The Official OBSF Support Group

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
So is everyone else out there these days. Was talking to the guy who runs Aqua (not sure what his name is) and we were talking about how 5 years ago the biggest board out at OB was an 8'6 and now guys are on 10'0s when it's tripple overhead. Ended up sliding a 9'0 into an order they have placed with Lyle. My Christenson Sicario's (8'4 and 9'0) just landed at Proof Lab. Going to pick them up tomorrow. Winter is looking like it might be pretty chill work-wise. Thinking about picking up a 10'0 and seeing if I can't work my way into the crowded Mavs lineup.
Lyle from Hawaii? Big dude, BJJ guy, beard, big smile? Builds sick guns? I think he is Dick brewers like, nephew or son or something?

kool-aid

Michael Peterson status
Aug 28, 2003
San Francisco
is it just the pic or do those sicarios have a lot of nose rocker?

look great.
They have an insane amount of nose flip. Put them down next to my 8'2 CI pink gun and they have at least a half-inch extra tail rocker and probably 2" - 3" extra nose rocker. The flip is most exaggerated on the ends but there's more curve through the middle of the boards as well. The noses are beak at all... they're very foiled out and refined... especially the 8'4. The 9'0 is a little bit more blocky in the middle... he clearly shaped a bit of extra foam into it. I'm regular footed which means I'm backhand going left. OB when there's any size is basically a left. Wanted some guns that were long, narrow, and foiled to make it easier to pull in.

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
It was sheet glass and inviting yesterday afternoon. It looked smallish but VERY fun. I just stopped to meet the fam for a few minutes before I had to go to a meeting, but it was a pretty picturesque fall afternoon.

Today, less so.

Reactions: bluengreen

Tarab_ish

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 14, 2018
I can't believe it, tbh.

two weeks and change ago I was fully in Over It mode. I had barely surfed all summer, it was still dreary onshore and still such heavy fog that it was raining off the eucalyptus trees at my place. Still, I was like, the season is coming, I need to get in paddle shape. So for four or five days in a row I surf sunset session, middle of the beach on my chunky grovel board, in terrible weak ass onshore waves. Getting out that last day I finally felt grateful, I was getting in rhythm, felt good to be paddling around, realizing that I missed being in the water.

Later that night I'm trying to do a little more cardio on my road bike, riding around chasing those Cruise self driving cars in the richmond (I still can't believe that sh!t), trying to figure out if they're all following one big loop or if they're doing individual smaller routes, when bam, I hit a curb/center island thing while absent-mindedly looking the wrong way. Low speed but I stuck my arm straight out as I fell and fractured my elbow and wrist. Relatively minor, could'a been worse, but...

How is it not beautiful right now? I feel like the karma/surf gods should be punishing me, and rewarding you all, with plenty of beautiful crisp sunny even if smaller fall days by now. There should be lots of the good longboarding season, with at least some solid clean days. It's fucked up!

Last edited:

pee_pee

Legend (inyourownmind)
Aug 25, 2012
I can't believe it, tbh.

two weeks and change ago I was fully in Over It mode. I had barely surfed all summer, it was still dreary onshore and still such heavy fog that it was raining off the eucalyptus trees at my place. Still, I was like, the season is coming, I need to get in paddle shape. So for four or five days in a row I surf sunset session, middle of the beach on my chunky grovel board, in terrible weak ass onshore waves. Getting out that last day I finally felt grateful, I was getting in rhythm, felt good to be paddling around, realizing that I missed being in the water.

Later that night I'm trying to do a little more cardio on my road bike, riding around chasing those Cruise self driving cars in the richmond (I still can't believe that sh!t), trying to figure out if they're all following one big loop or if they're doing individual smaller routes, when bam, I hit a curb/center island thing while absent-mindedly looking the wrong way. Low speed but I stuck my arm straight out as I fell and fractured my elbow and wrist. Relatively minor, could'a been worse, but...

How is it not beautiful right now? I feel like the karma/surf gods should be punishing me, and rewarding you all, with plenty of beautiful crisp sunny even if smaller fall days by now. There should be lots of the good longboarding season, with at least some solid clean days. It's fucked up!
Sorry to see this. I had the exact same injury early pandemic (bike fall/arm extension and fractured radial head). For me, it took a really long time for pain to go away during duck dives (over a year).

The recovery process of trying to force extension is pretty brutal too. I found hanging the heal strap of a swim fin off my semi-extended arm for long periods of time to be a pretty good approach for pushing it.

bluengreen

Michael Peterson status
Oct 22, 2018
SF x Encinitas
Sorry to hear about your injury, Tarab.

