Things to bring to Indo (boat trip)

waxfoot

Michael Peterson status
Apr 21, 2018
And better than the name says. Get one that hugs the point, and you're flying.
Yeap, got barrelled right next to the rocks on that Burger world point, then the rest of the wave just keeps going forever, making me feel like I'm surfing "The point" in Jbay all over again (the point's the furthest peak to the left when you're facing Supertubes, a couple KM down the beach)

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
Yeap, got barrelled right next to the rocks on that Burger world point, then the rest of the wave just keeps going forever, making me feel like I'm surfing "The point" in Jbay all over again (the point's the furthest peak to the left when you're facing Supertubes, a couple KM down the beach)
yup! Almost too big when we were there. Had to sit at the top of point , easy to duck dive sets in the crease there although it was a bit of work.
got so many turns on the runners legs would burn.

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
Dude......

You're really missing out back home right now.

It's going off!

:roflmao:
Back stateside now, the comedown is no joke! work looks to be on board with me going remote for a bit , need to rent my place, have my contact set up visas/logistics and I am heading back over :)

Will post up some more pics and stories later to further inspire and enrage the erbb :)

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
Exactly my experience.

The sessions we had there, you had to sit right at the top and close to the rocks, otherwise the big burgers would get you and drag you mercilessly down the point.

Apart from the tight runners, some of my best waves were when you could take off at the top and then backdoor a big wide-swinger.

Incredible how many different waves there are in a small area. From ++heavy to soft; long to short; ultra shallow to deep power.

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
:nana::nana:
I am not special anyone can make things happen if they want, I have two kids and a full time job. A couple other erbber are about to charge it too.
I would love to see more bbers posting up a scorefest. Love seeing people score, Truth and his epic posts inspired me.

updated list

things to leave at home
1. iPad - too rad of a crew , never even turned on the boats TV - captain said that was a first. Better to experience everything IMO . surf all day or fish or snorkel or talk to people
2. Boards - took too many . Only needed a step up and good wave board . Buddy broke 2 boards so backups make sense
3. First aid stuff - the boat I was on had everything - check with captain before packing
4. Snacks - our boat was stocked to the gills
5. Ding repair - also covered by boat
6. Cheap hooded rash guard - no fun when it gets pulled over your head while you are getting pounded
7. Bad attitude - leave that sh!t at home. had some major hiccups along the way was rad to be traveling with a positive solid crew.
8. Old leashes - one guy snapped 2.
9. Reef booties that are not snug as fuck. Bigger waves will snatch them off

things that were good to have
1. Sunscreen - by end of trip we were running out
2. Reef booties - should have brought back up pair. I have had staph before so I am paranoid of cuts
3. Fins - great trying out different options in perfect waves
4. melatonin - would have been good to help adjust to time first few days
5. Massage gun - really good thing to work those traps and shoulders
6. O’Neill hooded rash guard - see Above about the cheap ones
7. stuff to give away - left all my leashes, ding repair, first aid and trunks with the locals we stayed with once off the boat
8. Cash - was helpful when we decided to extend trip and paying for random stuff
9. International phone plan - shocked how much service I had and was great to talk to kiddos.
10. Drip Drop electrolyte drink - great when the pocari Sweat is not doing it
11. Whiskey - nice for the nightcaps
12. Balls - definitely pussed out on a few in the beginning of trip. By the end I was in full send mode and beatings were not as bad as Imagined
13. Good boat crew and captain - can’t say enough good things about how important this is , we had different levels of surfers and personalities but it worked perfectly. Rippers pushed us cruisers past our comfort level.partiers kept the comedy level high Skipper put us in the right spot literally every session, can only remember one slow day and it was a good rest. make friends with the people you don’t know , saw another boat that had guys fighting on it .... don’t be those guys
14. learn Bahasa - so great to be able to better communicate with people you meet
15. 2 good wave HP boards, one step up. We surfed really good waves and I didn’t need anything over 6’4
everyone says this but I didn’t listen. would take my hydronaut and 2 hpsb next time. Off season swap out for mod fish.
round pins, fin options dont need a ton of volume cause no dam wetsuit
Chargers adjust accordingly
16. Old sunglasses - great to trade with locals for the souvenirs
17. After sun - so good for us Whiteys. The vertra stuff is really good
18. Paper and pencils had a rad little art session one day
19. Good surf hat, some days it was painfully bright
20. Cardio game - you are going to surf, a lot, some places you have a long paddle from rides. Some you have to paddle in and around reefs to get back to lineup. Some have currents pulling you up or down the reef. Train hard and surf more.
21. Stretching - make time every day to stretch every day your shoulders , back, hips, neck etc. I should have stretched more.

