The Official OBSF Support Group

Woke AF

Tom Curren status
Jul 29, 2009
Southern Tip, Norcal
I think generally OB is more bark than bite. More people should paddle out. If you make it out, you deserve to be out there. OB won't let you out more often than not if you're not up to snuff. My only comment is to make sure you're using the right equipment. Especially a good strong leash.

I thought OB was as heavy as it got until I surfer Puerto and Pasquales.
And why should they paddle out if they won't take-off? On any given day 1/2 of those in the water are just in the way and when it gets consequential that % goes up substantially. But you suggest more people should paddle out, so they can say blah blah blah to their Bro's and wives.
This year has been the worst crowds I have ever seen here. More surf days than not it actually looks like Huntington if you look up the beach, the numbers are uncountable.
But you wish more people would paddle out, jesus fcking christ. I know we are in the end times of uncrowded surf but you really need to be a claiming kook about it.

JBerry

Billy Hamilton status
Dec 8, 2017
Waves looked fun!:drowning:

However, it's those types of vids, and those types of crowds, that will just keep increasing as time goes on.:bricks:
On days like those, may as well be any good beachbreak, donk city, get the heck outta the way, lol!
Fortunately as OB gets bigger, it takes care of those crowds...

Lohena

OTF status
Oct 30, 2019
So let's hear about what type of boards people like specifically for the challenges of OBSF. I'm not talking about guns for the big days, grovelers for the tiny days, or hpsbs for the rare clean and easy ones. Rather, what designs seem to work well for the typical 4–10‘ surf that’s a little funky/wonky like we normally deal with throughout the year?

Lately I’ve been leaning towards boards that have a lower entry rocker and volume/wide point pushed forward, while still maintaining a performance tail. I feel like a board needs to paddle and catch waves well as you’re really never quite in the right take off spot, handle steep drops, and also drive through soft shoulders. The two designs that seem to work best out there for me are the Haydenshapes Untitled and Pyzel Ghost.

Reactions: rowjimmytour

Yewstreet

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 8, 2019
So let's hear about what type of boards people like specifically for the challenges of OBSF. I'm not talking about guns for the big days, grovelers for the tiny days, or hpsbs for the rare clean and easy ones. Rather, what designs seem to work well for the typical 4–10‘ surf that’s a little funky/wonky like we normally deal with throughout the year?

Lately I’ve been leaning towards boards that have a lower entry rocker and volume/wide point pushed forward, while still maintaining a performance tail. I feel like a board needs to paddle and catch waves well as you’re really never quite in the right take off spot, handle steep drops, and also drive through soft shoulders. The two designs that seem to work best out there for me are the Haydenshapes Untitled and Pyzel Ghost.
What size of Ghost are you using? Interested in grabbing one when I move down in March.

PeterDj

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jul 11, 2018
I was out at Riviera this day.
My sinuses still hurt from the pounding during the paddle out and getting drilled paddling back in. The video really doesn't capture the distance you have to paddle to make it out the the outer bar where it was cleaner. I brought a 5'8" 32L thinking it would be easier "fun' size, but that was a mistake, should have brought my 6'10" at 38L for extra paddle power. It got especially brutal towards noon when the tide dropped to full low. The inner sand bar was dredging hard. Saw a few guys go home with busted boards.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lohena

bluengreen

Michael Peterson status
Oct 22, 2018
SF x Encinitas
Man, so crowded and kooky when conditions are clean, fun-size, sunny and it's not a work day. These are my least favorite sessions. Can't even count the times I've been nearly run over, burned, or had to straighten out or pull back because of fair-weather surfers, weekend warriors, VALs, and others with a weak grasp of surf etiquette and no respect for the hierarchies in the lineup. That's not to mention the blown takeoffs/ruined waves I've witnessed.

Sorry, that video just triggered some sh!t for me.

PeterDj

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jul 11, 2018
The crowd wasn't as bad as it looks in the video. 10 sec interval, allot of waves to choose from. It was pretty hard to stay in position and not get pulled by the rip. i started at Pacheco and got pulled to Riviera. Gave up there after a good pounding then went up to Fulton where it was smaller and way less crowded. Didn't help though, still a lot of current to swim against. There is a freaky feeling I always get when you get pulled way outside by the rip and it feels like a mile paddle back in. Some people get trapped outside and coast guard has to rescue them.

doc_flavonoid

Michael Peterson status
Dec 27, 2019
Man, so crowded and kooky when conditions are clean, fun-size, sunny and it's not a work day. These are my least favorite sessions. Can't even count the times I've been nearly run over, burned, or had to straighten out or pull back because of fair-weather surfers, weekend warriors, VALs, and others with a weak grasp of surf etiquette and no respect for the hierarchies in the lineup. That's not to mention the blown takeoffs/ruined waves I've witnessed.

Sorry, that video just triggered some sh!t for me.
eh socal what? you been here like what... a year? not like it was back in the day? get fckn real insta loc. hierarchies in the line-up? give me an fn' break. we got no line ups tranny, we got a totem btch and ur not on it

Reactions: Standby_14

bluengreen

Michael Peterson status
Oct 22, 2018
SF x Encinitas
OK, now you hurt my feelings, doc. Yeah, I'm from socal. And no, I'm not Matty, Marty, Lewis, or Doc Flavonoid. But I've been here 15 years (admit I stopped surfing for a period when I moved up), and more importantly I know who deserves deference, who puts the time in and can handle themselves, and who's clogging the ... totem.

Mar 29, 2006
Went to school up there in the early 80s and what I remember most is the endless, endless paddling, almost getting out and then dragged back again, and the feeling of total victory when I finally got out. Then long long walks back to the car. My favorite session though was night sesh at FP, inky black water and glow from the bridge and turn around to look at the full moon huge and bright hanging over the city.

Reactions: bluengreen

sponge

Tom Curren status
Feb 10, 2002
Honolulu, HI, USA
Visit site
Came late to this thread. Epic stories! Keep em coming.

My experiences there are only a couple of session in shoulder-high surf. All I remember it was numbingly cold.

Back in the day on the alt.surfing newsgroup there was this guy named Dave Blake. He was an OB regular and would grumble about the difference between double head-high and double overhead surf. Wonder what happened to him?

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
I think generally OB is more bark than bite. More people should paddle out. If you make it out, you deserve to be out there. OB won't let you out more often than not if you're not up to snuff. My only comment is to make sure you're using the right equipment. Especially a good strong leash.

I thought OB was as heavy as it got until I surfer Puerto and Pasquales.
I've never been to OB or Puerto but within my size range, give me pozole rips out the back in trunks. Yeah the drop is elevator and lots of these OB pics the drop looks way mellower. But rowing through fields of whitewater in a fullsuit looks completely exhausting, and it looks like you get dragged worse when you do get hit. The OB surfers I've seen there generally toyed with it. I'm kicking out hoping I can sneak back across green water, or paying very close attention when and where I paddle out. OB peeps seem to give 0 fux and walk straight to the water's edge and jump in, no rips needed.

Like the times, even at soft waves like Mayport, you cop one directly on the head, lose all your speed, and pop back up right on the button where the whirl spins and tips your board and you can't stabilize due to foam. Basically you vs your board brazzo jiu jitsu in the soup. But in North Florida, it's only one bubble. OB looks like it turns into vast swaths of that.

Reactions: mundus

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Back in the day on the alt.surfing newsgroup there was this guy named Dave Blake. He was an OB regular and would grumble about the difference between double head-high and double overhead surf. Wonder what happened to him?
I believe this is Blakestah.

He moved east to a better paying (research?) job.

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
remember he had those crazy self-toeing fins...or something.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
I actually bought one of the rotating center fins and put it in a board I made (a 6'8").

Before the board buckled, I found the moving fin a little a tad unpredictable.

You'd start a turn land then suddenly the board would just pivot turn in a manner unlike a single fin. Did make for a noticeably more responsive single fin board.

Last edited: