Make Gordon Ramsey proud erbb...

Quarantine Kitchen
Beef Wellington
Ingredients:
For the duxelles
1 oz. (2 Tbs.) unsalted butter, softened
1 Tbs. vegetable or sunflower oil
1/4 cup finely chopped shallots
1-1/2 cups finely chopped portobello mushrooms (from 4 large caps; remove the stems and gills before chopping, preferably in a food processor)
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 Tbs. finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
For the Madeira sauce
6 cups beef stock, or store-bought
1 cup Madeira
1 oz. (2 Tbs.) cold unsalted butter, diced
For the crêpes
2-1/4 oz. (1/2 cup) unbleached all-purpose flour
1/8 tsp. kosher salt
2 large eggs
3/4 cup whole milk
1 oz. (2 Tbs.) unsalted butter
Or buy a package from the supermarket
For assembly
3 lb. center-cut beef tenderloin, trimmed, side muscle removed
1 tsp. vegetable or sunflower oil
2/3 cup chicken liver pâté, or store-bought
1 lb. puff pastry, store-bought, thawed overnight in the refrigerator if frozen
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1 tsp. unsalted butter, softened

Instructions:
Assemble and bake the Wellington. Remove the beef from the refrigerator about an hour ahead so it has time to lose its chill. Pat the beef dry and season all over with salt and pepper. Heat the oil in a 12-inch skillet over high heat until very hot. Sear the beef until it is evenly browned all over (don’t worry about the ends), 2 to 3 minutes per side. Transfer the beef to a baking sheet and cool.In a medium bowl, mash the pâté and the duxelles with a fork until they form a soft paste.Lay 4 crêpes on a clean work surface, overlapping them just enough to give you a 13×13-inch roughly square surface. Dot the pâté mixture over the crêpes, then use an offset spatula to spread it evenly across the crêpes’ surface.
Place the tenderloin in the center of the crêpes and carefully wrap them around the filet, pressing and molding them into place. Trim off any excess crêpe at the ends.
If using store-bought puff pastry that’s packaged as 2 sheets, fuse the sheets together by slightly overlapping them and lightly rolling over the seam until adhered.

On a lightly floured surface, roll out the puff pastry to a 13×16-inch rectangle (for store-bought puff, roll in the direction of the seam).
Transfer the wrapped beef to the center of the pastry and tuck any crêpes that have come loose back into place. Bring the pastry up around the beef, smoothing out any air pockets. Brush some of the beaten egg along the bottom edge of the seam and then press gently to seal; trim off any excess. Seal the pastry similarly at the ends.
Lightly grease a large baking sheet with the butter. Lift the Wellington onto the sheet, seam side down. Refrigerate for at least 15 minutes and up to 3 hours. (If refrigerating longer than 1 hour, let the Wellington sit at room temperature for 1 hour before baking.)

At least 20 minutes before baking, position a rack in the center of the oven and heat the oven to 475°F.
Brush the Wellington with the remaining beaten egg. Using a sharp knife, score the surface of the pastry with diagonal lines, being careful not to cut all the way through the pastry. Put the Wellington in the oven and immediately reduce the temperature to 425°F. Roast for 10 minutes, then reduce the heat to 400°F and roast until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the center of the Wellington registers 135°F for medium rare, 20 to 25 minutes. Transfer to a carving board and let the Wellington rest for 10 minutes.

Meanwhile, finish the sauce: Heat the sauce in a 12-inch skillet over medium heat. When it begins to simmer, reduce the heat to low and whisk in the butter a few pieces at a time. Do not allow it to boil. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Thickly slice the Wellington and serve it with the sauce.

Preparation To Make the duxellesHeat the butter and oil in a 10-inch skillet over low heat. Add the shallots and cook, stirring often, until translucent, 3 to 4 minutes. Add the mushrooms, stir well, and raise the heat to medium. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms have cooked down to a thick, almost black mixture, about 15 minutes. Season with a pinch of salt and a few grinds of pepper. Stir in the parsley; then transfer to a small bowl and cool completely. (The duxelles can be refrigerated for up to 2 days or frozen for up to 2 months.)

Begin the Madeira sauceBring 6 cups of the stock to a boil in a 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat and boil until reduced to 2 cups, 20 to 25 minutes. Add the Madeira and continue boiling until the liquid is again reduced to 2 cups, about 5 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. (The sauce can be prepared to this point up to 1 day ahead. Finish the sauce just before serving the Wellington.)

Make the crêpesIn a large bowl, whisk the flour and salt. Make a well in the center, break in the eggs, and add 1/4 cup of the milk. Gently whisk the eggs and milk, gradually incorporating the flour. Slowly whisk in the remaining milk to make a smooth batter. (The batter can be covered and set aside for up to an hour at this point.)Melt the butter in a 10-inch skillet over medium-low heat. Swirl the pan to coat with the butter; pour the excess butter out into a small bowl. Whisk 1 Tbs. of the melted butter into the batter. Reserve the rest for greasing the pan between crêpes. Increase the heat to medium high and pour 1/4 cup of the batter into the skillet. Swirl so the batter thinly and evenly coats the base of the pan.Cook until the crêpe is spotted with brown on the underside, about 1 minute, then flip and cook the other side until lightly browned, 30 seconds to 1 minute more. Repeat with the remaining batter, greasing the pan off the heat as necessary. Transfer the crêpes to a plate, separating them with sheets of parchment, and cool. You’ll need 4 crêpes.

