The Official OBSF Support Group

HarryLopez

Phil Edwards status
Jan 17, 2007
Neck deep
I think generally OB is more bark than bite. More people should paddle out. If you make it out, you deserve to be out there. OB won't let you out more often than not if you're not up to snuff. My only comment is to make sure you're using the right equipment. Especially a good strong leash.

I thought OB was as heavy as it got until I surfer Puerto and Pasquales.
Surfed all three, Pasquales not cranking though. Puerto was fear of getting pinned or slammed on bottom most of time even when big, while OB you could get ragdolled and held under when bigger.

lagunaboy

Michael Peterson status
Apr 24, 2017
I’ve surfed all three quite a bit. OB doesn’t jack and pitch like Mexico does. Can be a fatter wave sometimes. Puerto and Pasquales are never fat. Baja Malibu and DMJs are more like Pasquales. Puerto is a big playing field. OB is a miles long bunch of peaks. They’re all great. (Peta best of them all, though)

Last edited:

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
And why should they paddle out if they won't take-off? On any given day 1/2 of those in the water are just in the way and when it gets consequential that % goes up substantially. But you suggest more people should paddle out, so they can say blah blah blah to their Bro's and wives.
This year has been the worst crowds I have ever seen here. More surf days than not it actually looks like Huntington if you look up the beach, the numbers are uncountable.
But you wish more people would paddle out, jesus fcking christ. I know we are in the end times of uncrowded surf but you really need to be a claiming kook about it.
Sorry man, sounds like you really struggle with the lineup out here. Yeah it’s crowded but I don’t ever have trouble getting waves. EVER. Even the ones I want.

Still get plenty of ucrowded sessions on off-days and big days that aren’t A+. The only people I see causing issues in the lineup are people with your kind of attitude.

Reactions: Lohena

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
So let's hear about what type of boards people like specifically for the challenges of OBSF. I'm not talking about guns for the big days, grovelers for the tiny days, or hpsbs for the rare clean and easy ones. Rather, what designs seem to work well for the typical 4–10‘ surf that’s a little funky/wonky like we normally deal with throughout the year?

Lately I’ve been leaning towards boards that have a lower entry rocker and volume/wide point pushed forward, while still maintaining a performance tail. I feel like a board needs to paddle and catch waves well as you’re really never quite in the right take off spot, handle steep drops, and also drive through soft shoulders. The two designs that seem to work best out there for me are the Haydenshapes Untitled and Pyzel Ghost.
Definitely the Ghost is a solid board for OB. I have a 6’2 that goes well in a variety of conditions but really shines when it’s clean. I’ve had a lot of luck with custom Lost Retro Guns. Just the right amount of forward volume and rocker for OB. They seem to work really well on the Less clean days. Might try a carerra next year but will almost certainly double down on the Ghost.

I always keep a midsized alt planshape gun around for days like this as well when I just wan’t to paddle up and down peaks and catch a bunch of waves. I’ve used Buzz Guns for this but right now I have a Lyle Carlson that has a volume forward teardrop shape thing going on that’s really nice.

Woke AF

Tom Curren status
Jul 29, 2009
Southern Tip, Norcal
Sorry man, sounds like you really struggle with the lineup out here. Yeah it’s crowded but I don’t ever have trouble getting waves. EVER. Even the ones I want.

Still get plenty of ucrowded sessions on off-days and big days that aren’t A+. The only people I see causing issues in the lineup are people with your kind of attitude.
You admit it is crowded now but you want more people in the water, to take away the uncrowded days? :rolleyes: Genius
But bouys in the water make no difference to you since either you don't see them or your skillset is so high that you just surf around them, over them, under them or through them. Very impressive and must be nice.

Even if you are the charger you think you are(which I don't care either way), you're just a kook because all you care about is yourself and what you get.

Do you ever stop claiming?

lagunaboy

Michael Peterson status
Apr 24, 2017
I rode 7’0”-9’0” at OBSF. 7’6” was my favorite for smaller winter days. Im stoked that so many surfers don’t ride as much foam as I do.