Last edited:

scdad

Legend (inyourownmind)
Mar 20, 2003
San Clemente, CA
... saw another boat that had guys fighting on it .... don’t be those guys
I cannot even imagine being on a surf trip like that and people being in a crappy mood that they are fighting and arguing. Wow! I'd probably be smiling the whole time and just stoked to be on a new adventure in a beautiful part of the world. Thanks for the lists.

Reactions: santacruzin

santacruzin

Kelly Slater status
Oct 17, 2007
valley purgatory
Agreed! They were the laughing stock.
I made a ton of lifelong friends as we got to experience some crazy sh!t together!! Already planning a reunion

also highly recommend this board bag

Yewstreet

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 8, 2019
Agreed! They were the laughing stock.
I made a ton of lifelong friends as we got to experience some crazy sh!t together!! Already planning a reunion

also highly recommend this board bag
I was actually gonna get a new bag for this trip this weekend! thanks for the recommendation !!

sh3

Michael Peterson status
Dec 1, 2008
I am not special anyone can make things happen if they want, I have two kids and a full time job. A couple other erbber are about to charge it too.
I would love to see more bbers posting up a scorefest. Love seeing people score, Truth and his epic posts inspired me.

updated list

things to leave at home
1. iPad - too rad of a crew , never even turned on the boats TV - captain said that was a first. Better to experience everything IMO . surf all day or fish or snorkel or talk to people
2. Boards - took too many . Only needed a step up and good wave board . Buddy broke 2 boards so backups make sense
3. First aid stuff - the boat I was on had everything - check with captain before packing
4. Snacks - our boat was stocked to the gills
5. Ding repair - also covered by boat
6. Cheap hooded rash guard - no fun when it gets pulled over your head while you are getting pounded
7. Bad attitude - leave that sh!t at home. had some major hiccups along the way was rad to be traveling with a positive solid crew.
8. Old leashes - one guy snapped 2.
9. Reef booties that are not snug as fook. Bigger waves will snatch them off

things that were good to have
1. Sunscreen - by end of trip we were running out
2. Reef booties - should have brought back up pair. I have had staph before so I am paranoid of cuts
3. Fins - great trying out different options in perfect waves
4. melatonin - would have been good to help adjust to time first few days
5. Massage gun - really good thing to work those traps and shoulders
6. O’Neill hooded rash guard - see Above about the cheap ones
7. stuff to give away - left all my leashes, ding repair, first aid and trunks with the locals we stayed with once off the boat
8. Cash - was helpful when we decided to extend trip and paying for random stuff
9. International phone plan - shocked how much service I had and was great to talk to kiddos.
10. Drip Drop electrolyte drink - great when the pocari Sweat is not doing it
11. Whiskey - nice for the nightcaps
12. Balls - definitely pussed out on a few in the beginning of trip. By the end I was in full send mode and beatings were not as bad as Imagined
13. Good boat crew and captain - can’t say enough good things about how important this is , we had different levels of surfers and personalities but it worked perfectly. Rippers pushed us cruisers past our comfort level.partiers kept the comedy level high Skipper put us in the right spot literally every session, can only remember one slow day and it was a good rest. make friends with the people you don’t know , saw another boat that had guys fighting on it .... don’t be those guys
14. learn Bahasa - so great to be able to better communicate with people you meet
15. 2 good wave HP boards, one step up. We surfed really good waves and I didn’t need anything over 6’4
everyone says this but I didn’t listen. would take my hydronaut and 2 hpsb next time. Off season swap out for mod fish.
round pins, fin options dont need a ton of volume cause no dam wetsuit
Chargers adjust accordingly
16. Old sunglasses - great to trade with locals for the souvenirs
17. After sun - so good for us Whiteys. The vertra stuff is really good
18. Paper and pencils had a rad little art session one day
19. Good surf hat, some days it was painfully bright
Learned the same lessons first time I went to Tavarua. Brought 4 boards of various sizes. Used two: HPSB & Step up. Learned my lesson and travel light from that point forward. Last Fiji trip brought two boards: The HPSB & a slight (I mean slight) step up from that. Makes life so easy when you see everyone else with big ass coffins and you're traveling with a light 'sling it over your shoulder' bag.

And that list... it should be pinned to the top for anyone ever considering a trip to a warm water wave locale.

Yewstreet

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 8, 2019
Tapping the erBB Brain Trust - Doing this same trip at the end of the month.

Boards I'm thinking of bringing:

5'11 Stretch 2x4 - 30L
6'2 Lost Driver 2.0 - 31.5L

Should I bother bringing another one? I've been to the ments a few times and 2 boards were fine, but want to make sure. Staying for 14 days this time around