The Jordan Peterson Thread

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
ive never even seen a mega church

religious weirdos aren’t really a thing in New England. Maybe in rural Maine— gets weird up there
You’ve never been to Oceanside. They’re hiding in the bushes behind fecal’s house.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
ive never even seen a mega church

religious weirdos aren’t really a thing in New England. Maybe in rural Maine— gets weird up there
There's still a shitload of Catholics; their religious weirdo-osity might not tend towards the public discourse but weirdo sh!t goes down.

It's like when Pinochet had that guy car-bombed in DC vs Jamal Kashoggi. The Chilean opposition guy wasn't a journalist, and Trump actually said the "but they're buying Jared's condo" part out loud, so the ninnies had a kerfluffle.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
That second part made zero sense. I would say you have that completely mixed up. Religion is about making humans feel like they are the center of our universe. Science is about realizing that reality does not support that.

And yes science has led to many insane things. I recently listened to someone try to make the claim that the naval ship with the Covid outbreak was a missed opportunity to use humans as guinea pigs to see how the virus acts. :socrazy:
Agreed. Where science falls short is asking whether one should do something, simply for the fact that one can. I mean, what could possibly go wrong with recreating black holes in a lab or human cloning? That’s where some sort of ethical framework is needed. Doesn’t have to be an organized religion, although it works for at least a few billion people on this earth with mostly decent results.

Also, there is plenty of phenomena that cannot be explained with science. Such as how do you do a replicated experiment that proves that magic mushrooms make you feel one with the earth to a p<0.05 significance level? (queuing Rogan in 3, 2, 1 . . .)

Problem with that is when religious wackjobs latch onto the shortfalls and limitations of science and use that to push magical thinking stories.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Agreed. Where science falls short is asking whether one should do something, simply for the fact that one can. I mean, what could possibly go wrong with recreating black holes in a lab or human cloning? That’s where some sort of ethical framework is needed. Doesn’t have to be an organized religion, although it works for at least a few billion people on this earth with mostly decent results.

Also, there is plenty of phenomena that cannot be explained with science. Such as how do you do a replicated experiment that proves that magic mushrooms make you feel one with the earth to a p<0.05 significance level? (queuing Rogan in 3, 2, 1 . . .)

Problem with that is when religious wackjobs latch onto the shortfalls and limitations of science and use that to push magical thinking stories.
Religion works with mostly decent results the same way the BLM protests were mostly peaceful as long as you comply; I'll give you that. I don't think much science is coming from the Muslim world, and the small part of the Muslim world that's living in the Hindu world would probably tell you it sucks balls as an ethical framework.

Whackjobs don't latch onto shortfalls and limitations of science; the whole point of Faith/Belief is skipping that part.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
Some people need help.

Hopefully, the people helping have good ethos. And are not just out to fuck your wives and daughters.

Last edited:

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Religion works with mostly decent results the same way the BLM protests were mostly peaceful as long as you comply; I'll give you that. I don't think much science is coming from the Muslim world, and the small part of the Muslim world that's living in the Hindu world would probably tell you it sucks balls as an ethical framework.
agreed, although there was a time when engineering and math coming from the Muslim world was well ahead of its time. But yeah, over time, enough religious fanaticism can wipe out any #gains in the world of science.

wackjobs don't latch onto shortfalls and limitations of science; the whole point of Faith/Belief is skipping that part.
Agreed with the second sentence. As for the first part, see people like Bohter. For example, we can’t prove that life definitively exists outside of earth with 100% certainty (although we very well could in our lifetime). To a religious nut, that’s “proof” that the earth is it. Or when they say something like “Prove god doesn’t exist!”.

At which point you are no longer having a scientific discussion, although that irony is irrelevant to the person arguing about science from a religious standpoint.

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
Why do you go to Mexico for recreation? Not available in Oceanside? You know that you technically violated the in place rules for entry into Mexico on at least two separate occasions right? Europe too! I guess if one has lots of resources the rules are vague. I applaud you for coming to America penniless and amassing a fortune that allows you to travel when you want and where you want regardless of others that have a legitimate reason to travel and aren’t able to. You sir are a classic American success story.
Go to bed, you're drunk.

