The Ranch to get public access?

perfect_wave

OTF status
Dec 5, 2002
First, let me just say that the Ranch is sacred land. It's been sacred for the Native American Chumash Indians, not sacred because it has a bunch of surf spots. I'd rather that land be untouched, period.

The Ranch owners are a mixed bunch, but a lot of them are fk-heads. I'm not surprised this is happening. They've generated a lot of bad karma. This I have no doubt about. If you've ever met or dealt with some of the ranch owners in or out of the water, you know exactly what I'm talking about. If they had just been slightly more flexible, there wouldn't have been so much anger and animosity driving these public access rulings (i.e. they would've had more people on their side). They even managed to irritate enough people in power that this bill was expedited through this time.

It's fine if the ranch owners want to protect their property rights, but don't give me that self righteous moral crap about preserving the sanctity of the Hollister Ranch. The true stewards of the land are the Chumash Indians.

Last edited:

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
The whole idea of the ranch being this private beach playground for a relatively few wealthy landowners has always struck me as quite screwed up but I'm coming from a place where coastal access is guaranteed by law.

If the argument is that the unwashed masses will wreck the pristine nature (which is probably true) then fine, make it a nature reserve and ban all humans regardless of supposed "steward" status. I don't know if there is a better example of wanting to have your cake and eat it too.

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016
The whole idea of the ranch being this private beach playground for a relatively few wealthy landowners has always struck me as quite screwed up but I'm coming from a place where coastal access is guaranteed by law.

If the argument is that the unwashed masses will wreck the pristine nature (which is probably true) then fine, make it a nature reserve and ban all humans regardless of supposed "steward" status. I don't know if there is a better example of wanting to have your cake and eat it too.
Not everyone with property up their is rich (but many are).

The beach, ocean, surf spots are (always have been) open to the public.

The land up to the high tide line is private property. Access to the beach is not what is going on here. Easements through private property (by force) is what’s happening.

Let’s say you live close to a surf spot. Would you be ok if you were forced allow strangers to park in your driveway the use the beach?

Would you buy the argument that because these people who are forcing their way into your driveway don’t have as much money as you so live 10 miles inland they should be allowed to use your driveway because otherwise they “don’t have access”?

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Not everyone with property up their is rich (but many are).

The beach, ocean, surf spots are (always have been) open to the public.

The land up to the high tide line is private property. Access to the beach is not what is going on here. Easements through private property (by force) is what’s happening.

Let’s say you live close to a surf spot. Would you be ok if you were forced allow strangers to park in your driveway the use the beach?

Would you buy the argument that because these people who are forcing their way into your driveway don’t have as much money as you so live 10 miles inland they should be allowed to use your driveway because otherwise they “don’t have access”?
I don’t think driveway is the correct word.

How many property owners are permanent residents? What percentage?

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016

Don’t know.

The “road” going into the ranch is a private road. It’s a driveway. It’s a bigger, longer driveway than the one I have but it’s still private property.

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
Don’t know.

The “road” going into the ranch is a private road. It’s a driveway. It’s a bigger, longer driveway than the one I have but it’s still private property.
I live on a private road.

46561528-040B-47E9-9AD6-4FF8A6D6B37F.jpeg

This is my driveway.

8A1794B7-1227-4F87-AA3B-53F5E6F8665E.jpeg

I see a difference.

Reactions: scooch

everysurfer

Phil Edwards status
Sep 9, 2013
Santa Barbara County
I'm totally fine with using their driveway, and so are you.

That interstate highway you drive on was someone else's farmland or one time.

The water you drink comes through pipes that go through someone else's property.

The poo you flush goes in pipes that was someone else's property, to a sanitation plant that was someone else's property.

Nobody is taking anything from the ranch owners. The roads are already there.

In fact, it is the ranch owners that are blocking me from my beach. It is the ranch owners that vandalize the Gaviota pier.

It is the Ranch owners who do physically attack people walking on their own public beach, and surf in their own public ocean.

If the Ranch owners policed their own troublemakers, and didn't block me from walking on my wet sand, and accost me from anchoring my boat in my ocean to surf my waves, this would never have happened.

Fvck the Ranch owners. They started the fight, and did it to themselves.

CJSB

Nep status
Apr 8, 2009
Santa Barbara

The water you drink comes through pipes that go through someone else's property.

The poo you flush goes in pipes that was someone else's property, to a sanitation plant that was someone else's property.

In fact, it is the ranch owners that are blocking me from my beach. It is the ranch owners that vandalize the Gaviota pier.

It is the Ranch owners who do physically attack people walking on their own public beach, and surf in their own public ocean.

If the Ranch owners policed their own troublemakers, and didn't block me from walking on my wet sand, and accost me from anchoring my boat in my ocean to surf my waves, this would never have happened.

lol, thanks for the laugh. You should write for the LA Times.

Reactions: casa_mugrienta

everysurfer

Phil Edwards status
Sep 9, 2013
Santa Barbara County
Why don't you call me a souther next? That's a good comeback as well.

Then you can tell me how your grandpappy was an avacado farmer and bought his land direct from the chumash, and you've lived here for generations

JBerry

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 8, 2017
It'd be nice to hear from someone who actually OWNS prop on the Ranch. Let's really hear what they have to say?
Any errb member an owner up there? Lets hear what you think?

Too little too late it seems.

What leg does an owner actually have an argument with keeping people out?

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
I have no vested interest in either side of the argument. But, it seems the Ranch owners brought this on themselves and pissed enough people off that the government took action. Perhaps playing nice with others might have been a better approach.

surfysurfy1476

Nep status
Jan 27, 2018

No one has been attacked on the beach in 20+ years if ever. In fact, the only fights on the beach to ever take place were between owners. No one has been attacked for anchoring a boat ever. No one has ever been blocked from walking in or attacked for it. the hoist has been fucked with 20+ years ago I will give you that. Stop living in the past. If you actually surfed the ranch you would know its been super mellow since the 00s.

I have no vested interest in either side of the argument. But, it seems the Ranch owners brought this on themselves and pissed enough people off that the government took action. Perhaps playing nice with others might have been a better approach.
The ranch owners being mean has absolutely nothing to do with this. The govt "took action" because the hroa allowed it to be in the legal work when they began to allow development decades ago as well as the whole YMCA thing.

Conner Coffin posted something on instagram blaming it on the white race.

I sh!t you not.
Link?

Reactions: casa_mugrienta

rice

Duke status
Jul 2, 2002
CA

I think that is LOW. With Jalama, and the no parking on the road near Cracks, there's only so many parking spaces in the park. That fills up in the summer and people wait; one car out, one car in. Maybe it could be the same way at the Ranch. I mean, you can't park on the highway. Maybe the access could be hike/bike only, as well...?

The HR guys all rush up to BR on the beach on their E-bikes with trailers for south swells, anyway.....

Old owners hate the new owners, owners hate the boaters. Now they can all hate the Day Use'ers.

RemyXO

Michael Peterson status
Mar 12, 2003
San Luis Obispo
The State's going to eff this up. Although, I would be happy with just pedestrian access. Meaning, low impact trails along the blufftop, linking to the beaches and points up the coast. I'm not even sure how feasible that would be with all the topography, cliffs, arroyos, train tracks, existing roads, parcels, etc. I just hope its not a series of parking lots with restrooms, stairs, grading, erosion, etc.