Technique and Coaching

oeste858

Phil Edwards status
Sep 11, 2017
San Diego, CA
I think traditionally a lot of guys gravitated towards surfing instead of organized sports. My older bro surfed in the 70's-80's as an escape from rules and coaching of youth sports (also couldn't throw a ball). But I grew up playing sports and surfing, and coaching seems like a normal way to try to improve some aspect you might feel is not as good as it could be. I don't see anything different about the idea of working on some b-side turn technique to enjoy surfing more, than say, taking a tennis lesson to improve your serve: it's something you will use every time you play/session, and has nothing to do with wanting to play in tournaments/ surf in contests or surf like a robot. Double-faulting even while playing with your buddies sucks.
A lot of us have been surfing for decades, and never seen ourselves surf. It's easy to develop bad habits and not even realize. I bet if I saw video of myself surfing a few waves, I could notice 2-3 things pretty easily that I would want to look smoother or tweak. Maybe ignorance is bliss. Closest I've come is Surfline's rewind cam, which was not as bad as I feared but too grainy to make out much detail.

For OP, @Lohena I would suggest Shane Beschen's instagram as a start. He posts some good tips about body positioning and stuff like weighting/unweighting through turns.
Not sure where your located, but ex-wqs pro Duran Barr (@_duranimal)
does private/group coaching in Oside: https://www.northcountysurfacademy.com It sounds pretty inconspicuous: just video your session from the beach, then review it together and go over some pointers, then go surf again. I've considered it, but not sure my fragile surf ego could handle the truth! LOL

Last edited:

ghostshaper

Phil Edwards status
Jan 22, 2005
Eventually, anything gets to the point where you need to put in time to improve any further. I needed to surf at least 3x/week, otherwise, my timing would be off. I decided that I would let go of my ego and resign to getting worse as slowly as I could, especially after kids. Then I started to try to enjoy being out there and not at work. Way more enjoyment.

Getting coached as an adult is comical, as is getting coached to surf comps.

• Love
Reactions: afoaf

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
A local surf coach was coaching a kid in Oceanside when I was out one day. It was a fun small day. Clean and sunny. Not crowded.

It just seemed odd to me.

It gave a weird vibe.

It's was like, "Hey, we're trying to work here."

Where I was in the same sphere as they were trying to have fun.

They were acting like, as a result, they had priority.

It's was an odd juxtaposition.

I think it's really good to film yourself.

I see myself and go, OHMYGOD!
Tha
On. side note: I was having trouble foil boarding and I put my front foot further up and it changed everything.

A coach could have told me that

Where is my foil coach!
That would irk my ilk.

One-Off

Tom Curren status
Jul 28, 2005
33.8N - 118.4W
Decades back there was this kid (who I will not name) that was an amazing talent. We all had him pegged as Tommy the sequel. His father would yell at him from the beach with a bullhorn as he surfed down the point. I was sitting next to him one time when his dad started yelling about a set. The poor kid just looked down, shook his head, then looked at me and rolled his eyes. "Have you ever asked him to stop doing that?"

"There's no stopping him."

About a year later the kid vanished. Decade or so later I ran into the father and he remembered me. I asked him where his kid was, remarked that I never saw him the water anymore. "Oh, he quit surfing. Decided he wanted to play soccer."

Where the refs will throw a parent off the field for yelling with a bullhorn.

I had a very famous pro give me a solid tip a long time ago. Surfing on your frontside, for cutbacks and in some cases top turns, if you drop your lead arm and use your hand/arm as a pivot point your weight naturally shifts to your front foot which enables you to tighten the arc with board slide. If you want to carve all the way through say a 180 degree plus cutback, raise your lead arm as you engage the rail.

That will be $99.99

Cash. :dancing:
$99.99?

Bend at zee knees. Five dollars pleez.

jkb

Tom Curren status
Feb 22, 2005
Central California
Some days I consciously try to improve my surfing and some days I don't.

I find I have more fun when I'm not thinking about improving and just being in the moment. That's what I'm there for anyways.

I'll admit if I do something that improves my surfing, I get pretty stocked on that advancement.

I don't know man. Do what makes you feel good.

Duke status
Feb 20, 2003
i have a carver skateboard and it feels more like surfing than any other skateboard ive tried
u can pump it without putting a foot down
if i coached i might suggest working on yiur form on a carver

Lohena

OTF status
Oct 30, 2019
i have a carver skateboard and it feels more like surfing than any other skateboard ive tried
u can pump it without putting a foot down
if i coached i might suggest working on yiur form on a carver
This is what Noel is doing on his patreon page. I believe Martin uses them in his coaching too. I've been using an older Carver for awhile now. Longer one at 37" with C7 truck.

Started thinking more about technique about 10 years ago. Watch videos, use carver etc., just never videoed myself or received any feedback.

Here's a link to that podcast for anyone who's interested:.

Reactions: Havoc

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
Having a couch sounds similar to having a buddy photog in the water when surfing. Panic city. Id never be exposed enough to make that feel normal.

I surf to get my mind off life, not find another thing to optimize.

specific to Salad type pay videos - I don’t have the patience to sit through them.

Truth

Phil Edwards status
Jul 18, 2002
most can just review a quick video of themselves to see what is out of whack - those who say they dont care either have perfect style or are full of it

human nature to want to do better

had to hire that "coach" for my kid bc she charges, does turns but was looking like a 1990s Brazzo WQS warrior

was hard to watch

problem solved now

Muscles

Michael Peterson status
Jun 1, 2013
California/Hawaii
most can just review a quick video of themselves to see what is out of whack - those who say they dont care either have perfect style or are full of it
Why is that?

I honestly don't give two fucks about how great I surf. It is a time wasting hobby that I do when I'm not at work or spending time with my kids. Can't people just enjoy it?

Lohena

OTF status
Oct 30, 2019
Why is that?

I honestly don't give two fucks about how great I surf. It is a time wasting hobby that I do when I'm not at work or spending time with my kids. Can't people just enjoy it?
Absolutely! To each their own I say.

HarryLopez

Phil Edwards status
Jan 17, 2007
Neck deep
Not sure whether to call it coaching since I can't remember where or who told me, but these pointers helped me tremendously:

triangulate position/staying in same place
chin down when paddling
watch surf for a few sets when bigger
know the tide
who is a local
what the bottom is doing, i.e. sand build up
get horse rides from local chicks
and everything Chandler told me whilst watching the ocean

racer1

Tom Curren status
Apr 16, 2014
Honolulu, Hawaii
You are describing a personality type more than anything. You sound a lot like me with golf. I started playing golf at 30 as an escape from summer grovelling in crowded small surf. I got addicted to golf. I was improving rapidly and it was addictive. You reach a point though where as an adult with a family and a job you just can't get better without losing the job and family. For me that point was when I got to be a 4 handicap. Since then after a few years at a pretty good level its been a slow slide backwards as age and injuries and life has caught up with me. Its not fun like it used to be except for those exceptional days when it all comes together. I've actually been putting more effort into surfing again now that the golf game is slipping.
This is why I hate golf. You start playing to not fuck up then it's just fuck up after fuck up.

Uberkuque

Gerry Lopez status
Nov 19, 2014
This is what Noel is doing on his patreon page. I believe Martin uses them in his coaching too. I've been using an older Carver for awhile now. Longer one at 37" with C7 truck.

Started thinking more about technique about 10 years ago. Watch videos, use carver etc., just never videoed myself or received any feedback.

Here's a link to that podcast for anyone who's interested:.

I just ride my regular board with super loose trucks. Pumping and propelling with that (I can go indefinitely on flat ground without having to kickturn or put a foot on the ground) has allowed me to develop movement patterns that carry over really well to the water.

Reactions: Lohena

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Why is that?

I honestly don't give two fucks about how great I surf.
Just because you don't care how great you surf doesn't mean you aren't trying to get better. Unless you literally go straight every wave - straight off Adolph - beginner styley.

Trying to get better - making the most out of every wave with the board you are riding - is inherent to surfing

If I could give you a tip that would help you get a little more out of every wave would you take it?

sdsrfr

Phil Edwards status
Jul 13, 2020
San Diego
This rando on the stairs coached me once as I was getting out of the water. Minimal feedback but has resonated for years.

“you’re good. You’re scrappy and you catch a lot of waves. But, you get to your feet and surf like a girl. Pop up, stay low, hit the $hit out of the lip. Repeat”

I tried to respond and he cut me off...

”no. stay low, hit the lip. stay low... hit the lip. You’re good. You’ll figure it out” And he walked off never to be seen again.

that moment with the random has done more for my surfing than any buddy photog or Surfline rewind has.

not sure how it helps this thread.

Reactions: Lohena