*** The Official 2024 SITD Chloe Edition ***

claw87

Legend (inyourownmind)
Jan 30, 2017
Johnny Cabianca is Gabe's shaper. Axel Lorentz (one of five Pukas' shapers) is a really good shaper. I have a Tasty Treat that I love and keep at my office in Porto, Portugal. I grabbed an OTR 5'11" at the Waimea shop in Matosinhos.
Didn't know you hang with us Euro kooks haha. Curious about that tasty treat, round/squash? INNCA or poly? Debating whether my next shortie will be a TT or a stub 3.0....

Reactions: ChaseTMP

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
Didn't know you hang with us Euro kooks haha. Curious about that tasty treat, round/squash? INNCA or poly? Debating whether my next shortie will be a TT or a stub 3.0....
Squash in poly. The company I work for's factory is in Porto so I'm over there for a few days at least quarterly. I like the bort so much, I've contemplated bringing back to California with me, but it's nice not having to worry about packing a bort.

It's my only other poly, the other being my Ghost. I've been buying mostly Varials since they don't go dead on me. I felt comfortable getting the TT in poly since I knew it wouldn't get ridden that often.

Last edited:

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
I binge watched this morning and this SITD was pretty good. The whole DHD/Mayhem thing made it nice and juicy. lol. I bet Mayhem is gunning for DH now :ROFLMAO:
hypto-andino
PS: @Havoc I was right about Mayhem making his version and calling it something stupid.
He made his version of a DHD for Kolohe and called it "DH-Sub Driver" :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
Mayhem is a funny dude. He dont GAF...

Reactions: Hazrus and Havoc

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
Fkuc, that was epic. I normally much prefer the EAST to the SiTD, but this one was epic. Chloe was eloquent and interesting and the backstory to the relationship he had with the finalists was Lord of the Rings-esque. So good that DHD won with all that going on, but yeah felt kinda bummed for Chloe to pick that one considering everything that went before. He was ripping the bag out of those waves on all 4 finalists and just made me think why didn't he just surf like that on the Wozzle? Watched one episode of Italo's, and then skipped the rest, but this was so good. Dunno why anyone wouldn't subscribe as STAB put out so much good content. Totally worth it.

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Just watched final ep. Credit to Chloe that he surfs so consistently most of the boats looked good. Top 3 all looked great. I kinda thought pukas looked best tho. But then the waves he surfed after he knew it was a DH, he was going nuts, like a weight had been lifted. LOL

What a headtrip for him tho. He probably already thought he might’ve won that j-bay if he’d just stayed on the DH instead of switching back to Mayhem mid-contest.
maybe now he second-guesses if he would’ve done even better on tour if he’d given the DHs more a chance.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
maybe now he second-guesses if he would’ve done even better on tour if he’d given the DHs more a chance.
The problem is the DHs don't really work in CA.

Which brings us back to the ongoing problem with American CTers...their formative pro career revolves around Orange Clownie. They're treating pro surfing like it's 1989.

Kolohe shoulda done what Kanoa did.

If Kolohe spent his off tour time in OZ riding DHs or Portugal maybe his comp results would have been different?

Reactions: vanrysss and Havoc

sushipop

Michael Peterson status
Feb 7, 2008
The Dagobah System
The problem is the DHs don't really work in CA.

Which brings us back to the ongoing problem with American CTers...their formative pro career revolves around Orange Clownie. They're treating pro surfing like it's 1989.

Kolohe shoulda done what Kanoa did.

If Kolohe spent his off tour time in OZ riding DHs or Portugal maybe his comp results would have been different?
DH referred to this at the “premier“ the other night. He and the other shapers discussed how you can tell the difference between Australian and US shaped boards. Aussies are shaping for better, more critical surf.

Reactions: paunch23

Goodfish

Michael Peterson status
Feb 22, 2014
1) They've stated they will be the WSL's lapdog, despite being in the unique historical position to hold the WSL's feet to the fire with minimal consequence.
2) They're grossly inaccurate at times and deliberately dishonest
3) Ashton
1) think they've pulled back a bit from that. Recently, I've seen some WSL criticism on their site and heard it on the podcast too.
2) Don't care. I have a brain, so can decipher.
3) He's a kook, but don't think he works there anymore.

Reactions: ChaseTMP

ChaseTMP

Michael Peterson status
Apr 6, 2014
S. Redondo
Yeah, Ashton is insufferable. He only does the No Contest content now, though his Linkedin would have you believe he runs the ship there. You would also believe he’s an ex pro surfer “…I spent my youth chasing waves around the globe, surfing competitively…”. He probably did some amateur longboard contest in Florida and I would assume he didn’t make a heat since he’s such a kook.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
DH referred to this at the “premier“ the other night. He and the other shapers discussed how you can tell the difference between Australian and US shaped boards. Aussies are shaping for better, more critical surf.
Did he specify?

A common trait with the Aussie boards is they just come to a halt if not on rail, no ability to negotiate flat spots. Often even without extreme rocker.

On the other hand USA boards can have plenty of rocker yet work even through flat spots...is this due to more rail rocker with a flatter rocker through the concave?

I have never understood this.

Reactions: paunch23

Sauce

OTF status
Oct 6, 2021
The ashton stuff forsure, but god the the amount of articles throwing distance from "what brand condoms do the pros prefer" is ridiculous. EAST was the only thing mildly interesting for me.

SITD should be irrelevant to 90% of surfers ; and I always thought it was way cool when pros got sticks from local shapers at the different spots. Tokoros/pyzels/bushmans for the NS, mayhems/TPs/various others for cali, Aussie shapers for aussie waves. Makes sense supporting shapers that know the waves , supporting local, and just seeing something different. SITD always seemed to go against the idea of being different.

stringcheese

Miki Dora status
Jun 21, 2017
Did he specify?

A common trait with the Aussie boards is they just come to a halt if not on rail, no ability to negotiate flat spots. Often even without extreme rocker.

On the other hand USA boards can have plenty of rocker yet work even through flat spots...is this due to more rail rocker with a flatter rocker through the concave?

I have never understood this.
Are we talking boards actually from Australia, or also boards from Australian shapers made in California?