The Official Wine Thread!

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
View attachment 101421

Got this at Soif in Santa Cruz maybe 5 years ago. I think I paid $65. Olga Raffault Chinon 1989. 100% cabernet franc (as most Chinons are). Beautiful, still reductive after all these years. Bright fruit, some rubbery notes (brett maybe), so elegant, good amount of sediment. Went great with Anthony Bourdain's meatloaf recipe, and an arugula, radish, and bacon salad.

Is there a meatloaf thread? Every BB should have one....
Probably tastes like you are drinking from a mug hollowed out from a brick.

Would bang, but would not pay.

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
Probably tastes like you are drinking from a mug hollowed out from a brick.

Would bang, but would not pay.
No! The fruit was fresh, I swear. I hate cooked fruit aromas in wine, HATE them. This was fresh fruit, really, very little oxidation, look at the color, also graphite/rubber. Remember, back then cork was harvested when trees were mature enough.

Last edited:
Reactions: grapedrink

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
It's sad but some of the best wine producing land on the planet earth right now is being used for Cannabis. That's where the money is.

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
Hit DVV last weekend. New Verdelho and Agliaico. Very good. We should do an erBB meetup there.

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Curious about the aglianico, it's one of my favorite red Italian grapes. Bottle says California appellation. Do you know where the fruit was sourced? Winemaking? Oak? Size, origin, how long?

Last edited:

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
Was given this today and they said to open it on a special occasion. I got home and declared tonight a special occasion. Haven't had any wine in about 2 weeks and this juice is bomb.

wine.jpg

Reactions: gbg and grapedrink

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
Curious about the aglianico, it's one of my favorite red Italian grapes. Bottle says California appellation. Do you know where the fruit was sourced? Winemaking? Oak? Size, origin, how long?
I don't know all the details but will ask next time I'm there. It is 14.9% and from Temecula Valley AVA. Very big wine. DVV grows Cab, Cab Franc, and 2 other varietals. The rest they source from Dulzura, Temecula and other places. Their Montepulciano is incredible. Also from Temecula.

Gianni Buonomo in OBSD has an excellent Aglianico and so does Westfall Winery out in Campo.

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
Merlot. 1/2 bottle last night. Maybe the other 1/2 tonight or manana.

Reactions: gbg

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
I don't know all the details but will ask next time I'm there. It is 14.9% and from Temecula Valley AVA. Very big wine. DVV grows Cab, Cab Franc, and 2 other varietals. The rest they source from Dulzura, Temecula and other places. Their Montepulciano is incredible. Also from Temecula.

Gianni Buonomo in OBSD has an excellent Aglianico and so does Westfall Winery out in Campo.
Interesting. I tried wines form Temecula once. I was not impressed. I was bartending that night in Los Gatos and a couple came to the bar, I was closing that night. Turns out they made wine in Temecula, so I asked if they had a sample they could leave with me, and they did. The ABV was way too high and I could feel it, it was over 15% and noticeable, of which I am not a fan. I can't recall the winery. Necessary irrigation probably has something to do with it. Do you know if DVV irrigates?

Aglianico can handle high ABV, genetically, but it has to be very skillfully made to be elegant.

Reactions: Leaverite