The Great Unbiased Wetsuit Review Thread

need 4 speed

Phil Edwards status
Nov 1, 2003
SoCal
@oeste858 IMG_9064.jpeg
IMG_9063.jpeg
@sdsrfr
iirc about $500. Ryo has deep connection to Yamamoto growing surfing with one of the sons. So he does get top of the line rubber. He told me he has made trips to SD for measurements in the past, but doubtful it would be for one suit. I mentioned earlier in this thread. The 3/2 Cyber I have is warmer than my Reunion (I don’t notice in the 4/3) but it’s lined and much thicker. My 3/2 is good to just below 60, my 4/3 I’ve had in low 50’s was very comfortable. FWIW

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Matuse Chapter 1 top review:

Warmth: 11
Flex: -1

Matuse Dante 2mm spring review:

Warmth: 6? N/A 68-69 is not cold enough for me to assess a spring suit's warmth.
Flex: 2 Not as bad as the top?

I wore the top yesterday. It really is very warm. But if this thing is within arm's reach and I'm watching this year's editions of the New York Giants or the Florida Gators play and these are within range, the risk of me needing a new TV increases exponentially.

I wore the spring suit today. Normally I'd wear a top in these conditions. I definitely wasn't cold and it's not as much of a brick as the top, but you could still have pharaoh's slaves find good structural use for it in pyramid construction.

I'm going back to my 4-5+ year old Xcel longsleeve top with cracking smoothskin and my pretty ragged out 3-4+ year old Rip Curl e-bomb springsuit. And not looking back. Honestly if you ride a cruisey longboard and don't prioritize flex these would work. The top in particular is very warm. But if you ride a shortboard in quick-twitch Florida you're better off cutting these into pieces to weather-proof a dog house or some sh!t.

sushipop

Michael Peterson status
Feb 7, 2008
The Dagobah System
Tried on a Hooded R2 Patagucci today. Inner lining is waaaay better than previous generations. More silky, softer, easier on and off. All the hipsters whose beards they were harvesting are now out of work apparently. Flexibility felt fine for a thicker suit, but hard to judge how it’ll break in. Wrist gaskets were tight going on but easy taking it off. Sizing was accurate on the arm and leg length, but I’m heavier than what the size chart said for the MS and it fit well every where else. Had a some slight bunching on the inner thigh seam, but the du said they cut it like that for when you’re sitting on your board or crouching. Wasn’t major. Zipper was a PIA to engage initially. It’s a little smaller and has some neoprene behind it that made it cumbersome. But maybe something you’d get the hang of.
Observed updates are:
1) better inner lining
2) solid seams with no more weld on exterior. Panels are also cut differentl, especially around the legs and crotch.
3) No more flexy, different material on the ankles and wrists, it’s the same material all the way down and minimizes the seams.

Last edited:

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Tried on a Hooded R2 Patagucci today. Inner lining is waaaay better than previous generations. More silky, softer, easier on and off. All the hipsters whose beards they were harvesting are now out of work apparently. Flexibility felt fine for a thicker suit, but hard to judge how it’ll break in. Wrist gaskets were tight going on but easy taking it off. Sizing was accurate on the arm and leg length, but I’m heavier than what the size chart said for the MS and it fit well every where else. Had a some slight bunching on the inner thigh seam, but the du said they cut it like that for when you’re sitting on your board or crouching. Wasn’t major. Zipper was a PIA to engage initially. It’s a little smaller and has some neoprene behind it that made it cumbersome. But maybe something you’d get the hang of.
Observed updates are:
1) better inner lining
2) solid seams with no more weld on exterior. Panels are also cut differentl, especially around the legs and crotch.
3) No more flexy, different material on the ankles and wrists, it’s the same material all the way down and minimizes the seams.
glad to hear they did away with the recycled fiberglass liner and cheese cloth cuffs.

still, patagonia, never again.

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
Those Axxe suits look really nice.

Do you get custom fit somewhere (going to be in southern California over X-mas)? How much do they run for ones like in the Devon Howard post?

The more smoothie the better for me. In the northeast the wind seems to be a bigger factor than in CA.

Only downside to using that much smoothskin is it will nick from your nails in areas where you are pulling at the suit to remove, like the shoulders. As Aruka knows, it will also nick on brush and branches.

Best to keep the smoothie just front and back panels.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island

Do you get custom fit somewhere (going to be in southern California over X-mas)? How much do they run for ones like in the Devon Howard post?

The more smoothie the better for me. In the northeast the wind seems to be a bigger factor than in CA.
I have no idea how to get fit for Axxe, I'm sure if you email them they will arrange for you to meet with their measurement guy in SoCal.

Cyber, you'd go to the guy's house in San Clemente.

The smoothie is significantly warmer and will make loads of difference in your neck of the woods. It also dries faster. Just be sure to keep your nails trimmed and change on a mat.

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California

That Axxe is probably $900 US.

Cyber and Reunion are closer to $500-$600.

Dec 1, 2022
dropped a lot of coin on a custom Rash suit a few years back a 6/4-no hood and I surf all winter in the NE. It is by far and away the best winter suit I've owned. I've written this before but a waterproof neck (smooth skin cuff rolled over) with a separate hood + waterproof zipper allows almost zero water entry and dramatically increased movement in the neck and shoulders. If it's dead of winter I wear straps on wrist and ankles but even without water entry is minimal. Really hard to go back to an attached hood now, feels super restrictive. And the suit has lasted me three seasons and going strong-super well made and well worth the dosh

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
Rash is a terrible name for a wetsuit company.

dropped a lot of coin on a custom Rash suit a few years back a 6/4-no hood and I surf all winter in the NE. It is by far and away the best winter suit I've owned. I've written this before but a waterproof neck (smooth skin cuff rolled over) with a separate hood + waterproof zipper allows almost zero water entry and dramatically increased movement in the neck and shoulders. If it's dead of winter I wear straps on wrist and ankles but even without water entry is minimal. Really hard to go back to an attached hood now, feels super restrictive. And the suit has lasted me three seasons and going strong-super well made and well worth the dosh

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Always wondered about those rolled necks - they seem pretty standard on the Japan suits thicker than 4/3.

Jun 4, 2019

Not sure where in the NE you are, but Drift in RI and Maine Surfer's Union in ME sell Axxe customs (they have samples, take your measurements, etc.).

Reactions: Sharkbiscuit

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
In SD, I believe Birds used to do Axxe measurements. SurfRide in Solana Bch. too

edit: also, it’s pronounced “Lash” over there. No problem.

Last edited: