The Corona Cuisine Thread

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
That cast iron grill pan thing....get out the kettle grill, fire it up, put the cast iron grill pan on the BBQ grill, toss on the chick, cover the kettle grill for the 20 minutes, open, flip the chicken thighs, cover for the 15 minutes, test for doneness if you must, and there you go.

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009
Rendered chicken skin in a cast iron pan is almost as good as bacon.
my brother taught me that a couple of Thanksgivings ago....tossed the turkey skin into the oven for a few minutes, it came out crisp as chips and twice as good.

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
my new favorite at the sushi joint is salmon skin handrolls

chicharrones!

If you haven't had chicken skin yakitori, you're missing out. Best part next to the chicken oysters for yakitori.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Making "'Anna-damma" bread. A corneal/corn flower/wheat flour based bread with black-strap molasses.

Yeast is proofing right now.....the kitchen smells a little like hot buttered rum.

Edit 1:

Hour later, bread looks a pumpernickel-ish due to the black-strap molasses, starting to rise, kinda sticky dough makes me think I should have added more flour, but am trusting with the recipe....James Beard wouldn't steer me wrong.

Edit 2:

Another hour and it should be ready for the first punch downView attachment 91473

Edit 3:

2nd rise complete, into the oven

View attachment 91488

"Anna-damma" done and the home smells better than freshly baked cookies.

1590190264770.png

HarryLopez

Phil Edwards status
Jan 17, 2007
Neck deep
I’ve rediscovered bone in skin on chicken thighs. I must’ve forgotten they existed since boneless skinless thighs are easier to buy or at least prominent in most stores. With the boneless skinless chicken getting sold out, all of a sudden I found this to be the only option.

Now I don’t think I’ll ever go back! I put the grill pan in the oven while preheating to 400. Rub with poultry seasoning, onion salt and kosher salt. Cook it skin side down for 20 minutes, then flip for another 15
View attachment 91472
I like to de-bone the thighs, then cut into pieces for karaage chicken. Marinate, then potato starch, then flour. Fry at 350ish. Thigh pieces mo'tendah.

HarryLopez

Phil Edwards status
Jan 17, 2007
Neck deep
If you haven't had chicken skin yakitori, you're missing out. Best part next to the chicken oysters for yakitori.
I agree. I took a water polo team to Japan for 8 days. We home-stayed with the host teams. Day 1, my host takes me to dinner at a chicken yakitori restaurant. Every piece of the chicken was represented on a stick in the many courses. The cartilage was freakin tasty. It was bonkers good!

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
Wife hooked up some ground turkey tacos. BBQ sauce, onion, garlic, ginger, pasilla pepper. Simple pico. Her taco shells are the best part. Crisped in coconut oil. Sriracha Mayo. Put some grated cheese on bottom under the meat. That last bite or 2 is like a mini quesadilla surprise. 20200521_175010.jpg

Reactions: enframed

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
coconut oil...that's interesting

frying the corn tortillas means it's fancy taco night in our house!

Wife hooked up some ground turkey tacos. BBQ sauce, onion, garlic, ginger, pasilla pepper. Simple pico. Her taco shells are the best part. Crisped in coconut oil. Sriracha Mayo. Put some grated cheese on bottom under the meat. That last bite or 2 is like a mini quesadilla surprise. View attachment 91493

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
They are the only way to go. I do them in a cast iron pan (nor ridges) for 10-15 skin side down, then flip, then finish in the oven. Crispy, seasoned skin. If I'm lazy, I just season them, oil them, and roast em in the oven, skin side up. Real high temp, then a bit lower (425 keeps my kitchen from smelling up my apartment, but 450 is better). The best part is that you basically can't overcook them. I've cooked em for 35 minutes, I've cooked them for an hour. Most of the time I don't time it anymore, I just cook whatever else I need to cook and when it's done, the chicken comes out. They're fine. Most forgiving thing ever.

The problem was, I would end up eating all the leftover chicken skin because it wasn't as gratifying after being microwaved the next day at work. Since I have no microwave here, the leftovers crisp up in the oven just fine.

The other day I made chicken enchiladas and cooked the chicken off in the instantpot, so I didn't really have a need for the skin. I decided to cook the skins off in the oven and make chicken "chicharrones" to sprinkle on top.
Wow I don’t think Ive seen this much consensus on erBB in years. bone in, skin on chicken thighs. Several times a month for us probably. Bell and Evans. Several different easy and yummy ways. Marinades, broilers to crisp that skin ( cast iron great too, but im lazy about cooking now.) really no bad way to eat em. minced rosemary crispy skin nom nom

Last edited:
Reactions: $kully and Aruka

Leaverite

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Dec 19, 2017
Central Cal
Beef Stroganoff.

One of my moms old recipes. A 1/2 lb of sliced stir fry top sirloin strips. Brown them up in a frying pan. Remove. Add in a 1/2 cup of sliced green onions. A cup+ of sliced mushrooms. A cup of white wine. Let the veggies and shrooms simmer and cook down. Add a couple of scoops of fresh sour cream when reduced. Stir it all up. If you have browned the meat thoroughly, that all mixes in.

Add the beef back into the mix. Stir and heat on low.

Cook up a cup or two of rice.

Plate your rice and spoon the Strogy on top.

grapedrink

Duke status
May 21, 2011
A Beach
Beef Stroganoff.

One of my moms old recipes. A 1/2 lb of sliced stir fry top sirloin strips. Brown them up in a frying pan. Remove. Add in a 1/2 cup of sliced green onions. A cup+ of sliced mushrooms. A cup of white wine. Let the veggies and shrooms simmer and cook down. Add a couple of scoops of fresh sour cream when reduced. Stir it all up. If you have browned the meat thoroughly, that all mixes in.

Add the beef back into the mix. Stir and heat on low.

Cook up a cup or two of rice.

Plate your rice and spoon the Strogy on top.
ErBB tradition right there. No trip to Baja required.

• Haha
Reactions: $kully