Tomo MPH

sh3

Michael Peterson status
Dec 1, 2008
That's a 34L board. If you're used to that size, paddling won't be an issue. Mine paddle just fine. I'm not an El Tomo person, but I've never had an issue paddling his boards. Then again, I'm kinda known as someone who can paddle.

sh3

Michael Peterson status
Dec 1, 2008
Everything you've heard is a lie.

And it's Los Paddlero - no singular - courtesy my amigo Max Power.

Last edited:
Reactions: rowjimmytour

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
$700 is a little steep for a used board, but oddly, this sounds like i might be your size. https://offerup.com/item/detail/1277168874?q=tomo

If you size them small they can be a bitch to paddle. But I don't necessarily think all models lack paddle power - because of the wide tail and predominantly rectangular outline.
Have you ever considered getting a slightly oversized GMM2? I heard they go good...

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
$700 is a little steep for a used board, but oddly, this sounds like i might be your size. https://offerup.com/item/detail/1277168874?q=tomo

If you size them small they can be a bitch to paddle. But I don't necessarily think all models lack paddle power - because of the wide tail and predominantly rectangular outline.
that's so kind of you to offer to inspect that board, haggle the seller down on price and then pack and ship it to me up here in Oregon :monkey:

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
@ReForest gave those fins a run. The flex twins with Shapers trailers today in some marginal beachbreak waves. Feel that set up could be best on a nice long fast breaking pointbreak where it would feel good doing high line speed runs. For beachbreaks I will stick to my usual quad set in the pics. Don't even know whose signature is on them. Anyone? I avoid the twin and centre trailer set up as you have as it tends to give my lower back grief unfortunately but no doubt would be more pivotal for beachbreaks.

Reactions: ReForest and Mr J

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
@ReForest gave those fins a run. The flex twins with Shapers trailers today in some marginal beachbreak waves. Feel that set up could be best on a nice long fast breaking pointbreak where it would feel good doing high line speed runs. For beachbreaks I will stick to my usual quad set in the pics. Don't even know whose signature is on them. Anyone? I avoid the twin and centre trailer set up as you have as it tends to give my lower back grief unfortunately but no doubt would be more pivotal for beachbreaks.
Nice! Lennox looks like a perfect wave for testing boards and fins. We have some swell coming in the next few days so I might try the Webber fronts and with a couple different rears at Trestles. Such a unique flex feeling with those fins thats kind of addicting.

@Goodfish is preying on my impressionable personality. Strangely, it might be working because an oversized GMM2 might be really fun and a good learner board to pass down to the kids and wife :unsure:

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
If I find one used in a good size for me I would buy one. Either the El Tomo or maybe an Evo or something. One of the smallish wave ones that I could ride here and maybe take to Baja if it clicks for me. Being a tall person surfing in the PNW I don't feel like I'm the target audience for Tomo boards. Paddle power is too important here.
get a nano.

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
Nice! Lennox looks like a perfect wave for testing boards and fins. We have some swell coming in the next few days so I might try the Webber fronts and with a couple different rears at Trestles. Such a unique flex feeling with those fins thats kind of addicting.

@Goodfish is preying on my impressionable personality. Strangely, it might be working because an oversized GMM2 might be really fun and a good learner board to pass down to the kids and wife :unsure:
Have you ordered it yet?

sh3

Michael Peterson status
Dec 1, 2008
I couldn't ever get behind the bat tail, as more of a down the line surfer. The pivot-release it had, which is how the board is made and intended to go, was a bit abrupt for my tastes. I can see it being super positive in beach break conditions, but the stuff I surf in didn't (for me) make it addicting. On what were intended to be drawn out cutbacks, I'd pivot and lose all speed at about the 70% point in the turn. As you said, "an almost out-of-control feeling."

I'm spoiled with longer waves. Again, I can see it being a super positive thing for beach break and fast close-out style conditions. Just giving my $.02.