Tomo MPH

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
its all a giant upsell.

how someone is willing to pay an extra $100-$200 for $10 of carefully placed material is beyond me.
I'm sure many guys say the same about ANY non PU/poly construction. I dunno man. Varial's infused glass is apparently worth an upcharge for you, so where do you draw the line?
To each his own. Who cares what other people want to ride and what they perceive the value to be?
Half the threads on this forum are about alt constructions.

Last edited:

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
I'm sure many guys say the same about ANY non PU/poly construction. I dunno man. Varial's infused glass is apparently worth an upcharge for you, so where do you draw the line?
no doubt. what is too much extra $$ and what we hope to gain is personal and part of what makes new boar day fun.

we all draw our own line. I do like the test data Varial makes available to back up their marketing. I didn’t think their upcharge (and justifications) to go infused epoxy, for example, was worth it.

also, just to be a d!ck, the example of my Varial is a bad one bc it was the cheapest/fastest way to get a custom plasmic at that time. All the spacemanchit bonus was just that, a bonus.

To each his own. Who cares what other people want to ride and what they perceive the value to be?
Half the threads on this forum are about alt constructions.
choice of the customer is just that. their choice. I salute the beta testers of this forum so I don’t have to fly blind.

Obfuscation of a manufacturing defect/issue by marketing is another category of wtf all together. at least warn the customer of a known tradeoff if you will.

I don’t blame anyone for trying the latest hot sauce even if their last one sucked. It’s their money and their shared experiences only help me, not hurt.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
I've only had one blue stringer XTR. It did feel more flexible than wood stringered.

I've yet to have an XTR delam in the half dozen boards I've bought but I'm always hopping on and off boards, not riding the same one for multiple years straight.

Last edited:

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
I've never had a board delam from XTR (knock on wood). But I've bought second hand XTR boards that had a delam on them or a delam fix on them (JKB's Evo).

I will say that the only board I've ever snapped/buckled in my entire time surfing was a Tomo SP2 with a HD blue stringer on it. The waves were hollow, low tide, 3-5ft, so its somewhat understandable... if i recall correctly, I was paddling for a wave, got pitched, and when i came up the board was snapped.

I do think the full carbon strip on the bottom adds strength. Ill attach a diagram of how it was explained to me by Javier. The needle on top of the water is like the surfboard. The board obviously has a measurable amount of tension strength alone. But when you add a strip of carbon it adds an increased amount of tension strength. It acts like a carbon cable that is anchored from nose to tail of the board. Once weight is placed on the board (needle) the full carbon strip on the bottom of the board gives the board MORE surface tension strength. He said not as stiff as a wooden stringer. But definitely stiffer than stringerless.

I dont know... i totally bought what he was saying. lol.

View attachment 115414

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
PS. That diagram probably isnt the correct diagram to explain what i was talking about but it was the best one i could find.

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
I've never had a board delam from XTR (knock on wood). But I've bought second hand XTR boards that had a delam on them or a delam fix on them (JKB's Evo).

I will say that the only board I've ever snapped/buckled in my entire time surfing was a Tomo SP2 with a HD blue stringer on it. The waves were hollow, low tide, 3-5ft, so its somewhat understandable... if i recall correctly, I was paddling for a wave, got pitched, and when i came up the board was snapped.

I do think the full carbon strip on the bottom adds strength. Ill attach a diagram of how it was explained to me by Javier. The needle on top of the water is like the surfboard. The board obviously has a measurable amount of tension strength alone. But when you add a strip of carbon it adds an increased amount of tension strength. It acts like a carbon cable that is anchored from nose to tail of the board. Once weight is placed on the board (needle) the full carbon strip on the bottom of the board gives the board MORE surface tension strength. He said not as stiff as a wooden stringer. But definitely stiffer than stringerless.

I dont know... i totally bought what he was saying. lol.

