Things to bring to Indo (boat trip)

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
Tapping the erBB Brain Trust - Doing this same trip at the end of the month.

Boards I'm thinking of bringing:

5'11 Stretch 2x4 - 30L
6'2 Lost Driver 2.0 - 31.5L

Should I bother bringing another one? I've been to the ments a few times and 2 boards were fine, but want to make sure. Staying for 14 days this time around
Think everyone on my trip brought 3-4 boards.
everyone really only rode 2 boards
Their most HP board and something a little bigger to get in on the big days.

Zero need to bring 4 boards.
If you want to go 3, add another HPSB or a fish if forecast is smaller.

Truth

Phil Edwards status
Jul 18, 2002
new announcement coming up on quarantine from from government -hearing possibility of a longer quarantine will be required

who knows these days but something to look out for

• Wow
Reactions: santacruzin

csarqui

Legend (inyourownmind)
Oct 11, 2009
new announcement coming up on quarantine from from government -hearing possibility of a longer quarantine will be required

who knows these days but something to look out for
Yup. I'm hearing the same.

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
favorite pics from the trip so far. Not a big scary barrel day just fun rippable waves with the coolest most stocked locals ever.
I had so much fun with these two groms. We were laughing and hooting at each other on every wave, ended up surfing for 6-7 hours this day. 2 diff boards (modish and V3) 8 bintangs and the best time ever.

cheesing super hard here , this pic reminds me of what surfing should be and a day I won’t soon forget.
no worries just surf and laugh.

V3 5’10 x 18 1/4 x 2 3/8 with the orange AM2s
B5E0BC5A-417D-4BD7-A1EA-063CC5725B5B.jpeg

And morning modfish session 5’5 x 20 x 2 1/2 using plastic fcs fins.. just kidding GG :roflmao:

9B01B022-E1A1-46DF-A4FE-D33A404E2197.jpeg
233A907A-EBC0-4CAC-97FD-DF38716123AC.jpeg

Hopefully new tine rules don’t screw everyone , knew I shouldn’t have left :cursing:sounds like it’s going to get even emptier!!
just heard 2 weeks quarantine from my friend over there? Hope she’s wrong that’s next level rough.

Yewstreet

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 8, 2019
Interesting as this morning surfline posted an article about Kandui, still stating the 5 day quarantine. You figure they (Kandui) would be super tapped into the latest regulations there as they are the biggest place in that area. Guess we'll find out more next week!

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Epic choob shot on the V3. :cool:
Are those reef booties really necessary? I've never been to any reef breaks, so i have no clue.

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
Are those reef booties really necessary? I've never been to any reef breaks, so i have no clue.
you don’t need them until you do! I had 3 huge cuts on the side of my foot from dry docking the greedy section in the morning session on the modfish. Lost a fin had to repair board and foot.

was wearing booties session 2 and 3 as to not make them worse.

Drumsurf

Billy Hamilton status
Nov 4, 2012
Beach
We bailed on our trip due to quarantine. Couldn't get 11 guys on the same page and just pushed it off to next year. Boat kept the deposit which is fine. I know they are hurting. Sounds like it's only getting stricter.....

Great stuff you posted santacruzin. Glad you scored.

HSY

OTF status
Aug 15, 2011
Love this thread... your pics have me frothing for surf. Funny thing is I always thought of Santa Cruz as a great surf town to live in with good surf in a cool town, but indo is obviously next level. Then again, I live in LA which I love as a city, but means that I split my time between marginal quality south bay dawn patrol (crazy crowded everywhere lately), or even more crowded north LA point surf dawn patrol (jeezuz look at the cams today).

Reactions: santacruzin

LifeOnMars

Michael Peterson status
Jan 14, 2020
Love this thread... your pics have me frothing for surf. Funny thing is I always thought of Santa Cruz as a great surf town to live in with good surf in a cool town, but indo is obviously next level. Then again, I live in LA which I love as a city, but means that I split my time between marginal quality south bay dawn patrol (crazy crowded everywhere lately), or even more crowded north LA point surf dawn patrol (jeezuz look at the cams today).
waves are kind of :poop: most of the time in SC proper, home of the mushy right hand point break. pretty consistent but not that great compared to many other parts of the world. LA is trash for surfing so it's easy to see why you have low standards :monkey:

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
It's one crucial thing Indo teaches you, isn't it? It may seem like the biggest Charlie Foxtrot, but it all works out.

I'm sure Truth will agree.
it’s really true, just gotta have faith and a good attitude. Looking at going back June 22nd if everything works out, sounds like 5 day quarantine for now.

Reactions: Aruka and Maz

Yewstreet

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 8, 2019
it’s really true, just gotta have faith and a good attitude. Looking at going back June 22nd if everything works out, sounds like 5 day quarantine for now.
Lets hope it stays that way!! Put my lost driver 2.0 to work north of you today around mid-morning. Was able to link 3 pretty good turns smoothly without having to pump. Had me fired up for proper waves!!!:jamon:

Truth

Phil Edwards status
Jul 18, 2002
It's one crucial thing Indo teaches you, isn't it? It may seem like the biggest Charlie Foxtrot, but it all works out.

I'm sure Truth will agree.
nothing makes sense here - hard when you come here on holiday and have to get back home on a date - easier living here - more of the "maybe tomorrow" the plane/ferry will go

they just extended domestic travel ban for another week

so funny - these official announcements - its a ban but maybe we can fly - who knows

empty morning tubes
nap
more tubes
bcue some chickens w friends
and drink beer

now you know santacruzin indo is insane for a surfer

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
nothing makes sense here - hard when you come here on holiday and have to get back home on a date - easier living here - more of the "maybe tomorrow" the plane/ferry will go

now you know santacruzin indo is insane for a surfer
Indo is better than everywhere. End of story.

so true about the maybe tomorrow, half our crew had to get back and 3 of us just hung around. The stress Difference was huge between being on a schedule and just going with the indo flow.

can’t even surf now just been planning my return trip!
Dont go to Indo or it may change your life :roflmao:

Reactions: MathDebater

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
I grew up only ever surfing over some sort of reef, and while I don't disagree with @santacruzin that you need it when you need it, I there is a skill to bailing over rocks. The starfish method might seem counter intuitive, but gets you out of trouble most of the time ... until it doesn't I guess :D

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
I grew up only ever surfing over some sort of reef, and while I don't disagree with @santacruzin that you need it when you need it, I there is a skill to bailing over rocks. The starfish method might seem counter intuitive, but gets you out of trouble most of the time ... until it doesn't I guess :D
totally agree. starfish saved me more than a few times . wave I cut myself on I wasn’t even thinking. Just kept doing bottom Turn , top turn, bottom turn, turn top turn. Then oops I was dry on the reef :roflmao:escaped with 3 huge gashes on my back foot a giant one on my knee and a few on my arm.
I was hypnotized by the perfection!

After my cuts somewhat closed (things don’t heal when surfing for hours each day ) I stopped wearing booties. Definitely an art to surfing over reef. feel like I got way more comfortable with all the close calls, bails, swims and reef tours I had.
:cheers: