***The Official Mid-Length Thread***

mattew

Legend (inyourownmind)
Sep 7, 2007
Santa cruz
that thing looks fun, maybe too functional to be a mid. feels a bit more mini glider than mid to me with that nose.
True, and from what I can tell the foam is beautifully hidden, interested in how well this thing is gonna paddle with these rails.

Now the question is to pad or not to pad..

Mr J

Michael Peterson status
Aug 18, 2003
Regional Vic, Australia
True, and from what I can tell the foam is beautifully hidden, interested in how well this thing is gonna paddle with these rails.

Now the question is to pad or not to pad..
Are those square rails up front? If so it should paddle well from extra volume. More interesting is will they be forgiving to accidentally catching or not.

That will get you back into surfing and you will learn something from it too (y)

Reactions: mattew

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
Gives new meaning to the expression "blocky rails". Should be great for "squaring off your bottom turns."
It would give me pause if one rolled up to pick up the board and the shaper was wearing a Minecraft t-shirt and you noticed hanging on his shaping wall he had a replica Minecraft sword where his hand saw should be.

Reactions: Northern_Shores

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
What fins are you running in your Outlier. Thinking of pulling the trigger on one as they seem to be blowing them out at 30% off.

A little freightened of 3" thick and 23 inches wide (I'm only 160 pounds) but thinking it might be good for east coast summer.

My 7' Outlier eats those conditions for breakfast. May not be everyone's cup of tea but a mate of mine who also has one and we always say don't leave home without it. It has belly up front with the roll going into the rails that stops them catching. Straight outline that's drivey and a wide tail that helps keep the board planing and allows you to turn without the tail sinking in small stuff. Enough length and width to plane across dead sections. The pulled in tail on that CI mid would give me pause for grovelling duties on it. Sure you can stand forward on it to trim but when you step back on the tail...hmmm. Good luck on your quest.

Reactions: Retropete

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Both @JaM71 and I run 8” FCS Clique fins or similar as a centre and Hanalei sidebites but gxq sidebites or small quad rears in a flat or 80/20 foil would be fine.
Jam71 is lighter than me so he can chime in. I lent him my outlier and he initially thought it was too much foam but on a revisit is now completely smitten with it like me.IMG_0516.jpeg
We also use S wing twin 520s for an even looser feel in the small stuff.

Reactions: Mr J

JaM71

OTF status
Jul 12, 2013
GC, Australia
What fins are you running in your Outlier. Thinking of pulling the trigger on one as they seem to be blowing them out at 30% off.

A little freightened of 3" thick and 23 inches wide (I'm only 160 pounds) but thinking it might be good for east coast summer.
Hey mate, I am probably 170lb and as Pete mentioned at first I didn't gell with the board- I told myself it's too much foam, too boaty, it's not suited to these waves so this is what the experience was for me. A few months later I realised that I hadn't been open to the possibilities with this board and fortunately got a second chance. And in small waves, fat waves, crappy waves it's a super fun board. Be open and I am sure you will have fun on it- I never leave home without it

Reactions: Maz and Retropete

Maz

Michael Peterson status
May 18, 2004
Innzid
Guessing Noosa points and small Sunny Coast beachies for you RP? JaM71, where do you ride yours?

JaM71

OTF status
Jul 12, 2013
GC, Australia
Hey Maz, I ride mine mostly on the open beachies up to chest to shoulder high- onshore or offshore. Also on smaller point waves at kirra and Greenmount

Reactions: Maz

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006
Guessing Noosa points and small Sunny Coast beachies for you RP? JaM71, where do you ride yours?
Maroocyhdore area beachies (outermost point of Noosa if its breaking) and we have the Sunshine coast's premier soft arse point wave (Alex Hdld) to dice with longboarders on.
When I go to the Goldy or Freeride's neck of the woods I marvel in what a real point break feels like.

• Haha
Reactions: Maz

Retropete

Phil Edwards status
Jan 20, 2006

Forgot to add this as this is completely relevant being as he is on the East coast and much closer to your weight. Note that he is coming from a longboard background rather than a shortboard background so could be useful to see how this translates to how he goes on shorter boards he reviews like Album twinsman and others in his 3 series comparison videos.
Take note that he also didn't play around with fins as JaM71 and I have so a lot of different feels can be had out of changing up the fins on the board. On another forum I had one poster say they had bought a 7' Outlier but didn't find it surfed that well for them. They sold the board then later saw my fin experimentation, bought another Outlier 7'er and put in the fins more along what I had found worked and said it was then a keeper so that was cool.

claw87

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jan 30, 2017
Forgot to add this as this is completely relevant being as he is on the East coast and much closer to your weight. Note that he is coming from a longboard background rather than a shortboard background so could be useful to see how this translates to how he goes on shorter boards he reviews like Album twinsman and others in his 3 series comparison videos.
Take note that he also didn't play around with fins as JaM71 and I have so a lot of different feels can be had out of changing up the fins on the board. On another forum I had one poster say they had bought a 7' Outlier but didn't find it surfed that well for them. They sold the board then later saw my fin experimentation, bought another Outlier 7'er and put in the fins more along what I had found worked and said it was then a keeper so that was cool.
I just put a deposit down for one, and you were definitely inspiring me to get one :) it's meant to fill an (imaginary) niche between my log which I barely ever ride and my grovelers. Logging to me is only fun when it's tiny and lined up, and grovelers need some sort of shape to the wave to start working. So maybe the Outlier is the solution for shin to waist high mushburgers

Reactions: JaM71

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
Watched that. Funny that he says he's a longboarder and a hull rider but he surfs kinda like a shortboarder and doesn't really use the middle of the board the way you'd think somone who rides hulls would.

I have a 7'0 Outlier in the cart with the fin setup that Trip Freeman was using in the Real video, a 7.5" Christiansen FCS2 and some Carver side bites. He was warned about going with too much fin, although you guys seems to like a little (or a lot) more.

I still think it might be too much of a fat board for me which is why I haven't pulled the trigger, that and the almost 1,000 with fins and shipping despite the sale for a grovel board.

I've got a 7'0 copy of a Takayama Howard Mini with the addition of double concave through the fins that goes pretty well when there's a wave and I've made it work on smaller days but it's not optimal for those by any means. Just not sure if I want to drop a grand to fill this niche.

Reactions: Bman76

MrSteve

Gerry Lopez status
Oct 1, 2015
NJ
Watched that. Funny that he says he's a longboarder and a hull rider but he surfs kinda like a shortboarder and doesn't really use the middle of the board the way you'd think somone who rides hulls would.
Watch his Twinsman review (my old board actually...before he sold it to Yurine). He tries to turn it with a drop knee longboard stance.

jory

OTF status
Aug 13, 2006
UK
Visit site
Watch his Twinsman review (my old board actually...before he sold it to Yurine). He tries to turn it with a drop knee longboard stance.
He actually seems like a really nice if earnest guy and is a pretty decent logger but yeah the way he always tries to drop knee even tiny boards is a bit weird (& limiting). He stopped reviewing the shorter boards after a few episodes.

He’s got way into foiling and has a vlog going on his progress with that ( the lift journal ). He mentions in one of those how he’s had to learn not to lift his back foot in turns to keep the right pressure on the foil so maybe that will help his surfing too.

Reactions: Havoc