The Official OBSF Support Group

Woke AF

Tom Curren status
Jul 29, 2009
Southern Tip, Norcal
Closing out at knee high w/ 3-5 people attempting to paddle into each wave.

Closing out at chest high w/ 1 person snowballs you straight away, and 2 people try to shoulder hop.

Closing out at overhead+. w/ whoever managed to make it out ditching their boards in front of you as you paddle back out.
*adjusted for completeness.

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
I wish. It would be so cool to take the ferry and surf over there. Even if it was a novelty.

I always thought it would be cool if there was a storm with enough wind to make little waves in the East Bay too, but I don't think there is enough room in San Pablo or SF Bay to make it happen. I know it works in Tahoe though.

Reactions: sdsrfr

Driftcoast

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2002
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/unconscious-surfer-rescued-from-water-at-china-beach/ar-AA13R16o?ocid=entnewsntp&pc=U531&cvid=ba9f714f3dd5486995b36abb9653bb09

Who is this?

Shortly after 6 p.m., the SFFD tweeted out that local surfers noticed an unconscious surfer in the water and were able to swim him through dangerous surf. The surfers then placed the unconscious surfer on a rock and went back to shore to call 911, SFFD said.

The United States Coast Guard assisted with the rescue and provided light via helicopter. Rescue swimmers then swam to the unconscious surfer on the rock and provided care.
The rescue swimmers swam the surfer to a paramedic rescue boat while waiting for a ground medic to arrive, according to SFFD.

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/unconscious-surfer-rescued-from-water-at-china-beach/ar-AA13R16o?ocid=entnewsntp&pc=U531&cvid=ba9f714f3dd5486995b36abb9653bb09

Who is this?

Shortly after 6 p.m., the SFFD tweeted out that local surfers noticed an unconscious surfer in the water and were able to swim him through dangerous surf. The surfers then placed the unconscious surfer on a rock and went back to shore to call 911, SFFD said.

The United States Coast Guard assisted with the rescue and provided light via helicopter. Rescue swimmers then swam to the unconscious surfer on the rock and provided care.
The rescue swimmers swam the surfer to a paramedic rescue boat while waiting for a ground medic to arrive, according to SFFD.

heavy. Clueless people get rocked on the regular out there, but it could happen to anyone pretty easily. I wonder if they put him on the rock at Deads or the one just down the stairs.

bluengreen

Michael Peterson status
Oct 22, 2018
SF x Encinitas
Sketchy, shallow takeoff in front of Mussel-clad rocks. Usually a large and aggressive pack ruled by an old-school, eggy breed of local, although a goofy-footed goth hairdresser sits at the top. Every set someone gets pitched from the lip.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Waterlogged05

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Looks like Lindamar got some unfortunate soul the other day.

Link

Blurb

Police Capt. Bill Glasgo said authorities were notified around 2:50 p.m. that there were men in trouble on the beach. He said that two rescuers were a father and son from Montara who were preparing to go surfing when they saw one of the men in distress.

One of the rescuers, Nico Barragan, told ABC 7 news that he “jumped in, swam out there. By the time I got to one of the guys, I noticed the other one was floating upside down.” After Barragan helped the first victim, he and another person brought the other drowning man to shore on a surfboard.

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Looks like Lindamar got some unfortunate soul the other day.

Link

Blurb

Police Capt. Bill Glasgo said authorities were notified around 2:50 p.m. that there were men in trouble on the beach. He said that two rescuers were a father and son from Montara who were preparing to go surfing when they saw one of the men in distress.

One of the rescuers, Nico Barragan, told ABC 7 news that he “jumped in, swam out there. By the time I got to one of the guys, I noticed the other one was floating upside down.” After Barragan helped the first victim, he and another person brought the other drowning man to shore on a surfboard.

Damn.Not sure what some people are trying to accomplish sometimes. Fishing?

Tarab_ish

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 14, 2018
That's terrible. Apparently the sf bar was ~5.5'@12 on sunday? (still injured so was deliberately not paying attention to the surf), tide at 2pm was low-ish. I wonder if maybe the two tried to go swimming in the rip at the very north end where it'd look calmer?