread about tails and let this get back to Tomo?

I think I derailed this pretty well

To be clear, I don’t have a problem with Tomo, just wanted to talk design.
do it! I think like the fin thread, it will have legs.

tail block thickness, for example, would also be fun to break down and discuss.

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
cool, I gathered that on my own and was correct.

What I'm referring to is on a straight swallow, the difference between curving the inner edges vs a straight cut