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Shells on the grill with Bullshit seasoning. It’s a thing and oddly satisfying to use in a time like this. Delicious too. Not dissimilar from mccormicks Montreal steak. I know there are more rigorous steak methods but for me right now, the simpler the better. Season and sit for an hour, Super hot grill for a few minutes per side. using proper prime from a butcher makes a huge difference. buttery mashed cauliflower up on de side

Reactions: $kully

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Blackened tri-tip marinade on the cast iron grill in the kettle grill....seared first, then placed on iron then covered about 20 mins, flipped and 8 more minutes covered, then meat thermometer says done:

1590538262267.png

1590538299517.png

Meal for three nights.

First night with potatoes and broccoli.

Second night was sliced and pan re-heated with onion and peppers, fajita style.

Tonight will be in tacos with side of refried beans.

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
Goddamn that looks good. I don't think I've had (fruit) pie in almost a year.
1 Buy pie crust/dough at store, put in fridge once home

2 Slice up fruit, leave berries whole

3 Mix together three or so cups of fruit, about 1/2 to 1 cup of sugar, tablespoon of cornstarch (more if less sugar is used), tablespoon of candied ginger, teaspoon of cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon allspice (best with stone fruit), and maybe small amount of ground clove, 1-2 tablespoon salted butter chopped into small tiny parts - so it needs to be nearly frozen first, juice of a lime (lemon can work)

4 Lay out pie crust in pie tin, spoon in mixture. Cover with another layer of pre-made pie crust, pinch edges together, slit top, bang in the preheated oven, cook for enough time to get pie crust cooked, so 350 F at 40 minutes, adjust as needed

5 Let cool to just above room temp before eating so it sets up and avoid burned mouth from molten fruity delicious glop.

Reactions: Joshua2415

ElOgro

Duke status
Dec 3, 2010
How long till done?

I like to soak the pinto beans overnight, then into the pressure cooker with some flavorings, and 15 minutes or so, yum!
Yeah, soak over night. They take around 2 hours like that. That’s an Aztec pressure cooker. The pressure cooker you’re talking about is an Aztec microwave. We add sea salt when they’re done.

My mother in law made that to show her great grandchildren how it was done back in the olden days. Drift wood for fuel.

That bread looks #1 boss. We’re gonna try the ice cream with the kids too.

Lots of good stuff here from all over.

Nothing from Eunice yet?

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
The ice cream in a glass jar thing...for your climate, I think you are really gonna need to put the jar in the freezer first and then do the shaking thing in the AM before it gets too warm out.

I should make some this weekend.

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009
I'm going to try using shortribs this week.
I did shortribs in the instant pot last night. Got a late start but they came out alright.

3lbs short ribs
500ml of cheap cab for cooking
Chicken stock (was out of beef)
Tomato paste
Fresh garlic head halved
Fresh oregano, rosemary & thyme
Chopped onion
Chopped carrot
Chopped celery
Bay leaf
Salt & pepper

Browned the beef on sauté function. Removed the beef and sautéed the onions, carrots and celery. Added wine and tomato paste. Let it reduce on sauté for 10min. Added chicken stock, garlic and herbs. Cooked on high pressure for 45min with a 15min release.

Came out pretty good. Would have probably been better if I did it slow in a Dutch oven.

HarryLopez

Phil Edwards status
Jan 17, 2007
Neck deep
IMG_1631.jpgIMG_1607.jpg

No knead bread:
3C Bob's Red Mill artisan flour
2t salt
1/4t active yeast
1 1/2C warm water
Mix dry, add water. I use 3 fingers to combine, very sticky dough. Let sit 10ish hours on counter, or maybe longer in fridge if need (warm up to room temp before bake).
Preheat oven to 450, with dutch oven or cast iron with lid in oven for 30 mins. Before heating, fold dough couple times. Then put in dutch oven, lid on for 30 mins, then take lid off for 15 mins. So simple, loaf lasts few days. Tried folding in raisins, cinnamon sugar and it worked.

Reactions: grapedrink

GWS_2

Miki Dora status
Aug 3, 2019
They say the average American has gained more than five pounds since this mess started.

Never settle for average.

• Haha
Reactions: Joshua2415

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
View attachment 91742View attachment 91743

No knead bread:
3C Bob's Red Mill artisan flour
2t salt
1/4t active yeast
1 1/2C warm water
Mix dry, add water. I use 3 fingers to combine, very sticky dough. Let sit 10ish hours on counter, or maybe longer in fridge if need (warm up to room temp before bake).
Preheat oven to 450, with dutch oven or cast iron with lid in oven for 30 mins. Before heating, fold dough couple times. Then put in dutch oven, lid on for 30 mins, then take lid off for 15 mins. So simple, loaf lasts few days. Tried folding in raisins, cinnamon sugar and it worked.
I've made at least 5 loaves with a similar recipe. I'm considering folding in garlic cloves next time.

I've been cultivating a sourdough starter but I've run out of bread dough to us it with

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016
^^ I add worchestershire and/or tiny bit of anchovy paste for umami. Yep, in a dutch oven at 250-275 for few/several hours depending on lbs of meat.
Dammit. I forgot to pick up anchovy paste yesterday.

Here's my current dilemna...

I have an InstantPot
I have a non-enameled cast iron dutch oven (Lodge. the kind you could basically through in a campfire to boil water.)
I have a non-stick stock pot

I'd like to use the dutch oven, but I wonder if the wine will strip the seasoning from the cast iron pan. I'll probably go for it anyway, but I really need to get an enameled one.