Reactions: bluengreen

bluengreen

Michael Peterson status
Oct 22, 2018
SF x Encinitas
Yeah, I dig the Ghost too, these days. I have a stock 6'3 that's a little too beefy and a slimed down 6'5 that I've been riding lately when it's around 1.5X overhead but not long period. Paddles great, makes hairy drops, and I love the way it holds rail and accelerates through big carves. Can't say enough about my Rusty Blackbird guns, too. So smooth, solid, and controlled feeling.

Regarding crowds, I really only find them a problem on weekend or holiday mornings when the waves are small to medium. Those big and imperfect days always end up being some of the most memorable for me. I surfed last Saturday around 11 a.m. and by the time I made it out (which was no guarantee given the swell mix, size, and chop) there was one guy about 100 yards south of me and two guys 200 yards north. Caught some bombs all by myself. Have also had many great afternoon sessions with very few people out -- like 2-3 guys on a peak. If you have a flexible schedule and can surf a few times a week, there will be windows with mellow lineups.

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
You admit it is crowded now but you want more people in the water, to take away the uncrowded days? :rolleyes: Genius
But bouys in the water make no difference to you since either you don't see them or your skillset is so high that you just surf around them, over them, under them or through them. Very impressive and must be nice.

Even if you are the charger you think you are(which I don't care either way), you're just a kook because all you care about is yourself and what you get.

Do you ever stop claiming?
I’d be cool to see you claim something other than the salty local vibe. Is that even a card you can play?

Not sure what you expect. Do you think everyone who isn’t up to your par is all of a sudden going to recognize that and head to pacifica? Do you think people are just going to lose interest in surfing?

I’d also love to roll back the clocks to when it was literally deserted out here but that’s just not going to happen. The beginners, the cameras, instagram accounts, Marin kids, wannabe local bros who have been here for all of 5 years trying to claim the beach. It’s all here to stay.

On the flip side, the level of surfing at OB has never been higher and it’s impressive to see. I’m just gonna embrace it, keep to myself, stay friendly, and go as hard as I can for as long as I can.

Woke AF

Tom Curren status
Jul 29, 2009
Southern Tip, Norcal
I’d be cool to see you claim something other than the salty local vibe. Is that even a card you can play?

Not sure what you expect. Do you think everyone who isn’t up to your par is all of a sudden going to recognize that and head to pacifica? Do you think people are just going to lose interest in surfing?

I’d also love to roll back the clocks to when it was literally deserted out here but that’s just not going to happen. The beginners, the cameras, instagram accounts, Marin kids, wannabe local bros who have been here for all of 5 years trying to claim the beach. It’s all here to stay.

On the flip side, the level of surfing at OB has never been higher and it’s impressive to see. I’m just gonna embrace it, keep to myself, stay friendly, and go as hard as I can for as long as I can.
well, it seems reading comprehension is not your strength but we will let that go for now.

I have renounced claiming to strangers on the internet for some years now. It's quite freeing and I suggest you try it.

I try to keep expectations very low concerning human behavior but I expect someone who appreciates something that is a limited resource not to recommend it to the hoards. It's an old notion but, heh.

This year does seem different in respect to people who would only surf Linda Mar are now surfing here regularly. As I said before, the hoards are here and there is no turning back. That does not mean I have to like it or not say something to any clown hawking them in.

I agree the level of surfing is far greater now. It always seemed to me, generally, the long time ob surfers were really good at paddling, taking off deep and shooting for the shoulder. At any size, turns and hitting the lip were not part of the agenda. But that has more to do with what the beach offers, clean performance waves are not the norm. And maybe the mindset the beach instills. Do I really want to hit that closeout lip and get pushed and stuck inside... no. And now there are guys doing more than taking off on big waves and surviving.

None of this is staying what it is now. SF has always been a boom and bust city. This boom has been building for the past 10 years. It will change.

On a happy note, where did all the hipster surfers go? I have not seen one in the water in some time.

