The Yin and Yang of Gerry Lopez (upcoming streaming film)

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
Yeah I noticed that too.

I also noticed that he tries hard to portray himself as somebody who doesn't care too much about money, but he clearly seems to have plenty of it.
Plenty of people are that way.

Law of attraction?

It works.

IE: chase little painted pieces of paper for a living, and no matter how many you accumulate, it's never enough.

start your days from a place of gratitude, and you will not only appreciate what you already have, and have had, but plenty more of it will come your way too.

It's like the old Spanish saying about the handsome guy, who pulls gorgeous women, seemingly completely out of his league, without putting any effort into said pursuit...

"Este las mata callando".

:shrug::cool:;)

Reactions: Havoc and erik1938

Woke AF

Tom Curren status
Jul 29, 2009
Southern Tip, Norcal
Yeah I noticed that too.

I also noticed that he tries hard to portray himself as somebody who doesn't care too much about money, but he clearly seems to have plenty of it.
He plays the yogi card pretty hard, and there are plenty of yogis who are not ascetics. Interesting character. I wonder if he takes it personally when people burn him or he gets told to leave -these days. By his own accounts, he has plenty of karma to burn off, but maybe he is past that:alien:

SurfFuerteventura

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Sep 20, 2014
Ribbit
He plays the yogi card pretty hard, and there are plenty of yogis who are not ascetics. Interesting character. I wonder if he takes it personally when people burn him or he gets told to leave -these days. By his own accounts, he has plenty of karma to burn off, but maybe he is past that:alien:
Maybe, like with everything else in life, a yoga master doesn't give a rats arse about much, except breathing deeply?

10 years, 10,000 hours, etc... to master an activity; he's been yogaing for 50 years now.

Hello?

:monkey:

Ranga

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 31, 2008
I don't think he's trying to portray himself as a yoga master, just a guy that found something that really works for him.

We tend to laud competitive as$holes who win at any cost -- Jordan, Lance, Tony Hawk, Brady etc etc. I'm not sure if Gerry is cut from the same cloth.

No matter what you think of him, he seems way cooler than Slater or anyone else making a living off surfing.

Pico

Duke status
Aug 20, 2010
SUP Nation
Socially G-Lo is just kind of a normal dude. Of course he didnt "Have" to leave HI and is in HI quite often. Some wanna bes wannna make Shibi when there aint none. Sometimes ya got to fight for waves and how you are able to do that can make some all peas off. Pffftt. Who cares.

Reactions: Woke AF

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
Yeah I noticed that too.

Zen masters masters love money just like the rest of us.

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
Watched it early this AM. They showed how badly he got destroyed at Pipe, kooking it big time on a foil before it clicked, showing the yoga poses he can't do after 50 years. Seemed pretty balanced to me, maybe with the pinnacle of his life being "one with G-land" when he stayed behind.

Reactions: Pescado713

sponge

Tom Curren status
Feb 10, 2002
Honolulu, HI, USA
Visit site
Socially G-Lo is just kind of a normal dude. Of course he didnt "Have" to leave HI and is in HI quite often. Some wanna bes wannna make Shibi when there aint none. Sometimes ya got to fight for waves and how you are able to do that can make some all peas off. Pffftt. Who cares.
shibai?

Reactions: Pico

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
Re Lopez at G-Land, watch Sea of Darkness if you can find it. Lopez was good there, but Pete McCabe was the star.

Woke AF

Tom Curren status
Jul 29, 2009
Southern Tip, Norcal
Watched it early this AM. They showed how badly he got destroyed at Pipe, kooking it big time on a foil before it clicked, showing the yoga poses he can't do after 50 years. Seemed pretty balanced to me, maybe with the pinnacle of his life being "one with G-land" when he stayed behind.
Balance was the theme of the entire movie: Ying/yang, yoga, good/bad
a little bit heavy-handed and plays right into his public persona, IMHO

they didn't touch him selling his name to put on foam boards, which seems to be too much for a lot of people. He presents himself as the one having the most fun(in life) always smiling and happy while doing the things he loves, even while breaking cultural rules(enabling kooks w/ equipment).
Maybe he is a yogi master, good for him if so.

Woke AF

Tom Curren status
Jul 29, 2009
Southern Tip, Norcal
I didn't see that. He was never a ripper, more a tube shooter. Do you mean he never tweaks his nose at G-land?
Nose tweaking isn't a style element for me. I think they describe it in the film as calm in a critical situation(heavy wave) which is more of the yiing/yang theme..
I think style is a little more than that, and you know it when you see it.
They didn't show much of the g-land surfing but:shrug:

TeamScam

Miki Dora status
Jan 14, 2002
Mid-Atlantic
The nose touching is a bad habit. Just like claiming or looking back to see if everyone saw that at the end of the wave. People do neurotic little things as routine, check turns, adjusting your feet that can occasionally look cool but do it more than a couple times and it looks grotesque. Then other people do it and it looks contrived.
Maybe I don't understand the nose tweak, but tweak the tail is a nice touch. I never saw Gerry do that, and a generation loves him for it.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
The nose touching is a bad habit. Just like claiming or looking back to see if everyone saw that at the end of the wave. People do neurotic little things as routine, check turns, adjusting your feet that can occasionally look cool but do it more than a couple times and it looks grotesque. Then other people do it and it looks contrived.
Maybe I don't understand the nose tweak, but tweak the tail is a nice touch. I never saw Gerry do that, and a generation loves him for it.
I never tweaked my nose. You think he consciously did that as a claim? You're on the NS so Imagine you saw him around. Stories?

I don't look back to see if anyone saw me on a wave, but I do look back because I like seeing that residual rippling/shimmering where my turns sprayed out the back of the wave. It's kind of like seeing applause.