Tim Stamps - Shaper of the Year

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
Never tried the Quantum but have ridden the Fx, which is based on it, and a bunch of Tim’s twin fish. I’m sure it’s great. He knows how to design and shape a fish. I’ve tried fish made by a lot of the South SD legendary shapers, including Skip, and my TKF is better. YMMV

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
6-5 and 6-6 warhawk step ups for myself and a buddy arrived today. Had the shipping company guy meet me at the surf spot parking lot and we got them waxed up and paddled right out. Boards felt great. A little overkill for the overhead but slopey reef waves perhaps but we each got a few that stood up and offered some open face for carving. To me the board felt pretty familiar and similar to my old 6-6 scarecrow which is a great thing. This one is thicker along the stringer but the rails are nice and refined like the old one. It carries more thickness along the stringer up front but nothing crazy. The biggest difference I felt so far is this one paddles a bit better with the extra forward volume. Cant wait to get it out in some better surf.
20221025_113840.jpg
20221025_120749.jpg
20221025_114632.jpg

Last edited:

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
6-6 x 19 3/8 x 2 5/8 34.4L

My friend's is same dims but an inch shorter. I'll try to get some more pics of mine at some point.

@oeste858 those are EA quads in full fiberglass. flat foil rears. felt good but for the waves on offer i probably should have gone with some upright thrusters like P8's to loosen it up.

my buddy ran Mayhem L quad set and seemed to dig that setup on his backhand. he definitely won the session with a 3 turn combo on an unusually lined up set wave. this is probably his fifth or sixth Stamps round pin and he always looks good on them.

Oceanslide

Kelly Slater status
Mar 5, 2008
Oceanside, CA
6-5 and 6-6 warhawk step ups for myself and a buddy arrived today. Had the shipping company guy meet me at the surf spot parking lot and we got them waxed up and paddled right out. Boards felt great. A little overkill for the overhead but slopey reef waves perhaps we each got a few thay stood up and offered some open face for carving. To me the board felt pretty familiar and similar to my old 6-6 scarecrow which is a great thing. This one is thicker along the stringer but the rails are nice and refined like the old one. It carries more thickness along the stringer up front but nothing crazy. The biggest difference I felt so far is this one paddles a bit better with the extra forward volume. Cant wait to get it out in some better surf.
View attachment 140567
View attachment 140569
View attachment 140570
Those are both gorgeous...and I'd never probably use either one. Hope you do!!

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Thought I would do a little 6-6 Warhawk+ vs. 6-6 77+ comparison. Last summer my favorite 6-6 scarecrow got stolen out of my truck and I decided to try the sharpeye 77+ as a replacement. Im a fan of sharpeye boards but the 77 was not a great replacement for such a versatile board as the scarecrow.

77+ is 1/8th wider but otherwise dims are the same.
77+ nose width is 11 7/8" whawk nose width is 12"
Both have 14 1/4" tail width.
Both show about 2 9/16" tail rocker while laid flat on concrete but the 77+ has like 1/2" more nose rocker.

The 77+ has a lot of rocker through the center and you can feel it. It is also more foiled in the rails and through the tail. So if the waves are at all marginal or you are not on your game it is kind of punishing. In good to great waves it feels amazing but unfortunately I dont get those types of waves as much as I would like.

The warhawk does not feel punishing. It feels reasonable. It is noticeably faster paddling around and is quicker to tap into the energy of a wave. Quicker down the line and more stable feeling under the front foot.

The Warhawk bottom contours are flat to mellow concave until about 24" and then it gets pretty deep through the"engine". Fades out behind the rear fin but never goes completely flat. Mellow inset double through the fins. Pretty classic Stamps contours but I think a little deeper than he used to do, at least for a step up. I would say compared to my old scarecrow stepup this one does feel a little more sparky. More of a good wave shortboard than a stiff, gunny step up which I think will only add to its versatility.

20221025_182857.jpg
20221025_183150.jpg

MathDebater

Michael Peterson status
Apr 13, 2016
SD
I see you went to the trouble of testing it with a matching pad but then you just threw on some random leash string. That throws the whole comparo off. Sheesh.

For real tho, great intel. Sometimes I think about ordering pointy boards from Tim again but then realize I will barely use them around here :foreheadslap:

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
I see you went to the trouble of testing it with a matching pad but then you just threw on some random leash string. That throws the whole comparo off. Sheesh.

For real tho, great intel. Sometimes I think about ordering pointy boards from Tim again but then realize I will barely use them around here :foreheadslap:
Wow, I though you knew me well enough to know I would never just throw in a random leash string without careful consideration. I agonized for minutes before making this important decision, ultimately deciding on the black CI leash string for added performance.

The 77+ is already too HP for me.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
does anyone know if Tim is right or left handed?

i see he wears his watch on his right hand which makes me think he's a lefty...

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Is the Warhawk the preferred Simpo model?

I feel like he orders a lot of them but haven’t really kept up to date with his choice shapes.

Reactions: JDJ