Reactions: Standby_14

PeterDj

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jul 11, 2018
I think the vibe at OB is generally friendly even on super crowded small sunny summer days. It can get so crowded that everyone is just like whatever and starts goofing off, rather than go into contest mode back paddling and making whiney bitch noises like they do in SC. No one really takes small wave days seriously, most are just happy to see a few rare bikinis without arm pit hairs on the beach.

tedshred

Gerry Lopez status
Apr 15, 2008

As a "Marin Kid" I can say I'm pretty bummed by the beach these days. I started surfing Kelly's at 13 or 14, got sh!t from the older kids but stayed quiet and put in years till I became a regular. Started sitting at the peak and getting sets but always let born and raised guys go on the best ones. In the last 10 years or so the influx has been crazy. 20-30 somethings showing up in hoards from who knows where with zero lack of awareness of their skill level and dues paid. Guys will paddle out, sit right next to you and try to go on the first set because they are on the "inside" Half the time they paddle right back out and do the same thing again which usually results in a blatant burn.

Anywhere I go to surf where I'm not from I always sit wide or on the inside and let the locals get theirs then try to get the scraps. I have really never been vibed cause I surf well and show respect. It seems like this new crop has no idea how this mindset works. Its me me me despite lack of skill or time spent at the beach. My theory is they learn to surf in college at UCSB or wherever, get a high paying job offer in the city and come here thinking anything is theirs for the taking. Any clean day under 10 ft has 100's of adult learners in the lineup, no parking and complete fuckery in the lineup. Hoping the next crash or earthquake hits the reset button for OB. At this point I would rather surf obscure waves up north than deal with the tech kooks that plague OB.

PeterDj

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jul 11, 2018
Why anyone from marin drives down to the city to find waves is beyond my comprehension. But, you are correct that a huge factor in the crowds are guys from socal schools who got high paying jobs and now live in the city. It's just a trend though. I don't think allot of those types really like it much in the city and only live there because of work. The IT trend is starting to move out of the bay. I bet allot of these types will start invading the east coast especially north carolina since that is the new silicon valley.

RemyXO

Michael Peterson status
Mar 12, 2003
San Luis Obispo
When I had more free time in my late teens early 20's, I would make the 1-hour drive to OB from Sonoma County. Never surfed the truly big days, but I have a few remarkable sessions stored in my memory bank. I surfed the middle of the beach a couple times and was always sketched about where to park, and getting my car broken into. Super fun crossing the Great Highway and walking over the dunes to see the peaks.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Why anyone from marin drives down to the city to find waves is beyond my comprehension. But, you are correct that a huge factor in the crowds are guys from socal schools who got high paying jobs and now live in the city. It's just a trend though. I don't think allot of those types really like it much in the city and only live there because of work. The IT trend is starting to move out of the bay. I bet allot of these types will start invading the east coast especially north carolina since that is the new silicon valley.
The beach in North Carolina is a long ass way from any tech jobs. In fact anything people actually say they like about North Carolina is a long ass way from anything remotely resembling a job market. Unless you like Appalachia and meth, or monthly evacuations and trapping crabs, in which case, look no further.

bluengreen

Michael Peterson status
Oct 22, 2018
SF x Encinitas
Essential activities include: "Engaging in outdoor activity, such as walking, hiking, or running provided that you maintain at least six feet of social distancing." We are all good. Just don't sit on me in the lineup, man!

Reactions: Aruka and Lohena

Lohena

OTF status
Oct 30, 2019
Essential activities include: "Engaging in outdoor activity, such as walking, hiking, or running provided that you maintain at least six feet of social distancing." We are all good. Just don't sit on me in the lineup, man!
Ok, feeling better after my freak out. Deep breathes. Relaxing...

I'm calling the cops on anybody who sits on my peak. Would be the first misdemeanor given for "Violating social distance protocol by being a sheep and tool for not finding their own peak."

VaB

Michael Peterson status
Nov 14, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
The beach in North Carolina is a long ass way from any tech jobs. In fact anything people actually say they like about North Carolina is a long ass way from anything remotely resembling a job market. Unless you like Appalachia and meth, or monthly evacuations and trapping crabs, in which case, look no further.
+1