The Great Unbiased Wetsuit Review Thread

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
i definitely missed a couple sessions from cold but there really were only two cold weekends last year. i wore trunks and a top in february last year. weird year.
That's insane; I would be more cold in a trunks and top in February last year than I would a 3/2 and accessories right now. You sound more attuned to the air than the water.

This past swell was kind of a dud relative to what I expected. I thought there'd be days and days of shortboard surf everywhere but it was mostly grovel. Inside sandbars are still kind of meh, although slightly better than they were. I hope the next bump actually delivers.

EastCoastBrah

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 16, 2020
That's insane; I would be more cold in a trunks and top in February last year than I would a 3/2 and accessories right now. You sound more attuned to the air than the water.

This past swell was kind of a dud relative to what I expected. I thought there'd be days and days of shortboard surf everywhere but it was mostly grovel. Inside sandbars are still kind of meh, although slightly better than they were. I hope the next bump actually delivers.
i also have an injury that for some reason gloves really aggravate. just gonna try 3/2 boots for this upcoming swell. boots i dont mind too much.

the morning hide tide was bad this swell. no small wave high tide sandbar nearby. except pier. found a random shorebreakish sandbar breaking ok and had fun one day. the other days no good.

Reactions: Sharkbiscuit
Jan 2, 2024
Maui
wore the Colby+ 5/4 for the first time yesterday- air mid-40s, water 44. First yammy suit - way more stretchy than my Needs or Drylocks. Was plenty warm. The suit fits well and feels more flexible than my Xcel 3/2 comp. Unexpectedly the suit dried fast. I rinsed it out when I got home and it was dry in a few hrs. My other 5/4s take overnight to be completely dry.. I have suspicions that the wrists and ankles will stretch out fairly quickly. It will be interesting to see if it handles proper cold, but for the price point a satisfied customer.
Has anyone else tried the colby? How is the fit compared to other wetsuits? I had a rip curl medium that fit great. I tried Matuse and cant fit a medium and large is too big in the shoulders so i end up with rubbing and bunching in the armpits. For the price the colby suits look worth a try.

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
My buddy has the super discounted colby and he loves it. flexible and warm and no issues whatsoevr. It's first season though.

SBD suit update: I have that thin run 4/3 from matuse that was an error at the factory. Got a free 4/3 (proper) because of it. The thinner mistake suit has actually been great for dawn patrols this winter. Stitching came undone on knee and I caught it with my hand on the board peeling it really far. Sent in for repair and they're taking care of it (two year warranty). Been stuck in my 4/3 matuse and just cooking. Kinda my only option cause no doubt I'd be cold in my hyperfreak 3/2.

Hooded 3mm isurus isn't getting much love this winter but its my favorite. I'll be getting another isurus next year for sure.

Haven't been thrilled with the seam/taping quality of either brand but based on people I know they seem to be one offs. Both brands have excellent customer service.

For those interested in Matuse, just save money and get a Feral.

Reactions: oeste858

slipped_disc

Billy Hamilton status
Jun 27, 2019
I picked up a pair of Vans MFeb booties. Sort of a default purchase since they were the only booty in my size that was in stock at store.

There is one weird design flaw. Other than this, they’re fine.

the heel’s pull tab is positioned almost exactly where the cuff of the wetsuit falls. So you don’t get a great seal, unless you tuck it up inside or leave it below. If you don’t pay attention it’s easy for the pull tab to be half-in half-out.

Oneills by comparison havethe tab lower on the bootie. No problems there.

oh and more design flaw: that giant fucking stripe. Why they gotta do that??

121F784F-E048-48D9-8BC2-84D26C4B5B19.jpeg65BDD666-3A83-44F5-A20C-08240E35CD25.jpeg

Last edited:

EastCoastBrah

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 16, 2020
Anyone know if the sizing has changed on xcels boots? Mine are like 8 years old so planning to order a new pair online. sizing so important on boots.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
The focus on "excellent customer service" is interesting.

If contacting customer service is a common thing it's because the suits are poorly constructed.

