The takeback of Hawaiian lands?

Clayster

Miki Dora status
Oct 26, 2005
I'm reading Kon Tiki right now

as far as human accomplishments go, I think the polynesians are
pretty hard to beat

Dude. I read Kon Tiki fifty years ago, or close thereto. It was a must read at the time. Still is.

jamesgang

Miki Dora status
Aug 9, 2006
Location Location
Unfortunately yes. Colonialism sucks. If it weren’t the US, it would’ve been Japan, China, or some other world power. Which is NOT an excuse for what Hawaiians have experienced, so let me be very clear about that. The geographic aspects that make Hawaii so amazing are also it’s biggest enemy.
This is a commonlyh
Wow. A pedant with bunched up panties just millenialed you into boring the shlt out me.

What do you call a native Hawaiian? Same thing you call a native Californian. A liar who's ancestors came from somewhere else!

(Humans came from Africa and spread out. End of story. Stop the nonsense.)
I assume you would offer the same ho-hum shrug if the Chinese came knocking looking to be the bosses. "Oh well, everyone's been ruled by somebody. Maybe this will be fun!"

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
This is a commonlyh
Please expand- I think you meant to say myth? I don't see how nearly every other patch of sand in the Pacific has had the flag of another country planted on it, so if it weren't for the US, why it would not have been another? Especially a chain of islands that is in the middle of the 2 most powerful continents in the world.

the janitor

Tom Curren status
Mar 28, 2003
north of the bridge
Close. Neither were my threads. But every time somebody starts another bullshit thread, like this one where some dumbass thinks he's going to start some insurrection, or like the last one, where Onula says, " fűcken Haole", I'll be right back at it.
I haven't looked, but am assuming you are going hard in the paint on the autonomous zone in Seattle too?

the janitor

Tom Curren status
Mar 28, 2003
north of the bridge
First to answer what am I. Ignorant, troublemaker or boto. How about enlightened?

Maybe you just don't know your own culture, full of localism and prejudice. Your post about "fücking haoles" on another thread is what got me started. Other Hawaiians stories of beating up white classmates. I didn't go to school there, so how do I know these stories about "kill a haole day"? You guys told me! You revel in thinking that you are more entitled because of the color of your skin.

I'm repeating, I know these stories because you guys told me.

So here a thread starts about some Hawaiian who wants to take back Hawaii. That's some ignorant bullshit right there. What, you want a civil war? What's the difference between that guy and some southern cracker who wants to rehash the civil war, and fly a losing flag.

You just said, "In a weird way. the complaints all the MAGAs support about those coming from the south and IP theft from china
is the same complaints we here feel about tourists
think about that one."

Yea, I think about it. I think the MAGA hat wearers are stupid. What's your point?

You bitch about today's tourists. Then don't fücking do business with them. Where did we see that before? Oh yea, in the Jim Crow south. Segregated lunch counters. White only water fountains. And you want Hawaiian only surf spots. Hawaiian only islands. Do you have any idea how small minded you are?

Our world is a gift to all of us. Where were you when the world was made? Where were you when the water separated from the land. Did you set the sun in the sky? Who are you to say a place is set aside for people by skin color?
what's your take on Native American culture and reservations?

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
Hawaii is a major strategic location.

Would some other world power forcibly take Hawaii if America wasn't here? There's no way to legitimately answer that question.

It could have remained fully independent with treaties (unlikely). It may have become a puppet state where some world power was really the defacto government. Doesn't really matter at this point since the U.S. is not leaving as long as the country exists.

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
I am Hawaiian but I also love being American. Easiest country to make good money and have all the freedoms you could need. If the military wasn't here, I wouldn't exist (dad came through on the way to Korea and moved here after Vietnam). My family benefitted tremendously from the military (retirement, annuities, commissary, health insurance, etc).

How things went down does evoke anger but at the same time it could have been worse and it would have been another country. As my Uncle Kazu says, "eh, at least we never had genocide, ah?"

Waiehu

Legend (inyourownmind)
Apr 1, 2009
The subject of the annexation of Hawaii by the United States actually was considered years prior to the actual annexation. Kamehameha III, in 1854 entered into negotiations with representatives of the United States which resulted in a draft of treaty of annexation being drawn up. Based on his writings, the King strongly favored annexation.

