Tomo MPH

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
I absolutely loved my psyko (bat tail) in longer point waves. It felt extremely precise, like a scalpel.

Perhaps we can't attribute the bat tail to the opposing loose/positive feelings we've had. Maybe it's a tail rocker/fin thing??
I dunno the why.. But there is definitely both elements to me. Almost like a over-caffeinated, too-fast feeling (this was most noticeable in the LFT cymatic). But then you could jam a turn at any point and it would react so quickly and like you say- precisely. I thought the first promo clips of Kelly on the Cymatic at Haleiwa showed this too.
I have tended to reach for the battails in punchy surf because of the responsiveness and being able to fit in tight turns up and down. Reminds me I need to surf the SP2 next swell!

Reactions: jkb and Havoc

estreet

Miki Dora status
Feb 19, 2021
Southern Cali
I absolutely loved my psyko (bat tail) in longer point waves. It felt extremely precise, like a scalpel.

Perhaps we can't attribute the bat tail to the opposing loose/positive feelings we've had. Maybe it's a tail rocker/fin thing??
Maybe the difference (between sh3's experience and yours) is the channels performing better in clean conditions and longer point breaks, or as a quad with more drive.

Reactions: jkb

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Maybe the difference (between sh3's experience and yours) is the channels performing better in clean conditions and longer point breaks, or as a quad with more drive.
Maybe. The channel depth+length and pointyness of the bat tail vary slightly between the models (I’ve had Psyko/SP2/Cymatic).
Could also just be that @jkb is a freak and can rip on anything…

Reactions: ReForest and JDJ

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
[QUOTE="oeste858, post: 3463660, member:
Could also just be that @jkb is a freak and can rip on anything…
[/QUOTE]

This is true. but his Tomo takes are usually on point

Reactions: oeste858

sh3

Michael Peterson status
Dec 1, 2008
Mine wasn't a Slater Designs Psyko... it was the Tomo Psyko.

Going straight in throaty waves, this would've been great (thinking the Surf Ranch) with that pin to hold you back/in. But carving it, I always felt an issue. It's just how I surf, I think. Notably, dimensions wise this is IDENTICAL to the RNV4 I did use to great success at Surf Ranch with the same rocker even. Same board except for the last 12-14 inches.

This one:

Screen Shot 2021-09-25 at 12.00.42 PM.png

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Believe Psyko was/is only a custom/xtr. I had that same boar in same xtr construction. Only rode it maybe 10 times in punchy reefs. Was fun but Cymatic was more fun so I sold it. I think the tail point on Psyko may have been slightly longer/sharper than SP2 or Cymatic but can’t say for sure.
Here’s SP2 tail:
1632600785354.jpeg

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
Interesting. have you had both? There is something about the Cymatic/SP2 design that has an almost out-of-control feeling that is... kinda addicting. I'm not sure if it's the battail or what, but it's different from any of the other tomos I've had.
Yes. Had both. Also has a Psyko. The Revo is more forgiving and smoother than the SPII, I think due to the absence of a wing and the softer squash.

SPII did feel more precise and better for slashing than the Revo. I liked both a lot. My Psyko worked really well too. I ended up selling it because of the size, which was a bit too small for me to paddle around when it got big.

Reactions: jkb

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
I've never seen a tail shape like JKB's Psyko. Its a very pulled in and the wing isnt soft, its a pretty sharp wing.
The rocker is probably my favorite part of the board.

download.jpg