The Great Unbiased Wetsuit Review Thread

silentbutdeadly

Duke status
Sep 26, 2005
Tower 13
I guess other parts of the body may affect it but I'm in between 6'0 and 6'1 and the LT doesn't seem too long at all and it's supposed to go up to 6'3"

toowalled

Nep status
Jul 3, 2014
Winter approaches.

Waiting until the typical complaints start rolling in.

The suit already is super leaky
the suit is not warm
the suit flushes so bad
the suit fit weird at xyz,
the quality has changed for the worse
etc

My personal favorite:"I love my cheap generic brand suit!!!">>>1 month later>>>"Well, the honeymoon is over..."

Or the guy who buys $600 worth of "great deal" wetsuits over the course of the season and is disappointed in all of them

:roflmao:

The fact this thread has gone to 230 pages is a testament to how shitty most OTR suits are.

There's a bunch of people doing custom suits in CA now, it really is a no brainer if you surf more than once a week.
I need a new wetsuit ,who does custom suits? How long does it take to get a cyber made ?

need 4 speed

Phil Edwards status
Nov 1, 2003
SoCal
I need a new wetsuit ,who does custom suits? How long does it take to get a cyber made ?
If you're in North OC area Ryo (Reunion)can measure you at Pureglass. I know he travels south on occasion to North SD. Cyber cut was a ball crusher for me. Cyber are warmer being heavily lined. For me my Runions: 3/2 good down to about 58°. 4/3 good low 50's. I don't like fuzzy liners below the elbow or knee (like jkb)as that tends to wick cold water up the suit. Last I ordered from Ryo took almost 3months. I would also suggest asking for snug fit at neck,wrist, and ankle.

Last edited:

need 4 speed

Phil Edwards status
Nov 1, 2003
SoCal
I ordered two, For me, they rode up and were unbearable in the nether region. I'm sure if I would've worked with them some more I could have worked that out. The Cyber rubber (Reunion too) is exceptional. Cyber were easier on and off. I have a 4/3 lightly used that would probably fit you ;)

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Cyber - send an email and ask.
They usually have some OTRs in stock they can tailor fit.
I am waiting on a custom right now and the wait time was 1.5 - 2 months.

Off the top of my head locally there's also Reunion and Jonesea, can't vouch for either of them though. 7till8 too.

Does Aleeda in HB do personal customs? If they did I'd check them out too before buying any 3/2 or more OTR.

Beyond that I've always wondered if there's any guys making freedive suits that also do surf suits. I know the guys who are really into freediving love customs.

The bottom line is wetsuit warmth and durability is ultimately all about fit. Proper fit means your seams last longer and your neoprene stretches less. Less stretching means more warmth and more durability. And your suit flushes less.

Also the warmth of the neoprene itself is all about thickness. The race to the bottom paper thin 3/2s that manufacturers have been pushing are not as warm, period. It's a fact of physics, and it's why you see people shivering in 3/2s when it's 62 degrees.

Caveat here is if you don't do a good rinse of your suit and/or dry in the sun don't waste your time going custom because your suit is screwed either way. Just buy a new one every year instead.

Last edited:
Reactions: jkb and toowalled
Jan 13, 2021
How did the feral and isurus go?
The Feral and Isurus have held up great. The seems in the Isurus started to leak about around the 2 year mark, and the Feral has a small tear by chest entry zipper, but given how many uses I have put them through, they both have held up great. I would certainly buy either again. The Feral would be ranked slightly higher IMO due to cost and the entry zipper being slightly more user friendly.

Reactions: slipped_disc

Sharkbiscuit

Duke status
Aug 6, 2003
Jacksonville Beach
Sale OTR is the best way. There is no way I'm spending $650 plus for a 5/4 when I can get a on sale Xcel, Rip, or Onell for $250. But I make very little money but maybe you ballers don't care
Brah half this board is in NCSD. They're trying to tell themselves 3/2 drylocks with accessories aren't the answer until it's under 50. This is custom tailored yamamoto copium. Accepting that they haven't had a good run since January and it's so packed they're sitting 4x more than they used to is pain they cannot face.

Havoc

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise
interested to try the new colby+ yamamoto stuff if it fits like oneill.

went down the custom japanese wetsuit hole before most on here even began to surf. wore future wetsuits back then. all these new school japanese suits look great but at the price point, don't think it is worth it. better to just buy a new suit each year and have a couple in the rotation.

Aug 8, 2006
OC, CA

went down the custom japanese wetsuit hole before most on here even began to surf. wore future wetsuits back then. all these new school japanese suits look great but at the price point, don't think it is worth it. better to just buy a new suit each year and have a couple in the rotation.
Yeah, I'm curious about the Colby+ too, Has anyone tried the Yamamoto yet?

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC
Want to try Colby+. Looks promising, and price cannot be beat. Just don’t want to be the Guinea pig.

JDJ

Miki Dora status
Mar 1, 2014
The OC

Where I’m at. Just get lower end flexible O’Neill suits. Wear the 4/3 in winter and then in the summer when it leaks and start again the following year. I can’t stomach expensive wetsuits.

It might be different if I lived somewhere truly cold.