OB rejected me today. Gave it a good 30 minutes of trying to duck dive relentless whitewaters and then taking several large on the head. Got dragged two blocks north and almost made it to the outside when a set reared up and broke 10 yards in front of me. Was really gassed for that hold down, panic swam to the surface and decided to belly in.

Surfline was calling 6.5 @14 seconds 6-10 feet. I guess they are back to using Island scale.

Last edited:

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
They forecasted this current swell to be like 10 ft.

Local buoy was reading 18@18 last night and 15@15 this morning. Thats a pretty big miss.

Fun swell though both yesterday and today.

Reactions: Mr Doof

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Looks like the SF Bouy was reading 9 feet at 16 seconds. What is the Surfline algorithm smoking?
they've been struggling to predict the rain and wind forecasts as well. they kept calling like day after day of rain, like half inch per day, but then it's barely anything or even sunny. past two days were predicted to be 10-20mph south winds and it was basically windless. not sure what's up. all these little systems are hard to predict I guess.

Tarab_ish

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 14, 2018
Sorry to see this. I had the exact same injury early pandemic (bike fall/arm extension and fractured radial head). For me, it took a really long time for pain to go away during duck dives (over a year).

The recovery process of trying to force extension is pretty brutal too. I found hanging the heal strap of a swim fin off my semi-extended arm for long periods of time to be a pretty good approach for pushing it.
damn that sucks, thanks for the tip. sent you a pm about it.

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Sorry to hear about the arm Tarab_ish.

I trip out on the Self Drivers too. They park in front of my house every day to take a break. So weird.

And YES!
Surfline called it 4-8 when it was 2-4 last week, then 6-10 when it was looking really solid over the weekend.
I was on Halloween with the kids duty and did not surf.

Reactions: Tarab_ish

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
1 Got denied Saturday morning. I blame lack of fitness and poor choice of where I paddled out.

2 The broken elbow thing.....my two broken elbows from being doored have this bit of advice: wait a week or two for initial swelling to go down, heat up the elbow in warm to hot water then slowly try to extend the joint and when it starts hurting, hold then slowly back off, rest a moment, then go again to at least same point, do for 1/2 hr then ice it, repeat the next day. Keep it up for as long as it takes till you can fully extend it. When you start to use the elbow as you would normally want to, do yourself a favor and warm up the muscles/joint before full exertion.

Reactions: Tarab_ish and Aruka
Jul 8, 2008
To me it seems like surfline has gotten way more accurate over the last year for OB. Years past I thought that Magicseaweed and stormsurf was spot on and surflie routinely overestimated..by a fair amount. Over the last few months surfline is much more inline. Mind you this is for head high and under which is when I look to go out. How you guys charge in double overhead out there is beyond me.

I'm also waiting for my glassy under head high fall day. Looking like I may wait for a while.

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
To me it seems like surfline has gotten way more accurate over the last year for OB. Years past I thought that Magicseaweed and stormsurf was spot on and surflie routinely overestimated..by a fair amount. Over the last few months surfline is much more inline. Mind you this is for head high and under which is when I look to go out. How you guys charge in double overhead out there is beyond me.

I'm also waiting for my glassy under head high fall day. Looking like I may wait for a while.

Feels like it's always 4-6, 6-10, 10-3xOH. Rinse and repeat

Reactions: bluengreen

Tarab_ish

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 14, 2018
Thanks for the tip Doof. "pee pee" mentioned to me that swelling continued to be a problem for him as he started being able to use it more, I'll try that as happens. And god, getting doored is a nightmare, that sucks.
And bob yeah, when i'm walking around and see them I feel like turning to random people in the street like "you see this sh!t!?!?" I can't believe everyone else is so chill about it. Tbh, when I'm killed by a car it is 100% going to be a tesla, they're the worst drivers by far.

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Thanks for the tip Doof. "pee pee" mentioned to me that swelling continued to be a problem for him as he started being able to use it more, I'll try that as happens. And god, getting doored is a nightmare, that sucks.
And bob yeah, when i'm walking around and see them I feel like turning to random people in the street like "you see this sh!t!?!?" I can't believe everyone else is so chill about it. Tbh, when I'm killed by a car it is 100% going to be a tesla, they're the worst drivers by far.

Doesn't help that all the Teslas in my neighborhood are driven by private school teens or their parents

Last edited: