The Yin and Yang of Gerry Lopez (upcoming streaming film)

Pico

Duke status
Aug 20, 2010
SUP Nation
yea, a decade ago he used to routinely show up at a popular spot on the Or coast to SUP along with an Armada from Bend, take over the local campground, lineup full of SUP kooks flailing and falling on their boards. When he exchanged the OR coast for an east cape hang, the armada dissapeared, and the locals were stoked. Never saw a moregraceful stand up on a SUP, however, or a greedier one.
How much would Corporate exec out of Mission Veijo or even DP pay to win a "Surf with G-Lo"?

JSC

Nep status
Mar 11, 2008
Since we have "The Hagiography of Gerry Lopez" directed by Stacy Peralta and funded by his sponsor, patagonia - maybe we need the real story from an independent filmmaker -

"Gerry Lopez, the Unathorized Biopic". 70's North Shore white powder Drugs and Thugs, the Lightning Bolt colitas, "Sea of Darkness" the Real Story of Mike Boyum and G-Land, Hollywood with John Milius and Arnold Schwarzenegger, soft top foamies made in China and sold by Costco, the deal with Surf Tech, getting hassled at Seaside and all the stuff that wasn't in the hagiography.

https://surftech.com/gerry-lopez/

Last edited:
Reactions: Chocki

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Since we have "The Hagiography of Gerry Lopez" directed by Stacy Peralta and funded by his sponsor, patagonia - maybe we need the real story from an independent filmmaker -

"Gerry Lopez, the Unathorized Biopic". 70's North Shore white powder Drugs and Thugs, the Lightning Bolt colitas, "Sea of Darkness" the Real Story of Mike Boyum and G-Land, soft top foamies made in China and sold by Costco, the deal with Surf Tech, getting hassled at Seaside and all the stuff that wasn't in the hagiography.

https://surftech.com/gerry-lopez/
What is meant/story about "Lightning Bolt colitas"?

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Here's a question for y'all. Say you're like me, a competent, maybe above average surfer with decades of experience, and you're out in a crowded line up of mostly wobbly newbies. Don't you just put your head down and go hard on waves that the wobblers might have a 50/50 chance of making? I'm not saying dropping in on them, but sitting in the right spot, taking off deep and getting your share of waves?

Now think of Lopez, who surfed at least 60 years, is a world class talent, has surfed giant Pipeline and G-land. If you're HIM and you're out in that same crowd...how would YOU be?

:shrug:

I hear lots of "entitled" attitudes on here, scoffing at Costco boards and hipsters who think they're cool but are in reality not as cool as your truly...I imagine Gerry would shrug off the critiques. "I (hand) shaped Lightning Bolts in the 70's, man!" how much more core can you get than that?

Reactions: KyleTalbott and sh3

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
<raises hand to acknowledge I would Happily collect checks from lifestyle brands, and would probably get more than my share of waves at most spots because yes I’m Gerry f-ing Lopez”

Pico

Duke status
Aug 20, 2010
SUP Nation
As far as his contrite apology about stealing waves I dont buy it. It was a "Sorry, not sorry". Not that I have issue with it. Cost of doing business on the NS. Everyone gets away with what they can. A feeling of entitlement and pecking order infests every line up. Are you there to make friends or catch waves?

Woke AF

Tom Curren status
Jul 29, 2009
Southern Tip, Norcal
Here's a question for y'all. Say you're like me, a competent, maybe above average surfer with decades of experience, and you're out in a crowded line up of mostly wobbly newbies. Don't you just put your head down and go hard on waves that the wobblers might have a 50/50 chance of making? I'm not saying dropping in on them, but sitting in the right spot, taking off deep and getting your share of waves?

Now think of Lopez, who surfed at least 60 years, is a world class talent, has surfed giant Pipeline and G-land. If you're HIM and you're out in that same crowd...how would YOU be?

I hear lots of "entitled" attitudes on here, scoffing at Costco boards and hipsters who think they're cool but are in reality not as cool as your truly...I imagine Gerry would shrug off the critiques. "I (hand) shaped Lightning Bolts in the 70's, man!" how much more core can you get than that?
Simple rule:
Whoever you are.
Whatever you have done.
Don't be a dick about what you do now.

hammies

Duke status
Apr 8, 2006
He may have been a dick in the water, but at least he wasn't moving ice.

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
I tweaked my nose this morning coming out of a small kine cover-up .... for you Sensei Subotai.

:roflmao::roflmao::roflmao::poke:

392eac6ed49a8a51fb5390da76960f91--conan-the-barbarian-the-barbarians.jpg

My wife was in Conan the Barbarian (1982) the summer we met.

:dancing::dancing::dancing:;):porcorn:

Ranga

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 31, 2008

This is probably my egomania talking, but a lot of times I'm the most experienced guy out at my local and end up getting a lot of waves. Sometimes other bros want to sound me, but are sitting off the peak or inside or whatever. I'm going to sit as deep as I can and outside, waiting for the best waves. If another guy comes and sits with me, fine. But if you want the waves I'm getting you gotta sit where I sit and be willing to mix it up.

A competent surfer should be able to out-position a sup, unless the supper is the better surfer.

Last edited:

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Haha I was teeing up a very similar reply

like, Im no mega shredder or enforcer but I too am often the most experienced guy in the water especially at the sandbar and jetties down my block. And I get more waves because yeah, I’m in position and taking off. I don’t do laps, I don’t burn newbies, and I’ll even give a nod to a few of them if I’ve gotten a few good ones in a row, just signalling that I am willing to let this set go for them. beyond That civility, I will always go after waves I’m in position for, even if I’m getting way more than the newbies around me. I wont burn or back paddle but if they aren’t capable I won’t hesitate to sit outside and take every set that goes my way

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
Haha I was teeing up a very similar reply

like, Im no mega shredder or enforcer but I too am often the most experienced guy in the water especially at the sandbar and jetties down my block. And I get more waves because yeah, I’m in position and taking off. I don’t do laps, I don’t burn newbies, and I’ll even give a nod to a few of them if I’ve gotten a few good ones in a row, just signalling that I am willing to let this set go for them. beyond That civility, I will always go after waves I’m in position for, even if I’m getting way more than the newbies around me. I wont burn or back paddle but if they aren’t capable I won’t hesitate to sit outside and take every set that goes my way
This is the guey, Sensei.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
This is probably my egomania talking, but a lot of times I'm the most experienced guy out at my local, and end up getting a lot of waves. Sometimes other bros want to sound me, but are sitting off the peak or inside or whatever. I'm going to sit as deep as I can and outside, waiting for the best waves. If another guy comes and sits with me, fine. But if you want the waves I'm getting you gotta sit where I sit and be willing to mix it up.

A competent surfer should be able to out-position a sup, unless the supper is the better surfer.
Lots of times at my local when I feel like I'm getting too many waves, I'll intentionally let one go by to feed the newbies and they will all miss it.

:foreheadslap:

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
The part about Gerry going to Bali and G-Land were my favorite parts of the movie. I also enjoyed him talking about moving to Bend and shaping with his son.

Reactions: Subway and Pico

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Lots of times at my local when I feel like I'm getting too many waves, I'll intentionally let one go by to feed the newbies and they will all miss it.

:foreheadslap:
this is ALSO true. I extend that civility on ONE set, and if hilarity ensues, as it so often does, then i stop letting any go, and the newbies can just learn the hard way

Reactions: One-Off

Pico

Duke status
Aug 20, 2010
SUP Nation
The part about Gerry going to Bali and G-Land were my favorite parts of the movie. I also enjoyed him talking about moving to Bend and shaping with his son.
I liked the Bend part as well. Its funny the Bali/Gland parts were when GLo's heyday was over more or less. He was old. Hollywood. And yet still very interesting. Its not like we followed the lives of S Thompson or T Carrol or anybody as much as GLo. He kind of set the stage for the financially successful Free Surfer after the contest days are over. The Machado's and JOB's making careers where there were none. The Big Wave paddlers at Jaws or Mavs. I zero interest in contests these days unless its on the NS. I dont follow the WSL or ASP. I have no idea who those contests are. But I do subscribe to the JOB channel and am Psyched!

Reactions: JDJ