What rules have I violated dummy?

You think I swam across Rio Grande?

The border with Mexico is open for travel.

You should try it sometimes and maybe visit the country you so adore.

You are blabbering about me going to Baja to surf as a proof that I hate America and you moved to Mexico?

Bitter ex-pats who pretend to be the biggest Patriots are the worst.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
agreed, although there was a time when engineering and math coming from the Muslim world was well ahead of its time. But yeah, over time, enough religious fanaticism can wipe out any #gains in the world of science.

Agreed with the second sentence. As for the first part, see people like Bohter. For example, we can’t prove that life definitively exists outside of earth with 100% certainty (although we very well could in our lifetime). To a religious nut, that’s “proof” that the earth is it. Or when they say something like “Prove god doesn’t exist!”.

At which point you are no longer having a scientific discussion, although that irony is irrelevant to the person arguing about science from a religious standpoint.
I think the Bohter example is basically self-serving performance art or some sh!t. He might have said "prove God doesn't exist" I don't really know. "At which point you are no longer having a scientific discussion" yes I agree but that's not someone latching onto a shortcoming of science, that's someone latching onto the crazy tit and gulping enough milk to go listen to Ludwig Van and get into some of the old ultraviolence (Bohter if you're reading this and offended, it's a movie reference, not an insinuation that you're prone to violence).

One time, he tried to say NASA doesn't use it in its models, based on like a user manual for a processor, and I had to go do the homework of reading the thing, and highlighting the part where it point-blank says the curve is real and NASA's 80s-gen computers couldn't crunch that in real time and crosswind was the biggest deal for that navionics operation and so discarding it completely and instead basically refreshing the planar coordinates on the millisecond level resulted in satisfactory course corrections.

Another time, he said something about it not being in ballistics and trajectories, so I went and dug up a WW1-era artillery manual where they had corrections for Earth's curvature.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
^^^^Agreed on all the above. To clarify, I don’t mean to say that not being able to prove/disprove the existence of God or alien life to be a shortfall of science, more that there are limitations on what can actually be measured. Plus the whole “can’t prove a negative thing” and the rigor at which theories must be tested before they are widely accepted, let alone considered natural laws.

Therefore the JonaBohtbrahs of the world cling to those limitations as proof for their magical thinking. Cuz they dumb.

Reactions: afoaf

Billy Ocean

Duke status
Jan 7, 2017
^^^^Agreed on all the above. To clarify, I don’t mean to say that not being able to prove/disprove the existence of God or alien life to be a shortfall of science, more that there are limitations on what can actually be measured. Plus the whole “can’t prove a negative thing” and the rigor at which theories must be tested before they are widely accepted, let alone considered natural laws.

Therefore the JonaBohtbrahs of the world cling to those limitations as proof for their magical thinking. Cuz they dumb.
what if the whole existence vs non existence is a man made fiction designed to get around fundamental limits to our conceptual thinking?

the idea of god transcends categories

Reactions: the janitor

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
I think the Bohter example is basically self-serving performance art or some sh!t. He might have said "prove God doesn't exist" I don't really know. "At which point you are no longer having a scientific discussion" yes I agree but that's not someone latching onto a shortcoming of science, that's someone latching onto the crazy tit and gulping enough milk to go listen to Ludwig Van and get into some of the old ultraviolence (Bohter if you're reading this and offended, it's a movie reference, not an insinuation that you're prone to violence).

One time, he tried to say NASA doesn't use it in its models, based on like a user manual for a processor, and I had to go do the homework of reading the thing, and highlighting the part where it point-blank says the curve is real and NASA's 80s-gen computers couldn't crunch that in real time and crosswind was the biggest deal for that navionics operation and so discarding it completely and instead basically refreshing the planar coordinates on the millisecond level resulted in satisfactory course corrections.

Another time, he said something about it not being in ballistics and trajectories, so I went and dug up a WW1-era artillery manual where they had corrections for Earth's curvature.
You guys are talking about him so mission accomplished.

He is human and he needs to be loved . . . .