Just a fun fact I like to present my Portuguese friends with. In 1893, the Annexation Club (a main factor in the "overthrow") included 1,218 Americans (22 % of the club), 1,022 Native Hawaiian (19%), 251 Englishman (5%), 2,261 Portuguese (41%), 69 Norwegian (1%), 351 Germans (6%), with 328 persons "unclassified". The Portuguese, not the Americans, were the largest group wanting overthrow and annexation. When I tell my Portuguese friends that they had more responsibility then the United States in the resulting history, so it is primarily their fault, it really sets them off

Last edited:

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009
pretty much everything i know about Hawaii comes from Michener's Hawaii. to any Hawaiian who has read it, is it an accurate take?

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
Dude. I read Kon Tiki fifty years ago, or close thereto. It was a must read at the time. Still is.
I love the dry wit of the nords

it's a super fun read

there is this article that I read and have been unable to find after the fact
(maybe from outdoor magazine) that talked about the art of navigating
by way of the wave patterns....they figured out how to identify where land
was over tremendous distances based on the way that the waves wrapped,
distorted, and radiated back out across the sea....very nuanced and complex.

of course, this in addition to celestial navigation which is incredibly advanced
in and unto itself.

then consider the efficiency and effectiveness of the sailing outrigger....the
recognition of the need for genetic variation....the social structures that
they developed....the economies.

also, surfing!

everysurfer

Phil Edwards status
Sep 9, 2013
Santa Barbara County
Umm no . As usual you kinda of missed the point.
Grandkids inherit house. Sell on open market for $ 709,990. Local couple scrape up life savings and borrow an amount barely tenable based on local wages. Thendone guvktard from North Dakota who spends 20 hours of his life coding, is still a virgin and spends zero if his wages with local businesses swoops in and offers $200,000.00 above asking price.
He saw an Instagram post by a similar loser about how cool surfing was and decided he’s tired of being a virgin without friends.
Santa Cruz in a nutshell.
Uhm yes. I do this for a living.

And even in the rare circumstances that the heirs sell out, why do you want to fück them out of their rightful inheritance?

You sound a bit bitter you couldn't take what was yours.

I made my first capital gain by buying some dirt, building a house, working every weekend for 15 years improving it so I could sell it. Now you want to steal 15 years of hard labor from me? Maybe a few less beers, nachos and football games, and you could have that beautiful house, with a beautiful wife, and you may ask yourself, how did I get here? Water flowing under....

Reactions: PJ

everysurfer

Phil Edwards status
Sep 9, 2013
Santa Barbara County
what's your take on Native American culture and reservations?
Natives got fücked. U.S. govt should go back and honor every treaty they signed.

Why do you think that just because I'm offended by racist insults of any kind, that I would not realize injustice.

See, I would never argue with a Hawaiian who said his people got their land stolen at the point of a bayonet. I'd have no problem if they sued and won billions from the plantation owners.
My only problem is being told I have no soul, by someone I've never met, because of the color of my skin.

Don't let dogma get in the way of clear thinking.

Last edited:

everysurfer

Phil Edwards status
Sep 9, 2013
Santa Barbara County
No one has a soul. Souls aren't a real thing. Don't let it bother you so much.
Your soul is your dignity, and your honor and your life's essence. No man has the right to say another man doesn't have one.

If you think there is no soul, then go tell the Hawaiians that Pele is dead and Mauna Loa should be covered in condos.

PPK96754

Miki Dora status
Apr 15, 2015
Kauai's north shore ~
pretty much everything i know about Hawaii comes from Michener's Hawaii. to any Hawaiian who has read it, is it an accurate take?
Yup! The (international sailors, not only haole's) wanted nookie and booze after there arduous crossing around The Horn. Tired and sunburnt, they were quarantined aboard there ships by the "local" humanitarian Caucausian contingent of Christian's who came to save the heathens of the Pacific. So now it was Portuguese, Spanish, Caucasoids, Dutch whatever sailors against the white christians. Coming ashore the sailors battled the local white & brown police officers, the white shop owners, and the white christians. And in the evening, they stormed the white christian church, trying to burn it to the ground after fueling themselves with the local grog made by the white owner of the local grog shop. And the local brownies, in an attempt to save the white christian church availed themselves, hurling upon the thatched roof trying to beat the flames down to save the white christian church ~ ✌
(Michener was long winded, descriptive)
Billy Mitchill, facing, holding the pole, Mervin Young, (HFD-retired) facing Billy.
PPK, top rt corner, about to fall through the thatched roof, onto foam pads)
1966. Makua Beach, West side of Oahu

Last edited: