Tomo MPH

sh3

Michael Peterson status
Dec 1, 2008
Exactly - it's a channeled bottom nano with that swallow/jet tail. Five fin option set up - I set mine as a thruster.

Reactions: JDJ

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
Post trip ride report: Didn't use the GMM2, not because I didn't want to but because I ran out of time. Used the RNV4 first and of course loved it. She's my gal. The thruster set up allows super pivot and speed control. The V4 Twin was unreal, but also way too fast and I couldn't stall enough! That sounds weird, but it's true.

Will get more pictures, but so far I've only got the one. It's a picture of a picture.

View attachment 115746
I've fantasized about riding my GMM2 there. Not sure if it would go nuts or if I'd instantly regret my decision.

Reactions: sh3 and ReForest

sh3

Michael Peterson status
Dec 1, 2008
I've fantasized about riding my GMM2 there. Not sure if it would go nuts or if I'd instantly regret my decision.
Sadly, I think I missed a golden opportunity... but it's one of those things you need to strongly consider. I'd LOVE to try all sorts of boards there, but I'm not a man of unlimited means with multiple days to test my theories. I'm a guy who got lucky and scored one day in surf-heaven from a client when someone else (who paid full price) backed out for unknown reasons. I got LUCKY. There was admittedly some safety surfing going on there, but I also pulled into the end section full speed every time. The GMM2 would've been an interesting and amazing opportunity.

but as I said, I ran out of time. Still got about 14-16 waves!

-sh3

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Wow! Looks epic. I would love to try the El Tomo keel there. :love:

That twin V4 sounds amazing.

Let us know what fins you rode on the RNV4 too. :cool::shaka:

sh3

Michael Peterson status
Dec 1, 2008
So got back a couple of pics. Pretty stoked. None of my lefts, as yet.

So #HEYLOOKATME warning...

Rode the RNV4 with 101 fins from Marlin, the CI thruster template. Rode the twin V4 with the Britt Merrick Twin/Keel mashup template. The twin just literally outran the waves I used it on, so no pictures. Had a few, but I'm barrel dodging more than I care to advertise.

So here's a little 4 shot sequence (there are 10 shots in this, but pulled 4 for the sake of brevity) on the RNV4. You'll notice i'm struggling to fit into the barrel at the start and then it opens more near the end, kinda the opposite of the ocean:

A40I6152.jpegA40I6159.jpegA40I6163.jpegA40I6165.jpeg

Last edited:

sh3

Michael Peterson status
Dec 1, 2008
That's old faithful. Nose has been snapped off and repaired; tail has been busted and repaired. Dings on a few different surfaces repaired. Takes a licking but, as with any great XTR board, keeps on ticking.

So to all those XTR doubters out there, I just enjoy pointing out this 3 year old dog pee stained, busted tail, snapped nose beauty.

Jan 19, 2018
To @ReForest and all the other tomo fans who gave sage advice on the hydroshort, behold Dan and Javier's latest creation! It feels incredibly polished; all the color work is immaculate, the parallel carbon is in fact parallel, and the rails are just right. It's actually my first brand-new board ever (owned and traded about ~50 boards all through CL) so I'm excited to christen her on a good fall day at OB. As a newbie to the Tomo world, I was expecting more to the QISC since it seems pretty subtle on my shape (tried to get a picture of the end tail section). I have yet to feel up an hydroshort at an actual surf shop (do those even exist in SF anymore?) but it'll be interesting to compare.

I'm also interested in some back traction for it (Slater Designs Algae?) and my friend is trying to convince me to go full clear traction on the whole board. Anyone have any experience with front traction, clear or not? Wax does look dirty and shitty usually, so might be nice to have a clean looking board for once, though it seems like it would cover the small pressure release pins on the deck.
IMG_1860.jpgIMG_1861.jpgIMG_1869.jpg

Attachments

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
Sick as board mate. One thing I have said to another mate of mine - it's a surfboard, meant to be ridden and not a mantle piece. Don't make your surfing decisions based on preserving the the look of the board. Choose a tailpad that looks good sure, but wax yellowing, clear deck pads and trying to avoid small dents is a fool's game.

Enjoy the board and ride the sh!t out of it!

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
I'm also interested in some back traction for it (Slater Designs Algae?) and my friend is trying to convince me to go full clear traction on the whole board. Anyone have any experience with front traction, clear or not? Wax does look dirty and shitty usually, so might be nice to have a clean looking board for once, though it seems like it would cover the small pressure release pins on the deck.
Wax is best , dents let you know where your feet go. Wear your board in. Love it and use it a lot.
Looks like a keeper!

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
@HalfBlood415 Woo-weee! Thing looks like a peach! Congrats Halfblood. I love my HS Round tail. Nice tight turns with that one.

I vote no clear traction (although I've never tried it). Might block the vent holes.

One of my best turns ever was on a HS Round tail with parallel carbon in shitty mushy conditions too.
IMG_1596.jpg