The US is not the good guys

Lance Mannion

Duke status
Mar 7, 2009
In Gods Country
Nothing wrong with questioning government policies. If you were 15 years older what would you have done when you got your Greetings letter from Uncle Sam in 1968?
A while back I used to run into this dude while running in the neighborhood who'd been drafted (Army).

He was stoked to get orders to Korea, and more importantly, not wind up in the $hit in Viet Nam.

He wound up patrolling the "DMZ" where the N Korean's were taking pot-shots at him almost daily!

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Never? Of course there is a line you don't let him cross. On the flip side, involving ourselves militarily and financially backing Ukraine is pure foolishness that only puts America at risk. For what? That tiny regional conflict is none of our business and we ought to stay out of it.
In your opinion, where is that line? What does he have to do for you to say the US should intervene indirectly with aid?

How about China? Should we let them run roughshod all over Asia and the Pacific?

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
Despite whatever @mundus led you to believe, I am not a particularly religious person.
Fine, so are you a person that has morals or principles that guide your thoughts actions?
And how do those morals support some human lives being worth your sacrifice while others are not, based on the imaginary lines they’re born within?

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Fine, so are you a person that has morals or principles that guide your thoughts actions?
And how do those morals support some human lives being worth your sacrifice while others are not, based on the imaginary lines they’re born within?
You sure ask a lot of questions for someone not willing to answer one. What’s up with that?

Lance Mannion

Duke status
Mar 7, 2009
In Gods Country
Back to people getting nuked, and why they found themselves that position:

"During the Sino-Japanese War, Nanking, the capital of China, falls to Japanese forces, and the Chinese government flees to Hankow, further inland along the Yangtze River.

To break the spirit of Chinese resistance, Japanese General Matsui Iwane ordered that the city of Nanking be destroyed. Much of the city was burned, and Japanese troops launched a campaign of atrocities against civilians. In what became known as the “Rape of Nanking,” the Japanese butchered an estimated 150,000 male “war prisoners,” massacred an additional 50,000 male civilians, and raped at least 20,000 women and girls of all ages, many of whom were mutilated or killed in the process."

GromsDad

Duke status
Jan 21, 2014
West of the Atlantic. East of the ICW.
In your opinion, where is that line? What does he have to do for you to say the US should intervene indirectly with aid?
I'm all for humanitarian aid......within reason. Where we cross the line is funding wars like Ukraine such that it is our war machine fighting Russia except the soldiers are Ukrainian. Proxy war. At that point you could arguably be considered an active participant and the adversary may choose to strike back at us for sticking our nose where it doesn't belong.

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
You sure ask a lot of questions for someone not willing to answer one. What’s up with that?
I missed part of your question
As far as what I would’ve done if id been drafted into vietnam, being the rules follower I generally am, I probably would have done what I was told
it’s impossible to know how I would have acted or thought, but my best guess is while I would kill as directed, it wouldn’t sit well with me
And I have no idea how difficult it would have been for me to reconcile my actions with my beliefs, and what the mental or physical aftermath would have been
I’m thankful that wasn’t my lot in life, and have sympathy or empathy for anyone who lived it and it wasn’t hypothetical

Reactions: santacruzin

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I'm all for humanitarian aid......within reason. Where we cross the line is funding wars like Ukraine such that it is our war machine fighting Russia except the soldiers are Ukrainian. Proxy war. At that point you could arguably be considered an active participant and the adversary may choose to strike back at us for sticking our nose where it doesn't belong.
I didn’t ask and you weren’t talking about a line we cross. You said there is a line we don’t let him (Putin) cross. What does Putin have to do, in your opinion, that would justify US lethal foreign aid?

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
I missed part of your question
As far as what I would’ve done if id been drafted into vietnam, being the rules follower I generally am, I probably would have done what I was told
it’s impossible to know how I would have acted or thought, but my best guess is while I would kill as directed, it wouldn’t sit well with me
And I have no idea how difficult it would have been for me to reconcile my actions with my beliefs, and what the mental or physical aftermath would have been
I’m thankful that wasn’t my lot in life, and have sympathy or empathy for anyone who lived it and it wasn’t hypothetical
Thanks for responding. I’m also thankful that it wasn’t my lot in life and it was close for me.

Times have changed plenty since then and it isn’t difficult for me to understand grom’s point of view.

The Cold War lives on. Ask your kids what they think.

Reactions: Ifallalot

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
America has babies of all skin and eye colors. I don't want any of ours dying because we couldn't mind our own business in matters on the other side of the globe. Same goes for Ukraine.
you said we should carpet bomb afghanistan

you also said israel should “finish the job”

Random Guy

Duke status
Jan 16, 2002
To answer gromsdads question about what part of America first do I not get, I guess most of it
Just as I do t believe the Jews are the chosen people, neither do I believe the Americans are

Reactions: hal9000

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
you said we should carpet bomb afghanistan

you also said israel should “finish the job”
He is ignoring you.

If you want to win a war he’s right. If you want to endlessly argue about it you’ll have to find a different target.

hal9000

Duke status
Jan 30, 2016
Urbana, Illinois
To answer gromsdads question about what part of America first do I not get, I guess most of it
Just as I do t believe the Jews are the chosen people, neither do I believe the Americans are
i don’t understand the concept of any group who thinks they’re “chosen” or “special”

it’s tantamount to saying “we are better than you” or “we are the supreme race or nation”