The Official Wine Thread!

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
For turkey and ham, lighter reds with low tannins and good acidity. Beaujolais, Bardolino, Burgundy, Barbera, cabernet franc (Loire Valley, FR), some CA pinot noirs, certain Chianti Classicos (no new oak), certain skin contact whites (Italy, France, Austria), but not "orange wine," German pinot noirs, Washington red blends, Oregon pinot noir, certain Etna rosso, fresher style nebbiolo.

With beef, heavier reds: Bordeaux, Barolo, Barbaresco, Valpolicella Ripasso, Taurasi/Aglianico del Vulture, certain Etna rossos.
2 years ago I did a Tandoori turkey for Thanksgiving and recommendation was a Cabernet Syrah blend. This was LXV wine from Paso Robles. Their theory is spices bring out the best features/tastes in wine. Additional spices/herbs were mint and rosemary. I made a fruit chutney with mint for the Naan and a hint of rosemary in the parmesan garlic mashed potatoes. Easily the best Thanksgiving dinner I have ever made.

Reactions: enframed

JBerry

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 8, 2017
Whatever you drink don’t start with fireball then switch to red wine....
:foreheadslap:

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
My contribution
Dedicated to my hermano OT. This was done about the same time as my experience with the grape started. Red Mountain. In the handy gallon size. It didn’t work out.

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
SC mtns is bomb. Wish I had a stash of Ridge montebello.
The 2010 Fogarty was absolutely stunning, probably had a minimum 15 years life. It was fresh as f\/ck. I'm not a huge fan of Ridge, prefer French oak.

Also had this, which was fun. It was just OK, not bad in any way, just short in the mouth. Been curious forever.

20201114_190636.jpg

Last edited:

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Domaine Gigou Jasnieres Clos Saint Jacques 2000. Look at that color. Fucking look at it!

Honeyed apples, pears, and lemon starting to fade, but being replaced by petrol/minerality and brambly underbrush, herbs, maybe smoked honey. Acidity is off the charts insane. Jasnieres is one of those regions of white wine that ages incredibly well. It's the northern-most, smallest, and coldest appellation in the Loire Valley. Whites are 100% chenin blanc.

Fellow Traveler, a new wine bar on La Cienega and Melrose in West Hollywood, has 'em for $27. Yeah you read that right, $27 for a 2000 vintage in good VG condition.
20201120_185145.jpg

Paired it spaghetti alla carbonara.

Reactions: grapedrink and gbg

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
Domaine Gigou Jasnieres Clos Saint Jacques 2000. Look at that color. Fucking look at it!

Honeyed apples, pears, and lemon starting to fade, but being replaced by petrol/minerality and brambly underbrush, herbs, maybe smoked honey. Acidity is off the charts insane. Jasnieres is one of those regions of white wine that ages incredibly well. It's the northern-most, smallest, and coldest appellation in the Loire Valley. Whites are 100% chenin blanc.

Fellow Traveler, a new wine bar on La Cienega and Melrose in West Hollywood, has 'em for $27. Yeah you read that right, $27 for a 2000 vintage in good VG condition.
View attachment 101215

Paired it spaghetti alla carbonara.

How'd it hold up to bacon fat?

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
I've really cut back on wine.

Tito's Vodka and club soda with lime is my drink of choice mostly now. Fraction of the cost of most of our wine. Started this summer when it was so hot. Refreshing and it holds up better with spicy stuff.
I sleep better when I don't drink wine. No sugar.

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
raffault_1989.jpg

Got this at Soif in Santa Cruz maybe 5 years ago. I think I paid $65. Olga Raffault Chinon 1989. 100% cabernet franc (as most Chinons are). Beautiful, still reductive after all these years. Bright fruit, some rubbery notes (brett maybe), so elegant, good amount of sediment. Went great with Anthony Bourdain's meatloaf recipe, and an arugula, radish, and bacon salad.

Is there a meatloaf thread? Every BB should have one....