Technique and Coaching

Lohena

OTF status
Oct 30, 2019
Any experience on focusing on technique and getting coached out there?

Always found it odd that although surfing is a highly technical activity to get good at, focusing on technique and getting a coach is not really a thing. At least in the US unless you're a kid looking to be competitive and sponsored.

I get the whole alternative lifestyle aspect of surfing, but after decades of logging countless hours in the water, I have yet to video myself for technical reasons or ever be coached. This is virtually unheard of in any other endeavor that requires some level of technical skills. Especially for me.

I recently joined Noel Salas' patreon page that focuses on technique and skateboard drills. Good stuff. Also found a Surf Mastery podcast that rocks. Thinking of getting a Soloshot and paying for online coaching, maybe Martin Dunn. This is likely to have a better payoff than thinking some expensive new board design, construction, or fins will really move the needle that much.

Reactions: Havoc

_____

Phil Edwards status
Sep 17, 2012
Pitching, soccer, gymnastics, golf coaches make lots of sense to me but for any sport I can't think of many things sillier than a surfing coach unless you want to learn how to surf for points in a conest and develop a mostly unoriginal style.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
Good surfing feels better than bad surfing.

The enjoyment the pros get out of a session is 100x more than 99% of surfers because the feeling good surfing brings is replicated multiple times a session. Turns are linked better, overall flow is better, turns are performed with optimal technique.

Everybody wants to surf better, they just don't admit it. If a coach helps you consistently surf better I don't see what the problem is.

casa_mugrienta

Duke status
Apr 13, 2008
Petak Island
I’ve never purposely tried to ‘get better’ at surfing. I just go surf.
Everyone is always trying to get better.

The better you surf the more the joy of surfing increases.

I'm sure even old guys like Skip Frye are still looking for ways ride waves better. The focus may shift, but the desire to derive optimum pleasure does not.

Reactions: Havoc

Duffy LaCoronilla

Duke status
Apr 27, 2016

I'm sure even old guys like Skip Frye are still looking for ways ride waves better. The focus may shift, but the desire to derive optimum pleasure does not.
The enjoyment I get from surfing doesn’t come from technique and isn’t something that can be coached.

HarryLopez

Phil Edwards status
Jan 17, 2007
Neck deep

The enjoyment the pros get out of a session is 100x more than 99% of surfers because the feeling good surfing brings is replicated multiple times a session. Turns are linked better, overall flow is better, turns are performed with optimal technique.

Everybody wants to surf better, they just don't admit it. If a coach helps you consistently surf better I don't see what the problem is.
Ignorance is bliss. Happiest to surf with friends, catch and ride a wave to feel the glide. Hell, even just bobbing around in the salt water is fuckn glorious!

I've seen more pros than regulars get pissed/snapped/punch boards/yell at others/etc... as a reaction to/frustration that they didn't surf up to their own expectation.

I got no problems with someone wanting coaching.

Reactions: Aruka and Autoprax

gbg

Miki Dora status
Jan 22, 2006
Anybody try the free 2 week plan on the surf athlete app? Just did the plan for 2 weeks.

I am feeling really good. Besides my normal stretch plan, this has helped with my balance and movement. My back has never felt better.

sussle

Rabbitt Bartholomew status
Oct 11, 2009

i'll bet you my 11 y/o has way more fun than most pros.

Havoc

Phil Edwards status
May 23, 2016
in da hood next to paradise

yeah 1 good turn or wipeout can make the session. the guys on giant boards need tons more waves to achieve the same stock bc they suck