The Great Unbiased Wetsuit Review Thread

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
Axxe, reunion, cyber....

They've all been victims of poor marketing stateside.
I don't know if the licensees are bad at it, or if they can't really absorb more growth, but the fact that it's all virtually word of mouth and can't be ordered in a more streamlined way was a major flaw in the business model.

But like I said, maybe they are happy to still deliver a good product to those who want it, and don't want to sacrifice scale for customer satisfaction.

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
This suit looks sick.

1699296078677.png

rgruber

Miki Dora status
May 30, 2004
The copy is confusing as it says it's 3 mil hooded suit but if you unzip the hood it magically becomes a 4/3. Where does the extra 1 mil come from?

This suit looks sick.

View attachment 166115

• Haha
Reactions: ReForest

emmohl80

Nep status
Oct 17, 2010
This suit looks sick.

View attachment 166115
Looks like the back of the hood and neck attachment is velcro? Always wondered if anyone else made a their own version of this. I just ordered another Mutant. Haven't found a better option for the price, durability and flex.

Reactions: ReForest

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
Looks like the back of the hood and neck attachment is velcro? Always wondered if anyone else made a their own version of this. I just ordered another Mutant. Haven't found a better option for the price, durability and flex.
My mutant is leaking and out of warranty. Im going to fix it, but have my eye on another mutant or possibly something like the Nineplus. The smooth skin is pulling on my eye balls... lol. Looks good.

Reactions: emmohl80

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Axxe, reunion, cyber....

They've all been victims of poor marketing stateside.
I don't know if the licensees are bad at it, or if they can't really absorb more growth, but the fact that it's all virtually word of mouth and can't be ordered in a more streamlined way was a major flaw in the business model.

But like I said, maybe they are happy to still deliver a good product to those who want it, and don't want to sacrifice scale for customer satisfaction.
There’s at least two reasons for this.

First, they are using a better stitch that is more time-consuming.

OTR suits use a stitch that is fast but lesser quality. That is why they have to tape all the seams in the suit. It’s all about the bottom line and it’s cheaper to do a suit the factory charges less for and just tape the seams. Plus taped seems looks good from a marketing perspective.

Second, some of these companies are using neoprenes that are not made by Yammymoto or made by any other large manufacturer. And operations are small, employing Japanese people making first world wages in basic mom and pop settings.

So at the end of the day, it’s a quality versus quantity issue.

Reactions: PRCD and jkb

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
This suit looks sick.

View attachment 166115
I've had a nineplus. It was not a good suit. Leaked immediately on my first use.

Liquid tape on the internal seams that sucked.

• Wow
Reactions: Sauce and ReForest

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Needed a new hooded 4/3 since my Psychotech finally bit the dust after 4 or 5 Baja trips. Mostly due to a a minus tide barnacle debacle that involved slippery boulders, strong winds and post session jello legs. Basically, I fell on my ass and gashed up the suit pretty good.

Anyways, I got the hooded 4/3+ Hyperfreak as a replacement. I've had the 5/4 version before which was a good one but not quite up to keeping me warm on the coldest days of the year here at home. New LT 4/3 fits like a glove. Hopefully the lack of smoothskin isn't a deal breaker for the coldest, windiest days down South.

emmohl80

Nep status
Oct 17, 2010
Needed a new hooded 4/3 since my Psychotech finally bit the dust after 4 or 5 Baja trips. Mostly due to a a minus tide barnacle debacle that involved slippery boulders, strong winds and post session jello legs. Basically, I fell on my ass and gashed up the suit pretty good.

Anyways, I got the hooded 4/3+ Hyperfreak as a replacement. I've had the 5/4 version before which was a good one but not quite up to keeping me warm on the coldest days of the year here at home. New LT 4/3 fits like a glove. Hopefully the lack of smoothskin isn't a deal breaker for the coldest, windiest days down South.
I had ordered the hooded 4/3 HF this year.
The hooded version felt great when I put it on but got worried it would stretch out too much. Especially the hood.
Sent it back and ordered another Mutant. Curious to hear how it goes for ya.

Reactions: ReForest and Aruka

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
I had ordered the hooded 4/3 HF this year.
The hooded version felt great when I put it on but got worried it would stretch out too much. Especially the hood.
Sent it back and ordered another Mutant. Curious to hear how it goes for ya.
I've been wearing the 5/4 Psychotech for years. The most recent version has a very snug hood that is borderline too tight even after many sessions. I was thankful that the HF did not seem to have this problem.

Looking around online it appears that the 4/3 Psychotech hooded is no longer even a thing? So, I guess that makes the Mutant the most premium 4/3 hooded Oneill option.

I've never tried the Mutant. If the water is warm enough to go hoodless for me I'll usually opt for a 3/2.

tedshred5

Michael Peterson status
Aug 5, 2015

emmohl80

Nep status
Oct 17, 2010
I've been wearing the 5/4 Psychotech for years. The most recent version has a very snug hood that is borderline too tight even after many sessions. I was thankful that the HF did not seem to have this problem.

Looking around online it appears that the 4/3 Psychotech hooded is no longer even a thing? So, I guess that makes the Mutant the most premium 4/3 hooded Oneill option.

I've never tried the Mutant. If the water is warm enough to go hoodless for me I'll usually opt for a 3/2.
Our water temps can be pretty cold with warm air temps in spring so I like the option. Plus I hate having alot of suits.

Reactions: Aruka

ReForest

Michael Peterson status
Oct 7, 2020
I've had a nineplus. It was not a good suit. Leaked immediately on my first use.

Liquid tape on the internal seams that sucked.
Dang. That sucks. I see Ben (the nineplus rep) all around oside and he has such great stuff to say about them. Bummer.
How long ago did you have your experience with the suit?

ShiverMeTimbers

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Mar 21, 2006
Gig Harbor
www.peistcharters.com

Love the Mutant. I've had two of them, they last forever and the versatility is great. Agree that the 5/4 Psychotech's hood is way too short though. Thinking of having mine altered because my giraffe neck is scrunched every time I wear it.

Reactions: emmohl80 and sdsrfr

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Love the Mutant. I've had two of them, they last forever and the versatility is great. Agree that the 5/4 Psychotech's hood is way too short though. Thinking of having mine altered because my giraffe neck is scrunched every time I wear it.
mine doesn't feel too short, just too tight like it's crushing my ears. probably my 7th Psychotech and the first one to feel this way.