The takeback of Hawaiian lands?

HarryLopez

Phil Edwards status
Jan 17, 2007
Neck deep
It's just a word. Nobody freaks out when somebody says, "hey you know that black dude Steve you work with?" or at least they shouldn't. Nobody should freak out about someone saying "Tom the haole guy who lives on the corner."

Now if you add the word "f_cking" as a prefix to either of those words, it's different. And it invokes more of Hawaii's racist, colonial, imperial past. A past where haoles ran everything big and did everything they could to stoke racial animosity because it made the workers less likely to strike. That's the context. racer1 already told you the etymology of the Hawaiian word. So given that it is just weird and ironic that a white guy who doesn't even live in Hawaii would get so eggy about it. But I have noticed that - some haoles HATE the idea that there is a word for them, a word that could possibly, maybe, even a little bit be used as a pejorative. Meanwhile they got ten stink words for everybody and never think twice about it.

Haole is not the n-word.
Being a haole, and called all different types of haole many, many, many, many times in social and professional settings, gave me an understanding about the use of the word. Nothing to get that worked up about. Especially when being called a name over the internet :ROFLMAO:

I teach my first graders to use IP, 'Ignore Power'! when called a name. Ignore, walk away, and go play with someone else you like if you no can handle!

Reactions: npsp and grapedrink

everysurfer

Phil Edwards status
Sep 9, 2013
Santa Barbara County
Being a haole, and called all different types of haole many, many, many, many times in social and professional settings, gave me an understanding about the use of the word. Nothing to get that worked up about. Especially when being called a name over the internet :ROFLMAO:

I teach my first graders to use IP, 'Ignore Power'! when called a name. Ignore, walk away, and go play with someone else you like if you no can handle!
I'm currently of the mindset that now is the time to stop racism. If not at a time like this, then when will it end.

Evil Prevails When Good Men Fail To Act.

Aren't u a teacher? What a fine teachable moment itg was

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W

I teach middle school in an area of LA with gangs. Telling kids to ignore people who call them names doesn't work so well in this context.

Also, I think racist attitudes are learned more at home than in school. We do our best to be inclusive and are mandated to be politically correct. Say something racist as a teacher and for sure some kid is going to go home and tell their parents and then you'll probably hear about it from an administrator. I made the mistake early in my career of asking a kid if he'd ever been tested for ADHD and got an earful from admin.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: HarryLopez

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
This current Awakening is doomed to failure because it's big on passion and small on systematic, logical reform and the will to put in the hard work to effect meaningful positive change.

I get it.

It's more fun to yell at white people and wreck sh!t.

All these people protesting should be asserting their will at the ballot box.

Why are they not going after the low hanging fruit?

This seems like a lot of sound and fury.

Which is good for a trump reelection.

A lots of this protesting is not so much about reform as it is a power/resource grab.

Last edited:

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
theres gotta be people in favor of this movement whio have no hawaiian in em

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
I made the mistake early in my career of asking a kid if he'd ever been tested for ADHD and got an earful from admin.
I had a student, keep telling me she needed accommodation because she had ADHD.

She would come to class late every day.

So one day she does her ADHD story in class and I say, "It's not a handicap. It's your super power. I have ADHA too and I use it to my advantage. Stop using it as an excuse."

She freaks out and says, "I don't appreciate you talking about about my disability in class! I need to talk to you in your office!"

So she gets in to my office and starts talking about privacy issues.

I fired back, "Hey, if you don't want me to talk about your ADHD in class, maybe don't bring it up every in class?"

She's like, "Oh. Yeah, good point."

But the willingness to engage with her teacher and assert dominance was off the hook.

It's weird how some people naturally play the victim to assert.

Jonahbrah

Nep status
Sep 20, 2019
BMore
Interesting insty account. Hope this gains steam.

http://instagr.am/p/CBJ_1Dcjf3v/
It's called imperialism. The strongest survive. Tribes conquered and warred against one another long before the white man got involved. They'll do the same when the white man pulls back.

Utopian egalitarianism is a pipe dream pushed by new age hippie surfers that have no idea what lawlessness is. Their property rights and bounderies mean jack sh@t to a bonified psychopath. And psychopaths are the ones who thrive in a lawless society.

The racism currently being pushed now will probably lead to a mass culling of all the whitey culture vultures, and I'm sure a native Hawaiian renaissance will directly follow...:coffee:

Will we see a similiar event to what we saw in Rwanda a couple decades ago??? Decades of repressed rage and victimhood unleashed!!

Last edited:

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
ive heard one of the outer islands is all primative and no modern stuff allowed
if this is true couldnt these people who want the old ways move there?

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: manbearpig

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
I had a student, keep telling me she needed accommodation because she had ADHD.

She would come to class late every day.

So one day she does her ADHD story in class and I say, "It's not a handicap. It's your super power. I have ADHA too and I use it to my advantage. Stop using it as an excuse."

She freaks out and says, "I don't appreciate you talking about about my disability in class! I need to talk to you in your office!"

So she gets in to my office and starts talking about privacy issues.

I fired back, "Hey, if you don't want me to talk about your ADHD in class, maybe don't bring it up every in class?"

She's like, "Oh. Yeah, good point."

But the willingness to engage with her teacher and assert dominance was off the hook.

It's weird how some people naturally play the victim to assert.
Have you had students with O.D.D.? I was having problems with a kid and called the parent and she explained to me he had O.D.D.- oppositional defiant disorder. So his IEP said we had to accommodate his defiance.

• Haha
Reactions: grapedrink

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Have you had students with O.D.D.? I was having problems with a kid and called the parent and she explained to me he had O.D.D.- oppositional defiant disorder. So his IEP said we had to accommodate his defiance.
Can you even accommodate ODD without enabling it and making it worse? Sounds like a catch 22. I'm sure Autoprax has some dank pro tips.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
No. Not like k-12.

I have some assholes to deal with but they don't have to be there so I tell them if they don't like the class, to fuck off.

But my sisters both teach at an elementary school and they are dealing with this.

My sister the principal had kids kicking and hitting her and she is not supposed to touch them.

I always say to my students, "I would never hit a student . . . unless you hit me first and then it's on mother fuckers!" :ROFLMAO:

It's the idea of equity that will destroy public ed.

When kid fucks up, he or she, or the parents, has no skin in the game.

The admins and the parents say, "What did you do wrong to cause the kid to fuck up?"

It's sheer madness.

I'm glad I am at the end of my career. I had a great run. I got to do something I was good at. I help a ton of people be better people. But it's crazy town now. Maybe the new young teachers won't notice the change? Their youth gives them the power to endure. There is much to be said for the youthful exuberance of a new teacher.

All my bosses are younger than I am and have less experience teaching. That is weird.

I can't believe I get a nice state worker retirement. That is something I didn't plan on.

I had thought I was going to have to kill myself after I retired.

I'm just trying to keep my head down and squeeze 4-6 more years of work in and move on.

Last edited:

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
It's called imperialism. The strongest survive. Tribes conquered and warred against one another long before the white man got involved. They'll do the same when the white man pulls back.

Utopian egalitarianism is a pipe dream pushed by new age hippie surfers that have no idea what lawlessness is. Their property rights and bounderies mean jack sh@t to a bonified psychopath. And psychopaths are the ones who thrive in a lawless society.

The racism currently being pushed now will probably lead to a mass culling of all the whitey culture vultures, and I'm sure a native Hawaiian renaissance will directly follow...:coffee:

Will we see a similiar event to what we saw in Rwanda a couple decades ago??? Decades of repressed rage and victimhood unleashed!!
Not enough non whites to go Africa style.

Actually, pyscopaths thrive in orderly societies that value individualism. They count on everyone else being fair minded.

In a lawless society the tribe kills the psychopath.

Reactions: Mr Doof

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
You can joke all you want, but the Marquesans were on islands first. Not the Tahitians, what we call Hawaiians now.

I am aware of this.

Various groups of humans have been expanding and contracting in their range ever since mom and dad's ancestors got kicked off Mars/Venus/out of Eden/evolved up from the Engineer's DNA at an Icelandic waterfall. Some groups get overrun by the next expansion wave, some contract on their own, some mingle and forge new identity, etc.

I like to think everyone knows this hence my lame attempt at a little levity.

Now to digress, it seems curious to me that there a more than a few stories in various parts of the world about "magical" people who lived/acted in mysterious ways that did things that "modern" inhabitants didn't understand. Over time, mythology develops, fact becomes fiction, but memory of sorts is preserved. Though I have zero proof, part of me thinks these stories are a way of knowing that there were people here before (the current population killed them off/chased them off/ruined their way of life such that they died off). Sure, making a myth out of earlier people could be used to denigrate their existence (thus making it easier to live with any atrocities), but the other side of that coin, is shared memory/recognition that today's humans stand on the shoulders (and broken bones) of those who went before. Reconciling the yin and yang of past, present, and future, is tough work, so again, tiny bit of humor, and occasional delicious fermented malt beverage, seemed to be called for.

PS
Sorry Mrs. McGrevey for ending that last sentence with a proposition.

noone999

OTF status
Sep 13, 2012
HI
I am aware of this.

Various groups of humans have been expanding and contracting in their range ever since mom and dad's ancestors got kicked off Mars/Venus/out of Eden/evolved up from the Engineer's DNA at an Icelandic waterfall. Some groups get overrun by the next expansion wave, some contract on their own, some mingle and forge new identity, etc.

I like to think everyone knows this hence my lame attempt at a little levity.

Now to digress, it seems curious to me that there a more than a few stories in various parts of the world about "magical" people who lived/acted in mysterious ways that did things that "modern" inhabitants didn't understand. Over time, mythology develops, fact becomes fiction, but memory of sorts is preserved. Though I have zero proof, part of me thinks these stories are a way of knowing that there were people here before (the current population killed them off/chased them off/ruined their way of life such that they died off). Sure, making a myth out of earlier people could be used to denigrate their existence (thus making it easier to live with any atrocities), but the other side of that coin, is shared memory/recognition that today's humans stand on the shoulders (and broken bones) of those who went before. Reconciling the yin and yang of past, present, and future, is tough work, so again, tiny bit of humor, and occasional delicious fermented malt beverage, seemed to be called for.

PS
Sorry Mrs. McGrevey for ending that last sentence with a proposition.
Not everyone knows this. I doubt most Hawaiians know this. The way many of them talk about how how the Americans took over "their" islands, yet they never say anything about how they took it from someone else. (and how they had a society with slaves, for that matter!) I am not against Hawaiians at all, but I feel like they make old Hawaiian society to be this magical Utopia that it wasn't.