This is about to get worse

Billy Ocean

Duke status
Jan 7, 2017
This shouldn't even be considered, let alone put to a vote
I don’t think I’m in favor of it, but other countries are doing this and it seems to work

If it took something like this to reopen the economy and avoid a depression then I think I would get over my privacy concerns

Especially because the government is probably already collecting all of this data anyway

Billy Ocean

Duke status
Jan 7, 2017
This isn't science. WHat's the opposite of science, because that's what this is.

The Murray model is the default model used to drive public policy. It has been wrong to a level that suggests nothing but ineptitude.

Hospital beds open vs hospital beds needed is a leading indicator. This number is trending down.Look at the predictions for Florida vs what is really happening.

Death is a lagging indicator. Basing policy on a lagging indicator is not basing it on any acceptable science. It's an emotional response. Is that the opposite of science?

Dr Fauci said he would rather go too far and answer for overreacting later than not go far enough. Can we at least admit that's what we are doing and dispense with the science argument? We can call it the Billy Ocean conundrum.
So you think almost every advanced nation on earth is reacting emotionally and not based on the best available info?

It’s possible I guess

Reactions: Ifallalot

VonMeister

Duke status
Apr 26, 2013
JOE BIDENS RAPE FINGER
So you think almost every advanced nation on earth is reacting emotionally and not based on the best available info?

It’s possible I guess
No, maybe it’s perfectly rational and we just accidentally put the global warming prognosticators in charge.

At the end of the day the data is the data and right now the data shows gross ineptitude.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016

It’s possible I guess
Yes.

We are tanking the global economy to slow down the spread of a virus. 95%+ of the people who die from it are over 80 and have underlying health problems.

In the vast majority of cases we are NOT saving life, we extending life of the unhealthy by a few days, weeks or months.

Is it worth tanking the global economy for that? I say no. Some may say yes. But this is the real argument we should be having.

Also think about this for a second...

We are going nuts retooling the world to make ventilators. 50% of patients who get intubated will die in ICU (the other half will die shortly after if we’re being honest).

This is not worth it.

Even if it’s one my own family members.

Billy Ocean

Duke status
Jan 7, 2017
No, maybe it’s perfectly rational and we just accidentally put the global warming prognosticators in charge.

At the end of the day the data is the data and right now the data shows gross ineptitude.
i don’t agree with your conclusion but I think the global warming thing is an interesting comparison

Billy Ocean

Duke status
Jan 7, 2017
Yes.

We are tanking the global economy to slow down the spread of a virus. 95%+ of the people who die from it are over 80 and have underlying health problems.

In the vast majority of cases we are NOT saving life, we extending life of the unhealthy by a few days, weeks or months.

Is it worth tanking the global economy for that? I say no. Some may say yes. But this is the real argument we should be having.

We are going nuts retooling the world to make ventilators. 50% of patients who get intubated will die in ICU (the other half will die shortly after if we’re being honest).

This is not worth it.

I think the data we’re getting is questionable

there are people who want to hype it up and also downplay it

I think it’s possible it’s less serious than it seems right now but I also think it’s possible that it’s worse

who knows how many died in China?

with something that is so highly contagious, I think erring on the side of caution makes sense, but only to buy time to figure out how to manage if it turns out to be dangerous

I think calls to remain shut down for more than another 1-2 months are totally unrealistic

craigj532

Kelly Slater status
Nov 9, 2002
Italy - 12% mortality rate
Spain - 9.4% mortality rate
France - 8.9% mortality rate
England - 10.3% mortality rate

US - 2.8% mortality rate

We must be doing something right to keep the healthcare system from getting overwhelmed.

FecalFace

Duke status
Nov 21, 2008
The Californias
Italy - 12% mortality rate
Spain - 9.4% mortality rate
France - 8.9% mortality rate
England - 10.3% mortality rate

US - 2.8% mortality rate

We must be doing something right to keep the healthcare system from getting overwhelmed.
1) test availability

2) age of the population

GWS_2

Miki Dora status
Aug 3, 2019
My mother-in-law died on a ventilator.

Never again will I let that happen to a loved one. Sometimes death is the best option.
Sorry you went through that.

This morning I heard an interesting stat, on two different cable news feeds.

Of all the people they put on a ventilator with COVID19, 20% live.

They are trying various ways of upping that dismal percentage, but if you make it off a ventilator, you beat the odds.

Still no results for me.

I'm thinking by the time I get my results I'll have died ten years ago while playing Bridge at Seizure World. Somebody feel free to engrave it on my headstone. And then pour me one last whisky on the rocks with a couple of Oxy chasers!

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Yes.

This is not worth it.

A valid point to consider.