View attachment 115414
i also have a really nice gold mine to sell you. pm me for details...

sh3

Michael Peterson status
Dec 1, 2008
I've had too many XTR boards to admit to. Been riding them since Clark went under (anyone else remember that?!). Never had one delay. I do carefully maintain my boards, although accidents happen. I will say the only XTR board I didn't like was glassed extra heavy as a step up, and there was zero flex. I hated it.

For the price, I feel XTR gets about as close as you can want to a lightly glassed PUPE board but with 3-4x the life and love. Just as @JDJ said above.

And by the way, my non-stringered XTR boards (a Cybersim that is sadly no longer with me - stupidly sold it - and my present GMM2) are ahhhhmaaazzzzziiinnnngggg

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
I've had a lot of XTR's delam under my front foot (i'm front foot heavy).

I've also had a sh!t-ton of PUs delam under my front foot.

Ironically, my blue hd stringered GMM2 is one of the few that hasn't delamed under my front foot.

One thing I like about alternative stringer tech is it's consistent flex pattern, as opposed to wood that can have hard and soft spots going through it.

sh3

Michael Peterson status
Dec 1, 2008
So anyway, back to Tomo MPH boards -

Just cleaned my 3 favorites for an upcoming surf trip. Didn't plan to bring a twin fin to a hollow wave, but I'm loving it. Just in case, I'm also bringing my GMM2. So three boards I love

1. 5'7" x 19" x 2-1/2" GMM2 (31.5 liters) - ridden as a quad with nubster, Dan Mann fins
2. 5'9" x 19" x 2-3/8" RNV4 (round nose V4) (29.7 liters) - ridden as a thruster with 101 fins, CI template
3. 5'10" x 19" x 2-7/16" V4 twin (30 liters) - ridden as a... twin, duh. CI Britt Merrick proto-fins.

I planned on mainly using #2, but #3 has really excited me with it's speed and hold.
[Aside: You can tell by colors where they fall in the age spectrum: 1 year old, 3 years old, about 2 weeks old.]

Tomo Decks 8 31 2021.jpg

Tomo Bottoms 8 31 2021.jpg

Last edited:

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Such a sick quiver!! Weird how the V4 twin looks like it has a wider outline than the RN V4? :unsure:

BTW, how tall are you?

sh3

Michael Peterson status
Dec 1, 2008
Such a sick quiver!! Weird how the V4 twin looks like it has a wider outline than the RN V4? :unsure:

BTW, how tall are you?
I'm 5'10" x 165 pounds. I usually surf in a 4/3 with booties.

The curve you're seeing is from the pointy versus the round nose. It's why the rounded ones have more volume. I actually prefer them now. Didn't used to, but I also wanted a more traditional looking board in the twin... for some reason I cannot now remember.

Loving all of these boards. I'm heading to a warm water surf to some head high barreling waves tomorrow and back very soon thereafter. Hopefully I can use all three & hopefully I'm not a complete f'ing kook. Would love to report ride feel.

-S

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
I'm 5'10" x 165 pounds. I usually surf in a 4/3 with booties.

The curve you're seeing is from the pointy versus the round nose. It's why the rounded ones have more volume. I actually prefer them now. Didn't used to, but I also wanted a more traditional looking board in the twin... for some reason I cannot now remember.

Loving all of these boards. I'm heading to a warm water surf to some head high barreling waves tomorrow and back very soon thereafter. Hopefully I can use all three & hopefully I'm not a complete f'ing kook. Would love to report ride feel.

-S
Have a great time! Post trip ride/wave report would be greatly appreciated.
:waving:

Reactions: cicaeda

sh3

Michael Peterson status
Dec 1, 2008
Post trip ride report: Didn't use the GMM2, not because I didn't want to but because I ran out of time. Used the RNV4 first and of course loved it. She's my gal. The thruster set up allows super pivot and speed control. The V4 Twin was unreal, but also way too fast and I couldn't stall enough! That sounds weird, but it's true.

Will get more pictures, but so far I've only got the one. It's a picture of a picture.

Pic of pic.jpg