The Jordan Peterson Thread

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
what if cognitive dissonance is a man made fiction?

you see where I’m going here

answers for everything with zero thinking involved
Your response is a good example of you trying to avoid cognitive dissonance.

I get it.

I don't like it neither

Last edited:

Oakleys_N_Zinka

Miki Dora status
Oct 7, 2005
Any serious philosophical discussion bumps up against the transcendent. The cynical 17 year old punk rocker insisting that God is an imaginary ghost in the sky used by the powerful to oppress the masses is the opposite of the evangelical true believer. But they’re on the same coin. Put the coexist sticker on your Prius and abide by it.

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Any serious philosophical discussion bumps up against the transcendent. The cynical 17 year old punk rocker insisting that God is an imaginary ghost in the sky used by the powerful to oppress the masses is the opposite of the evangelical true believer. But they’re on the same coin. Put the coexist sticker on your Prius and abide by it.
The Evangelical true believer is trying to legislate Evangelical Christianity's beliefs. Mike Pence is actually a thing.

The cynical 17 year old has a coexist sticker on their prius and doesn't want Intelligent Design in textbooks or Jeebus in Court decisions.

The 17 year old is a brick in the Illuminati pyramid or a scale on the eagle's talons.

The true believer is "In God We Trust" and is obsessed with the prevalence of Jewish people in US media. And behind the brick is the pizzagate basement, the WMD, and Hillary's emails.

mundus

Duke status
Feb 26, 2018
I think it's weird how your Duffy's worry about the lefty riots they see on IG, but the crazy freedom caucus making policy at the highest level don't represent a threat.
No matter how much they deny it, they are rightwing partisans.

crustBrother

Kelly Slater status
Apr 23, 2001
Your response is a good example of you trying to avoid cognitive dissonance.

I get it.

I don't like it neither
Me neither. And I try to adapt and change my thinking to reduce it. But at the end of the day, reality is a cognitive construct - an imperfect model of the universe in which we exist - and bound to contain some inconsistencies Oh well.

Reactions: Billy Ocean

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
what if the whole existence vs non existence is a man made fiction designed to get around fundamental limits to our conceptual thinking?

the idea of god transcends categories
this makes you more of a philosopher than 95% of the names people dropped
in the favorite philosopher thread

enframed

Tom Curren status
Apr 11, 2006
Del Boca Vista, Phase III
Disagree.

God is not a necessary for the transcendent (and vice versa) and could be (probably has been) argued that the God of Xian evangelicals doesn't fit into the category of transcendent, since so many of them profess to experience it.

There are also those who would say that any discussion of God isn't serious philosophical discussion.

the idea of god transcends categories
Nah, it doesn't. If you can make an utterance about it, it fits into some category.

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.

plasticbertrand

Duke status
Jan 12, 2009
Whatever floats your boat, man. But, IMHO, the most rational position would be to simply acknowledge that you don't know.
I didn't claim I have all the answers.

I just said it's proposterous to make up a fairytale because you don't have an answer.

Autoprax

Duke status
Jan 24, 2011
Vagina Point
“Peterson is not the leading public intellectual of our age… much of what he says is not terribly original.”

I agree with this.

Boot strapping is good.

But it can't fix everything

kidfury

Duke status
Oct 14, 2017
below the line comments are more instructive than the actual article.
like this one? - "You worry about what may one day happen. Do you worry equally about what IS happening? The Neo-Marxist/postmodernist consensus in university humanities departments is spawning a generation of people who believe in a whole range of things, from identity politics, to ‘white privilege’ to anti-capitalism. These ideas all correlate strongly with past movements and modes of thinking which concluded in the totalitarianism and genocidal violence of communism."

• Haha
Reactions: plasticbertrand

freeride76

Michael Peterson status
Dec 31, 2009
Lennox Head.
I was more referring to the general tone and quantity of commentary in favour of Peterson.

Personally I think he's basically dispensing fortune cookie style self help slathered in neo-Jungian gobbledygook.

I can't find anything alt-right or fascist leaning in his views, although this excellent contra-Peterson review does detail the grounds for doing so.

Reactions: Sharkbiscuit