The Great Unbiased Wetsuit Review Thread

Jan 2, 2024
Maui
Oh, wait a minute. They do make a long arm short leg version. Thats one i havnt looked at before. The isurus suits are pretty good?

Jan 2, 2024
Maui
Isurus and Feral are the best IMO. Feral doesn't make zipless tho
I looked at Feral and the only short leg long sleeve they make is a back zip which is a deal breaker for me. Leaves me looking at isurus, If i had money to light on fire 7till8, Or oneill hyperfreak but i heard the quality isnt great. Matuse i couldnt get to fit me well but the geoflex dante felt pretty good other than fit issues. The apollo i have some issues with in the neck close area with it pulling to 1 side so i sent it back. Tempted to try a MT apollo instead of M and see if that fixes it cause i liked the feel. Or order an isurus

Jan 2, 2024
Maui
And being on maui even in the winter all i wear is a springer. In the summer im in boardshorts and wetsuit top. If i really didnt like money id consider axxe but 625 seems steep for a springsuit

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
I picked up a pair of Vans MFeb booties. Sort of a default purchase since they were the only booty in my size that was in stock at store.

There is one weird design flaw. Other than this, they’re fine.

the heel’s pull tab is positioned almost exactly where the cuff of the wetsuit falls. So you don’t get a great seal, unless you tuck it up inside or leave it below. If you don’t pay attention it’s easy for the pull tab to be half-in half-out.

Oneills by comparison havethe tab lower on the bootie. No problems there.

oh and more design flaw: that giant fucking stripe. Why they gotta do that??

View attachment 172529View attachment 172530

At least they added the strap.
It never made sense to me not to have one.

Dec 11, 2021
For anyone interested in the new vissla x axxe New Seas v-zip suit. I have had my first outing in it at the weekend.

I have the 5/4 hooded I got from entering the upcycling comp. I am surfing in the north sea scotland, sea teamp between 7 and 8 degrees celcious. I was in the water for around 3 hrs.

So it's definitely not the very wamest suit I have ever had. my last winter suit was a 6/5/4 need essentials hooded. But its sooo flexible around the shoulders I could swear I was in a summer suit. Compairing that to the needessentials its a different breed. I'd say the payoff beween warmth and flexibility is there, its about as cold as it gets here and I was happy enough for a decently long session.

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
Was it windy? A 3 hour session in 44 degree water is solid.

The deal breaker for me with these more flexible suits isn't so much the water temp but the outside temp and wind.

Seems like the more flexible, the more the wind cuts through them when it's cold and that's what really sends you home to a hot shower.

For anyone interested in the new vissla x axxe New Seas v-zip suit. I have had my first outing in it at the weekend.

I have the 5/4 hooded I got from entering the upcycling comp. I am surfing in the north sea scotland, sea teamp between 7 and 8 degrees celcious. I was in the water for around 3 hrs.

So it's definitely not the very wamest suit I have ever had. my last winter suit was a 6/5/4 need essentials hooded. But its sooo flexible around the shoulders I could swear I was in a summer suit. Compairing that to the needessentials its a different breed. I'd say the payoff beween warmth and flexibility is there, its about as cold as it gets here and I was happy enough for a decently long session.

daave

Gerry Lopez status
Dec 28, 2002
I got the v zip too. The entry is sick. Completely water tight. For a 5/4 warmth is decent. Flexy and comfortable around the shoulders. It does soak up a good amount of water so it gets a little heavy. For the price I paid I’m pretty happy.

Oct 25, 2019

The deal breaker for me with these more flexible suits isn't so much the water temp but the outside temp and wind.

Seems like the more flexible, the more the wind cuts through them when it's cold and that's what really sends you home to a hot shower.
Agreed.

I’ve done 2.5 hours in 48* water this winter in my feral 6mm, but only when not a biting wind (and I get cold easy).

That suit would be my gold standard if it had smooth skin chest and back, and some better seam sealing. Heck it’s kind of my gold standard as is.

Reactions: mundus
Dec 11, 2021

Yea have to agree it was definitely have to agree, Ive had another session in it. The water temp was similar but the air temp was warmer around 10 deg. I was in the suit for 4 hrs strong wind at points and I was toasty all day.

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
I’m 6’1 165lbs and got a MT but wish I did the LTS instead. I find the Isurus MT arms/legs a touch shorter than O’Neil MT.
isurus 3/2 + hood (no booties) was toasty in 58F water, mid 50s air. Had to pop off the hood after paddling back out to vent off the heat.

arms fit completely fine but legs could definitely use another inch of length to make it to my ankle bone. not a deal killer, really nice suit.

Reactions: MauiMax
Jan 2, 2024
Maui
Ride report after 2 surfs on the isurus. Best wetsuit I've worn so far. Fit me great. Maybe slightly tight in the shoulders but its still only 2 rides in. Definitely the warmest I've worn too. Wind doesn't make it in at all and was overheating a little bit on one surf. Also much easier to paddle in than the matuse i had. The rip curl e bomb might have been slightly more flexible but nowhere near as warm. Stocked