And that means time out of the water while your suit is getting fixed.

Makes more since for it to be done right the first time.

EastCoastBrah

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 16, 2020

If contacting customer service is a common thing it's because the suits are poorly constructed.

i was kind of thinking the same. never contacted xcels customer service.

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
I've gotten my last few Xcels crotches re-sealed since Xcel seems to have forgotten how to properly seal and tape a crotch in the last few years.

They have a good repair policy and are pretty quick, but unfortunately, the crotches in question still leaked when I got them back. My old Xcels used much wider pieces of tape in this area which seem to have worked a lot better. No more Xcels, except for warmer weather comp suits where I'm not going to be sitting in a pool of freezing water literally freezing my balls off.

i was kind of thinking the same. never contacted xcels customer service.

Reactions: EastCoastBrah

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego

isurus customer service contacted me immediately after I ordered. human consultation on sizing. I did not ask for support but they offered it anyway.

Afterwords I wondered how many returned suits were coming back ruined before that became their normal.

Reactions: encladd

EastCoastBrah

Legend (inyourownmind)
Nov 16, 2020
I've gotten my last few Xcels crotches re-sealed since Xcel seems to have forgotten how to properly seal and tape a crotch in the last few years.

They have a good repair policy and are pretty quick, but unfortunately, the crotches in question still leaked when I got them back. My old Xcels used much wider pieces of tape in this area which seem to have worked a lot better. No more Xcels, except for warmer weather comp suits where I'm not going to be sitting in a pool of freezing water literally freezing my balls off.
bummer. i haven't bought one from them in a few years but always had good luck

menobrah

Gerry Lopez status
Feb 28, 2021
I have pissed out the crotch of a few excel drylocks over the years...once the Uriiiine eats through the crotch not much you can do to fix em.

Jan 2, 2024
Maui
Weird question. I seem to like the feel of wetsuits like the matuse dante where the "hood" for lack of a better term even on a non hooded wetsuit pulls over from the back and is attached at the back. Does anyone else have a problem with suits like for example the colby + or new matuse apollo having that part as part of the shoulder make it pull from that side? I have a dante but the fit in the chest is a bit big so it rubs in my armpit. The apollo has a heavy pull towards the side on my neck so i might try the same size but tall version and im curious if anyone else had this issue

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
Weird question. I seem to like the feel of wetsuits like the matuse dante where the "hood" for lack of a better term even on a non hooded wetsuit pulls over from the back and is attached at the back. Does anyone else have a problem with suits like for example the colby + or new matuse apollo having that part as part of the shoulder make it pull from that side? I have a dante but the fit in the chest is a bit big so it rubs in my armpit. The apollo has a heavy pull towards the side on my neck so i might try the same size but tall version and im curious if anyone else had this issue
think I know what you're saying. I sometimes got aches in my left shoulder/neck, the side where the chest zip closes and cinches. I'm using a zipperless suit now which is much better. I don't recall having the issue with the Dante I had, which as you noted, has symmetrical velcroed flaps and no cinch on one side.

Reactions: MauiMax
Jan 2, 2024
Maui
think I know what you're saying. I sometimes got aches in my left shoulder/neck, the side where the chest zip closes and cinches. I'm using a zipperless suit now which is much better. I don't recall having the issue with the Dante I had, which as you noted, has symmetrical velcroed flaps and no cinch on one side.
Sounds like im not the only one. What zipperless are you using? Ive used the rip curl but dont want to any more. Buell fits me alright as well. Im looking for a 2mm springsuit.

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015
Sounds like im not the only one. What zipperless are you using? Ive used the rip curl but dont want to any more. Buell fits me alright as well. Im looking for a 2mm springsuit.
@oeste858 is an isurus boi

this is what you want

I have the same suit, and it is money in spring thru fall in my area

Reactions: ChaseTMP
Jan 2, 2024
Maui
@oeste858 is an isurus boi

this is what you want

I have the same suit, and it is money in spring thru fall in my area
[/QUOT

I wish they made a short leg long arm version. Im in hawaii and almost nobody wears long leg suits