The Corona Cuisine Thread

Mr Doof

Duke status
Jan 23, 2002
San Francisco, CA
They say the average American has gained more than five pounds since this mess started.

Never settle for average.

We got the Horseman of Conquest invoking the pestilence thing now, so I've decided to start prepping for the famine thing before we get the war and death thing. Just easier to carry some stored calories under the skin and save room in the backpack for extra munitions.

(Disclaimer: gallows humor, I' m not being serious)

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: GWS_2

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009
Edit 2:
We also have heirloom Fiestaware dutch oven just like this for those times when the cast iron one isn't optimal. Sweetie-pie picked it up from a Goodwill back in the 80s...bet you could find a few in some thriftstores in, oh, Salt Lake City:View attachment 91889
heh, i have some of that....it came in the divorced-guy starter pack, as put together by my family, as i was setting up house after my first domestic fiasco 30 years ago. the pots are heavy as hell but conduct heat better than anything. same color too (y)

Reactions: Aruka and Mr Doof

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
Too lazy to dig up the wine thread. Opolo Cab pretty tasty. FR Blend bueno too. 20200529_165652.jpg

HarryLopez

Phil Edwards status
Jan 17, 2007
Neck deep
IMG_0531.jpgIMG_0535.jpg

May have to throw another batch of this napa cabbage kim chee together. Used gochujang paste this time vs. dried and the added liquid was noticable. Leave in garage, check after 3-4 days to loosen lids/release gas, then few checks of every couple days, then fridge if you want to slow ferment. Eat fresh or ferment longer to taste. Also can kim chee other cabbages, cucumbers, onion.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
Potstickers take 2. Pork, cabbage, onion, garlic, ginger, smoked chili powder blend, salt. Bought the wrappers this time. Still a little work getting them all made up but much quicker than doing it all from scratch. Really happy with how they came out. I opted to do them in the pan, brown in olive oil on both sides then add a splash of water and cover with lid, let them steam for a few min to make sure pork is well cooked. 20200530_205741.jpg
Also did short ribs in the instant pot a few days back. Basted with bbq sauce and finished under the broiler. Probably could have given them more of a char but I was hungry and impatient. This method is so easy compared to manning the Traeger all day. Going to try baby back ribs next to see how they stack up.20200528_211638.jpg

afoaf

Duke status
Jun 25, 2008
YOU"RE A GODWIZARD!!!

I want to learn how to do this....been looking at the baccus jars at the
korean market but haven't sprung yet.

View attachment 92011View attachment 92012

May have to throw another batch of this napa cabbage kim chee together. Used gochujang paste this time vs. dried and the added liquid was noticable. Leave in garage, check after 3-4 days to loosen lids/release gas, then few checks of every couple days, then fridge if you want to slow ferment. Eat fresh or ferment longer to taste. Also can kim chee other cabbages, cucumbers, onion.

Reactions: Aruka

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009
I made fried chicken for the first time the other night. Turned out tasty. Some of it was slightly overcooked on the outside, but super moist and tasty.
like deep fried? i've tried to get away with minimal oil but it's not the same. on the other hand, i just can't bring myself to throw something into a pot of oil.... have lived in the South too long, scorned Southern cuisine with my snotty northeast cultural elitism - can't bring myself to deep fry in my own kitchen and will therefore probably never produce decent fried chicken. but damn it's good.

Aruka

Tom Curren status
Feb 23, 2010
PNW
like deep fried? i've tried to get away with minimal oil but it's not the same. on the other hand, i just can't bring myself to throw something into a pot of oil.... have lived in the South too long, scorned Southern cuisine with my snotty northeast cultural elitism - can't bring myself to deep fry in my own kitchen and will therefore probably never produce decent fried chicken. but damn it's good.
My neighbor keeps telling me about an "air fryer"? I haven't looked into it. He says it uses way less oil. I love fried food, especially chicken and fish but it makes me feel terrible so I rarely eat it.

Bob Dobbalina

Miki Dora status
Feb 23, 2016

Yeah. I used a cast-iron dutch oven. I tripped out at how much oil I needed. I considered using the skillet but decided against the mess and opted for the taller sides.

I don't know how regularly I could bring myself to do it

$kully

Duke status
Feb 27, 2009

It's funny I'm happy to eat deep fried food in a restaurant but there's something about doing it myself that grosses me out when the oil is that deep. Total double standard.

Reactions: afoaf and sussle

HarryLopez

Phil Edwards status
Jan 17, 2007
Neck deep
Tough to get the DEEP fry going at home for me because of the amount of oil. I'll use a more narrow pot, fry small batches to cut down on wasted oil. Have strained it and reused next day.

Loves to fry me some karaage chicken, donuts/malasadas, onion rings sometimes. #fatass

Reactions: $kully and Aruka

Subway

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 31, 2008
LBNY
Semi related. Price of gold is back up. for How many months will a single Kruggerand feed a frugal adult couple with no kids? Asking for a friend

• Haha
Reactions: PPK96754